Gareth
17 years ago
Hi all. I had my bug in the body shop last week. Since it has come back out the generator light is staying on and there is no charge getting back to my battery. I have checked all the wiring around the dynamo and the voltage regulator and everything seems sound. Even though the engine bay itself was not sprayed the decklid was off for some work and I am wondering if any paint particles could have got in anywhere and gummed anything up. I'm a bit of a novice with electricals and after having an auto electrician out this week he said it was either the regulator or the dynamo, I just keep thinking it seems coincidental that all was fine up until the bodyshop. There was a new regulator put on about 3 years back (18k miles approx) any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks Gareth
Gareth
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi Gareth,
I would have thought a good electrician should have been able to pinpoint exactly where the fault is.

It might just be worn brushes in the dynamo which is easy to check, or if they look okay then there's a simple test you can do using a multimeter to check the dynamo output. Also, check your fanbelt isn't slipping.

More info can be found here...

https://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm 

Hope this helps! 😃