john_boy1959
9 years ago
Hi everyone, have just stripped down my totally original 1959 36hp and was thinking of incorporating some new bits for another 50+ years of motoring??
Anyway, I have a set of NOS Kolbenscmidt pistons and had heard that better quality and stronger exhaust valves are a good idea to use with the resto. Can anyone confirm this and suggest any other mods I should do now! ie: is it a good idea to replace all valves and springs and if so what brand/supplier. Really appreciate the help.

One other thing, do I have to do anything to the head for the engine to run on unleaded?

John
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Stocker
9 years ago

You need Hardened Valve Seats to run unleaded petrol. Cant help answers unfortunately. Also own a 59 30hp. Keep us posted
mrmagyar
9 years ago
Hi John,

Beetles were designed from the off to run on poor quality low octane petrol and will run quite happily on unleaded fuel. I ran a '71 1200 as a daily driver for ten years on it with no problems whatsoever. Having said that I always add a small amount of lead replacement additive whenever I fill up my '49 and '55 these days. I would use the original valves and just lap them in.

Regards,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
I can remember the magazine Beetleing running an article were they got a factory motor and run it on unleaded for many miles. They then stripped it to inspect the components and found every thing was ok except the valve guides that were shot. Led also works as a lubricant. I think it was on a much later motor than yours also way back then I think the Brazilian or Mexican heads were being used for the re builds but not 100% sure.
mrmagyar
9 years ago
Hi,

As far as I know the lead in petrol only acts as a lubricant on the valve seats. The valve stems in their guides are lubricated by engine oil. Although valve stem oil seals are fitted they're designed to let just enough oil into the guide to lubricate the valve but not enough to get into the combustion chamber.

I still add a small amount of lead replacement additive whenever I fill up the tank. A bottle costing around £9 lasts me at least a couple of years and whether the engine really needs it or not it's a small price to pay for added peace of mind. Most of them these days also contain ingredients to help combat the effects of ethanol in modern petrol.

Cheers,
Andy.

1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe