zelensis61
17 years ago
Look inside this one on the right... :shock:
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
kdf38
17 years ago
WOW, I'd like to have that / those on my bookshelf...

Look inside this one on the right... :shock:

"zelensis61" wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
zelensis
17 years ago

Where are they?

"six-o-one" wrote:

Somewhere over there.
 9276.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
zelensis
17 years ago
I did not find the right building yet :cry:
 9313.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
17 years ago
Can I help looking for them?
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
overrestored
17 years ago
Isn't this the box that held the documents now on Hebmuller.com? The story is that the Hebmuller.com documents were copied from the VW archive...

Perhaps that was a different box and this is a new box on the cost breakdown only???...

The person who has been through these archives is a big contributor to this forum... but because the documents were copied... well I think that this person wants to remain private. (no it isn't Bruce)

I am very glad that he took a risk though... as it has given the people who really care...all of us enthusiasts... a great insight to the inner workings of VW and Hebmuller's relationship that would have never been known if it were up to VW.

Here is an example.
 9319.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
protect me from what I want
Hebster52
17 years ago
I thought Yan Rami had the "Hebmuller Bible":o
The HebsterWerks.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Well thats a very unflattering letter! :shock:

"Herr Director-general Nordhoff,

After another visit to the firm Hebmüller, that I made with Herr Schick, we have once again established that the quality of work from Hebmüller is awful, and that we really can't offer Kabriolett buyers such a poor product. It is my view that if we want to avoid problems with our dealers and customers, then we should offer a Kabriolett of our own construction as soon as possible. The firm Hebmüller has available, at the moment, a workforce that is not trained enough to build a Kabriolett to our required standards.

I have given them a list of faults to correct, that were found on a Kabriolett that was shown to us here."

Pretty damning eh?
Glad I've got a Karmann Kabriolett now.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
zelensis61
17 years ago
So what happend 5 days after sending that telegramm ...? :shock:
What a coincidence ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Somebody was obvious not happy after showing car nr 44 with the faults on it.

Greetings . Peter

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
overrestored
17 years ago
Hebmuller was not the only one to get complaints!  9346.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
17 years ago
page 2  9347.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
17 years ago
page 3  9348.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Zelensis - Sorry - what did happen five days after the letter was sent?

Overrestored - Any chance of re-posting those pages a bit larger - or pm me them please? I can't read them as they are.

Its funny how much extra strengthening ended up in Karmann Cabrios by the time they stopped making them in comparison the early versions. Its almost like admitting that they weren't right in the first place! Mine wobbles like mad over bumps. And lets not even start on Karmanns idea of what constitutes "rustproofing". 😃
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
zelensis61
17 years ago
Hi there..
Five days after sending that telegram( 16/07/1949) there was a litle spark in a paintboot full of paint, varnish, thinners and lots of high flameble products.
😞 That spark set a whole part from a coachbuilt factory in fire. on saturday 21/07/1949.) 😶
The result of the investigation is unknown to me what set teh plant on fire but that is a strange coincidence to me :roll:

I think some of those doc are from bruce his site. www.hebmuller.com
greetings.
Greets,
pre67vw
17 years ago

Overrestored - Any chance of re-posting those pages a bit larger - or pm me them please? I can't read them as they are.

"JD" wrote:

I think they're all available here www.hebmuller.com 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
17 years ago

The result of the investigation is unknown to me what set the plant on fire but that is a strange coincidence to me :roll:

Greets,

"zelensis61" wrote:

I don't really see what either side had to gain from a deliberate fire, Wolfsburg could simply cancel the order and Hebmueller went to great lengths to get up and running again as soon as possible.

The fire is often quoted as being the end of Hebmueller, but from the fire in '49 to bankruptcy in '52 it looks to me to not be directly responsible. In my opinion, the factory never quite managed to recover after the war and was plagued with quality problems.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
overrestored
17 years ago
I have copies of all the docs on Bruce's site. We got them from the same source at the same time. Bruce has them all translated to english on his site if you care to read them. The sequence of events does put the fire under suspicion in my mind.

The fire happened just a few days after that quality control note. This is just one communication in a whole series of communications that happened just prior to and just after the fire.

VW had loaned Hebmuller 200,000 dm for tooling and wanted 166,000dm (the actual cost of the tooling minus the design cost)... or the tooling back. VW also wanted the insurance money for the cars.

So they could not simply leave hebmuller without incurring a pretty big loss. They did not rule out taking Heb to court... they kind of threatened Hebmuller at one point. Heb offered to give whatever tooling he had back and think that was that.