ABVWC
  • ABVWC
  • Regular Topic Starter
17 years ago
I posted this in the general chat forum then thought it might be better here :?

Had an enquiry on the ABVWC Forum and wondered if anyone can help

Grampian Transport Museum in Scotland.
We have found in our store a model VW Beetle, mounted on a stand marked 'Heiligenhausen 1947'. I have found out this is a town in Germany, but does it have a VW connection? Can anyone throw any light on this matter?
The model is aluminium, was blue painted, now fairly oxidised, and measures approx 10cm x 24cm on a thin metal base with raised metal lettering

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Bjoern
17 years ago
In the late 1940s, a few casted beetle modells were made by Volkswagen as a christmas-gift for a handfull workers . I have heard about a number of 500 cars. They were fixed on a metal base with a plate. A member of our shop got this modell from his grandfather and will bring it to me for a foto-shooting tomorrow morning.

Heiligenhausen is a small town close to Velbert. In this area, a lot of companies exist, who produces metalparts for the technical industrie. I have no idea, if there is any company in Heiligenhausen, who delivered parts for the production of Volkswagen, but maybe it is the right way of thinking.
Bjoern
17 years ago
Pics of the Diecast-beetle made by Volkswagen in the end 1940s  7865.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Bjoern
17 years ago
inside... Please note the two "nipples". At these points, regulary the screws for the base were fixed.  7866.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Bjoern
17 years ago
The grandpa of my friend died in the 1950s. He works at the casting office of Volkswagen. The material looks a little bit the same like the 1947 gearboxes and enignecases were made  7867.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Bjoern
17 years ago
Is it the same type of model like you mean?  7868.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ABVWC
  • ABVWC
  • Regular Topic Starter
17 years ago
Bjoern,
Many thanks for the photo's.......

The latest news on the model found, is that it could be a VW model made from Aluminium that was given to dealers. It is believed only another two are known, but the unusual thing is that this one is still on it's base. One is known in the UK and the other in Autostadt.

As soon as I get permission from the museum I'll post a few pictures.

It is similar to the one you have pictured except you can see inside the VW where there are seats. The wheels turn, but have screws to mount them to a plate. Like your picture it has no bumpers.
ABVWC
  • ABVWC
  • Regular Topic Starter
17 years ago
Firstly many thanks to this forum for helping to solve this mystery and bring another peice of VW history back into the limelight.

mrsherbie, Robin A and Bjoern, all enthusiasts willing to help.

Here is a picture of the little beauty

UserPostedImage
There is apparently another two known to exist, one of which is in the Autostadt Museum.

The museum housing the model is called Grampian Transport
Museum, Alford, Aberdeenshire. Looks like a good excuse for a summer holiday in Scotland next year :wink:
Museum web link https://www.gtm.org.uk/index.html 

Regards
Graham
Association of British VW Clubs
mrsherbie
17 years ago
What a cool result! 😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann