48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
17 years ago
Well as I was getting somewhere with having my 1959 Standard re-registered, the DVLA decided to fail me at the inspection because the speedo is in kilometres rather than miles!
Another great example of the increasing unnecessary paperwork and bureaucracy crippling this 'big brother' of a country!
As I explained that there are hundreds of vintage VWs driving in kilometres in this country, I was strongly advised that I should report the owners of such vehicles so that they could be inspected and also banned from the road until they were converted!
Lovely mentality!
'Like hell I'm going to tell you' was my answer!
Anyway, I am wondering if any of you UK or US drivers might have an old (even broken) speedo I could dismantle and use the MPH fascia of, or simply fit as is for my next inspection. Maybe I could just borrow one for the day...?
Any help or alternative suggestion would be welcome!

I wonder what they'll do with incoming KDFs, knowing they never had miles displayed! Guess you can't bring these in anymore...
It smells of totalitarism...
:shock:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
If you read through all the paperwork you get to register a car, it says you need a MPH speed to pass an MOT as well! :shock:

My US 914 was inspected but the Heb wasn't, so I guess I was lucky!

I've not had a problem with MOTs yet either...

:roll:
six-o-one
17 years ago
I'll lend you the one from my '58 or I might have a spare later one if that's any good?
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
That would be great if you don't mind! Must be the festive season coz
you made my day! 😃 :shock: 😃 :shock:
Rich Oakley
17 years ago
Nicolas, I have spare MPH speedometers too if you need to borrow one.

None of my cars have ever failed for having a KPH speedo. Your MoT inspector must be very observant! 🙂
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Pm'd you.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Scoops
17 years ago
I've got a speedo with a busted needle, you are welcome to the face!
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
Thanks...I have borrowed one from Richard and colour-copied the dial which I stuck over the glass of my own.
They were happy with that and I passed the test and got my number. Needless to say I ripped it off as soon as I left the DVLA compound! 😃
1958 Harry
17 years ago
Mine was in KM's imported fine and been thru 2 MOT's, i've now changed it for a MPH one, for my sanity more than anything else - but it doesn't Work - lol! :lol:

I didn't realise it should be in MPH for the MOT tho!
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj