qwerty
17 years ago
Found car in Northern California where it has been for 20+ years in a garage. Missing exterior trim, seats, etc. Has Porsche style grille in engine decklid - not sure of history of this. Has standard 36HP engine. Interior appears to have been blue (top of dash and vinyl around windshield) and silver (face of dash guage cluster). Exterior in primer - possibly was white. Will contact Herr Grundmann to see if he has more info. Pictures on the samba in coachbuilt gallery - one included here
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
qwerty
17 years ago
tried another shot - seems to repeat this one - go to here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/294062.jpg 

5838.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
17 years ago
That's amazing! :shock: :shock: :shock:

How many days untill the next one is discovered!! 😎

What are your plans for this one, will it be up for sale?
Andy Sparks
17 years ago
You been rallying this car?

Good find.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
pre67vw
17 years ago
Wow! Why are they all popping up now I wonder?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
qwerty
17 years ago
For now, we are going to clean it up and get it running. I have #257 which I purchased many years ago as a shell and restored pan - this is now painted and being put back together. #247 will help to show where the wiring harness really goes, the exact order of dash switches and lights, screw sizes, rubber profiles etc. For example, there is a small piece of sheet metal under the rear seat area (kind of where the battery would normally be in a VW) that we had not seen before. I think the next step will be to get #247 to drive - while finding out as much as I can about the history, then decide in the future after #257 is finished what to do with #247.

Mark
SplitPersonality
17 years ago

For now, we are going to clean it up and get it running. I have #257 which I purchased many years ago as a shell and restored pan - this is now painted and being put back together. #247 will help to show where the wiring harness really goes, the exact order of dash switches and lights, screw sizes, rubber profiles etc. For example, there is a small piece of sheet metal under the rear seat area (kind of where the battery would normally be in a VW) that we had not seen before. I think the next step will be to get #247 to drive - while finding out as much as I can about the history, then decide in the future after #257 is finished what to do with #247.

Mark

"qwerty" wrote:

Absolutely unbeleivable find Mark! One "beater" for driving, and one "shiny" for show - sounds like the perfect Rometsch-ownership!

In the Registry we have got your "old" car booked as number 252. I see you now list 257. Confusion..or is there actually three of them linked to your name?

Oystein
([email protected])
qwerty
17 years ago
You are right - I got my numbers mixed up - the other one being restored is #252 and is a '57 - that's probably how I messed up...

Ray and Tom N repaired a few spark plug wires, and shot some spray start in the carb and fired the motor up yesterday while I was at work (gotta quit that job...). Still needs disassembly to remove the mouse nests, however...
Tom couldn't stand it and did a bit of polishing on the dash. Paint appears to have been two tone - dark blue on top of dash and guage eyebrows, and then silver elsewhere. Interior was dark blue - still some vinyl left covering sheet metal.

Mark
2splits
17 years ago

You are right - I got my numbers mixed up - the other one being restored is #252 and is a '57 - that's probably how I messed up...

Ray and Tom N repaired a few spark plug wires, and shot some spray start in the carb and fired the motor up yesterday while I was at work (gotta quit that job...). Still needs disassembly to remove the mouse nests, however...
Tom couldn't stand it and did a bit of polishing on the dash. Paint appears to have been two tone - dark blue on top of dash and guage eyebrows, and then silver elsewhere. Interior was dark blue - still some vinyl left covering sheet metal.

Mark

"qwerty" wrote:

I love it. Keep us posted!
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356