bigoval
  • bigoval
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
10 years ago
M353 above would seem to be the USA spec bumpers.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1589919 

At least I will know how far I travel on a tank of petrol!
I do have a genuine fuel stick just in case... and the reserve tap comes in handy!
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Wow... whst a response I've just got on the samba by posting my car up on their board!
I think I'll be staying here where folk are friendly and don't mind an interesting - but wrong oval!
pre67vw
10 years ago

Wow... whst a response I've just got on the samba by posting my car up on their board!
I think I'll be staying here where folk are friendly and don't mind an interesting - but wrong oval!

Originally Posted by: bigoval 

Just read the thread on theSamba, mixed response I'd say! :rofl:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Robb
10 years ago
have you put the bumpers back on yet?

saw it at the NEC, looking a bit sad without them :cry:
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Having a slight issue with the chrome... they will be reunited with the car soon! Then I won't have to worry about anyone running into the back of me!
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Just not my day....

That'll teach me for getting the wire brush out!

Front valance\wheel well needed now... may have to have a patch for the time being...hmm...

Looking like it will be
https://www.wolfparts.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=82 
https://www.kaefer-nostalgie.com/content/front-apron-1950-59 

"Issues" at the back end too... it's been hammered and welded at some point...
https://www.kaefer-nostalgie.com/content/rear-apron-1955-57-exhaust-cut-out-holes 

Photos tomorrow so you can see what I mean :(
So much for a summer of Beetling - looking like a summer of over-time to pay for it all! eek..

My "posh" set of (Ace) number plates aren't very well done so they will be going back!

Stainless bumpers set to arrive this week 🙂 cheaper than re-chroming a set... but I shall hang on to an OG set - if I ever find them!

On a "brighter" note - my LEDs have arrived for the rear lights...
https://www.culayer.com/BA15-HP%20home.htm 

Plenty to do and I shall keep you all posted!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
There is a front clip off an Oval for sale on VZI.

Andy W
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
I had read that the Autocraft ones didn't fit that well... hence going to wolf...

I might be being a bit thick - but I can't find an oval front clip on vzi for sale?
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Its on page 2 under items for sale Auto 56 car its off seams to be an ex race car by the thread. Manxrob is selling it.

Happy hunting.

Andy W
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Well it is looking like I will have some restoration work ahead of me...

Is it worth putting the oval rear window "back"?

I'm torn -
It is a more rare car because it has a big window... but it is a "wrong-un"
BUT...
It left the factory as, and is "more valuable" as a "correct" Oval...

If I was in it for the money - it would have the Oval window put back...

As I'm in it for the love - I am quite tempted to keep the big window...

Hmm....
(if only the guy on the samba with the NOS hardtop Oval roof would email me back!)

10 years ago
I never got round to changing it back....so you have to do it! 🙂 I think you'll always regret it if you don't. It was good to talk to you at the show, I'm glad my old beetle is finally going to get it's 'proper' restoration.

Matt
Rattletrap
10 years ago

I never got round to changing it back....so you have to do it! 🙂 I think you'll always regret it if you don't. It was good to talk to you at the show, I'm glad my old beetle is finally going to get it's 'proper' restoration.

Matt

Originally Posted by: 67westydormobile 

Intresting arguemnt.The Stoll Coupe once owned and restoed by Bob Shiall now in the Wolfsburg Museum actually left the factory as a normal Deluxe split Beeetle. It was lateraquired by the coach builder and converted to a coupe.Should this thenhave been changes back to a split when restored:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
The big window is part of the cars history....

Would it not be equally part of its history if I put the Oval back?
Just a continuation of the evolution down the years of that car?

Would I be destroying something of particularly great historic importance?
(If I am then I will leave well alone!)
As there aren't many "converted" cars still out there....

If I do have the window replaced I would of course keep the big window cut for prosperity!

I get the feeling I'm damned if I do... and I'm damned if I don't...
ARGH!
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
I would leave well alone. Its a well known car and it would be a shame to lose her.
Just my thought.

Andy W
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Well some good news - the trip speedo I found for sale on the samba in Canada, which I then sent to Germany to be restored has been finished!

It looks very nice indeed - very pleased :)

I shall post some photos of before and after once I get home!

I gather these clear-needle Oval trip speedos are a rare and in demand item? I was looking since before I bought the car for one - and only found this one just before Christmas?

Any idea what the going rate for them is? Just curious to know if I've chosen well!
No more guessing as to how many miles I've covered since I last filled the tank! I do also have the trusty dip-stick fuel gauge though (have I posted a photo of it up before?)

Dave
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Well what a busy two weeks of garage time I have had in this nice weather!

Bumpers - front and back are on :smile: - what a pain to fit! - But well worth it!
(the back one bit me while I was fitting it - OUCH!)

Exhaust changed... it started blowing after traveling at warp factor 5 on the way back from Volksworld... oops!
It is now wearing a very nice, shiny, stainless steel Vintage Speed exhaust... A real pig to fit! I now know why my Dad hated me so much the last time a Beetle had it's exhaust changed (he made ME do it this time!)
The sound is interesting... not quite the stock "fweem" though :(

I shall see how I get on - as it will get a trip up to Donnington Park for the BTCC this weekend!
It does seem to get mega hot! (or is that just because it is stainless?)

Does anyone have a source for the off-set heat riser gaskets? I re-fitted the old ones as none of the local motor factors have the correct ones, and I can't seem to find them online either?!

I finally have a full set of correctly working lights, semaphores and wipers! They even all work at the same time :smile: just don't ask how long it took to sort that lot out!

Fitted some nice - as new - hub caps

Just need to glue the carpet back down in the rear luggage compartment and see if I can make the piece of cloth under the back window look neater..
It will then be ready for this weekend :smile:

Hopefully will only need a light wash and polish before Stanford Hall....
Old Blue
10 years ago
Are we going oval or staying rectangular then?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
For the time being will be staying "wrong"....
While I sort out raising the money to do a full on nut-and-bolt show spec resto....

I'd like to try and get a couple of years of shows (and plenty of over-time at work...)in before the big strip down and re-build then begins - unless anything major crops up (or falls off) in the mean time?
bigoval
  • bigoval
9 years ago
I had an interesting letter in the post yesterday morning - from the son of the original owner!

I will type it out as it may be of interest to some of you who read this thread!

For those I will see on Sunday I may update you then......