JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Probably, and they'd certainly be easier to do, but I have doubts about the strength and longevity of ally ones. They are only thin hollow sections after all. I can see them going all wobbly when you nail them on. My last remaining tack strip is pretty bent up and thats brass. I wouldn't want ally tack strips near a non black coloured top either! You could never polish them without leaving black streaks!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
17 years ago

Probably, and they'd certainly be easier to do, but I have doubts about the strength and longevity of ally ones. They are only thin hollow sections after all. I can see them going all wobbly when you nail them on. My last remaining tack strip is pretty bent up and thats brass. I wouldn't want ally tack strips near a non black coloured top either! You could never polish them without leaving black streaks!

"JD" wrote:

I was wondering about them going wobbly, my hood had the one left on it and that was pretty bent. This meant that the chrome chipped off because it doesn't bend too well, you wouldn't have that problem with ally - nothing would chip off. Strength wise I think they'd be fine, I was thinking that if they needed a re-polish you could lay down some 2" masking tape each side of the strip and polish away without getting it on the material.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
2splits
17 years ago
If you can swing it, go with brass like the originals. Wolfsburg West's are aluminum and as I said, are pretty low quality. I know a bunch of people who would be interested (shit, I would take a set), if the price was decent and quality was there.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
C'mon Jules! How about having a bunch of these things made up for the shop? Seems like theres more than a few of us interested. 😎
UserPostedImage
2splits
17 years ago

'55 RHD cabrio on UK Ebay... 

Could be a good start if the price is right!

"six-o-one" wrote:

Ouch. That thing is a mess!
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
I was talking to the guy who had just bought that thing on another forum only a few weeks back. Have to wonder why he's moving it on already!
UserPostedImage