surfheadz
17 years ago
Hi all, Im hoping some of you experts can help me out here!! I have a August 1967 (F) 1300 beetle. This is my first beetle so i dont know a great deal about them but i am learning!! I understand that some 67 panels are one year only, does this apply to the late 67s or is it just the early 67s, I have had some contradicting answers and i am probably more confused now. At the moment it has a 68 rear apron, not sure about the deck lid, i am assuming this may be 68 as it wouldnt fit otherwise. Is this right or not, someone told me it is probably correct as the late 67s are a mixture of bits but i dont know how true this comment is!! Please help!!! Here are some pics. :?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
If your beetle was built in August 1967 It would be a 1968 model as VW model years run from 1st August to the end of July.

The 68 model year was the first with upright headlights and the shorter front bonnet with the square 'Euro' style bumpers and arch shaped rear lights on the 1300 and 1500 models, with the 1200 retaining the earlier style round bumpers and rear lights like yours.

Also 68 got a trigger style door handle instead of the round push button handle used for the '67 model.

If it was built before August it will have a long bonnet at the front but will have thin chrome trim. The rear lid and rear vallance was a 1 year only thing and the doors are a mixture of old and new bits too.

Hope this helps and doesn't add to the confusion! :wink:
surfheadz
17 years ago
Oh i see, so that means most of the bits on mine arent original then such as the sloping headlights, bumpers and rear lights-doh 😞 . Thats not such good news but i am grateful for the info!! How do you know all this, lots of research i guess??!!

Thanks alot for your response and for sharing your knowledge :wink:
six-o-one
17 years ago

Oh i see, so that means most of the bits on mine arent original then such as the sloping headlights, bumpers and rear lights-doh 😞 . Thats not such good news but i am grateful for the info!! How do you know all this, lots of research i guess??!!

Thanks alot for your response and for sharing your knowledge :wink:

"surfheadz" wrote:

I used to own an E-reg '67 1500 beetle and I now own an F-reg '68 1500 beetle which has early panels fitted!
six-o-one
17 years ago
This is the '67 only engine lid. It's similar to the later lids but a little longer.

There are a few threads on here about this 67 1500 beetle with some more info about 67 only stuff.

9238.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
simonhanloncole
17 years ago
This was a weird time at Wolfsburg, new director massive changes to the Bug and Bus all old parts where used up and about this time you get a mix of old and new, i have seen this type of thing before so your bug is probably original and quite unique.
It looks mighty fine to me and i would just enjoy it, at least you don't have to worry about the one year only valance and engine lid. If anyone runs into the back of me it will take me decades to find a new valance and lid for my 67.
Simon
surfheadz
17 years ago
Hi Simon, thanks for this info - lets hope that this is the case with my bug because i do love her how she is and i was a bit dissapointed to hear that alot the bits may not be quite right. I guess I am very paticular and a bit of a perfectionist!! 😃 . There seems to be so many different variables!! I think you have the best advice....just enjoy it!!! Thanks again-happy days!!
simonhanloncole
17 years ago
I'll try and find out some more detailed information and post back again