samghia
16 years ago
Just about their for trip to Bad Camberg,replaced front wheel bearings this week end, contraption required now to satisfy MOT guy I have washers,refusing to drill holes,so i'll have to rig something up,unless anyone can tell me different,seems the car must have them.

Regards Sam.
53 Oval
63 Ghia
64 Deluxe
71 Fastback
95 Golf Karmann Cabrio
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
If it has no washers on the car now it wont need them, only if they are fitted do they have to work.
48REME
16 years ago
MOT requires that your car is fully functional and equipped as it was when it left the factory. 😃
Jules
16 years ago
I think you will find that you do now have to have washers fitted, regardless of weather the car had them fitted from now, or not.

One exception is if your vehicle is fitted with a hinged windshield that folds down, or up, so, Safari's on buses will get around it.

I have herd of people rigging up a crude squirter system with a Fairy Up Liquid bottle and getting an MOT!

48REME
16 years ago
It also depends on how bloody-minded the inspectors are...I was lucky enough never to be quizzed about washers, for MOT or when importing a car. However, I was told to have a speedo in miles instead of km/h by the DVLA inspector, when I imported my 59, last December.
Robin Allen who is himself a DVLA inspector, subsequently told me that the inspector had absolutely no right to ask for this and to fail the inspection on that basis. This only applies to cars less than 10 years old.
mmayson
16 years ago
Well my washers dribble out continuously when I attach the pipe to the spare wheel or inflate the bottle. Do they count? :lol: Anyone got a washer/wiper switch,button thingy for a 1957?
Michael Mayson
samghia
16 years ago
Have rigged up a contraption to get me through,strip it out when I'm finished
going back in on friday for re test hopefully be alright.

Thanks for your replies,next stop Camberg.

Regards Sam.
53 Oval
63 Ghia
64 Deluxe
71 Fastback
95 Golf Karmann Cabrio
mrsherbie
16 years ago
Hi, yes as Jules says, its a retrofit requirement unless you have a good understanding MOT man (we havent washers on either split) But if you get stuck a small Fairy Bottle with some tube taped on so that you can squirt from the inside is a passable way which they cant question. One of those stupid things!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

Hi, yes as Jules says, its a retrofit requirement unless you have a good understanding MOT man (we havent washers on either split) But if you get stuck a small Fairy Bottle with some tube taped on so that you can squirt from the inside is a passable way which they cant question. One of those stupid things!

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Same as, my oval has a washer fitted but no bottle, so i just fill the pipe up when its due for an mot.
samghia
16 years ago
Rigged up an electric set up just cause I'm a bit sad using just stuff from my garage, will pull it out once the deed is done.

Sam.
53 Oval
63 Ghia
64 Deluxe
71 Fastback
95 Golf Karmann Cabrio
samghia
16 years ago
Mission accomplished years MOT now in place,few bits of tuning and cross my fingers this aint been far in 40ish years 😃

Going to road test with a run to Newcastle next weekend about 90 miles each way.

Sam.
53 Oval
63 Ghia
64 Deluxe
71 Fastback
95 Golf Karmann Cabrio
chris.james
16 years ago
do you no.it is illegal to dive a car with an emty washer bottle.