Rattletrap
9 years ago
It seems that after seeing that letter reproduced as part of a word-wide Volkswagen ad campaign, Tony thought he could trump it and wrote to Volkswagen (GB) about 10BXK's (Rattletrap's) high mileage.

However, they didn't reproduce his letter for all to see, though he does get a mention in the text toward the end of the press advert.

UserPostedImage 
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Well the guy has been through all the papers, magazines and books relating to Rattletrap, and there are plenty of plausible iregularities to be found since Tony's acquisition of the car way back into the early 1950s. It's one of those yes and no senarios regarding the car's age and claimed mileage. The gentleman that spent a fair amount of time digging around in the car's history is a well established and known person in the VW scene right back to the 1970s. He'd prefer to keep his name out of things though.

So those that want to believe this car's status in the vintage VW world may continue to do so as I do, and those that dismiss it as all fabricated will continue to think so. But whatever your view, there's no denying Rattletrap's a famous or maybe infamous (if you're in the latter group) old VW Beetle.

I think the car is worth recognition and have designed commemoratives to provide such.:beer:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
9 years ago
The Rattletrap commemorative :smile:

UserPostedImage 
Rattletrap
9 years ago
And Rattletrap's commemorative :d

UserPostedImage 

A high resolution print quality pdf of either design can be obtained by emailing [email protected]
Rattletrap
9 years ago
To Rob and all the members and viewers of pre67vw, have a happy Christmas and great New Year.:beer:

UserPostedImage 
Old Blue
9 years ago

To Rob and all the members and viewers of pre67vw, have a happy Christmas and great New Year.:beer:

UserPostedImage 

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Nice card. If only the last part of the card's message would be understood by those around the world that can't get along with others.

A happy Christmas and the best for the New Year.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
ozymandias
9 years ago

Nice card. If only the last part of the card's message would be understood by those around the world that can't get along with others.

A happy Christmas and the best for the New Year.

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year John, Rob and VW enthusiasts everywhere.
bunglebus
9 years ago
Well what a long and interesting thread - I stumbled over it while looking for info about Zwitters, and ended up joining the forum so I could post these pictures - I went to see the car while it was in the Bentley museum, I was aware of some of its history and claims regarding its mileage and what was done when Haselock's repaired it - but now I feel like I know a whole lot more!

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

Due to the way the car was displayed, it wasn't possible to get better pictures of it.
bunglebus
9 years ago
I found another article about the rebuild done in the early 90's, I can't believe I had this as I was never a VWM reader, I just bought the odd issue if it caught my attention.
This one (March '91) relates to straightening the body a bit to allow access to door hinges etc. It also clearly shows the later type floorpan in situ with the heater controls adjacent to the gear lever. I assume this is the VWUK supplied chassis fitted at the end of the 60's, even then a split window era pan would have been long obsolete. Only thing I find a bit odd (seen in other pictures too) is the light yellow paint in the spare wheel well/petrol tank area.

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

Hope these are of some use to you.
Old Blue
9 years ago

Well what a long and interesting thread - I stumbled over it while looking for info about Zwitters, and ended up joining the forum so I could post these pictures - I went to see the car while it was in the Bentley museum, I was aware of some of its history and claims regarding its mileage and what was done when Haselock's repaired it - but now I feel like I know a whole lot more!

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

Due to the way the car was displayed, it wasn't possible to get better pictures of it.

Originally Posted by: bunglebus 

Around mid 1990's my late father visited the Bentley Museum (hoping to see Bentleys I'd guess as he was keen on them!!). However, although I've found several photos he took there, there is no sign of Rattletrap (10 BXK - showing Tony's military plates on it in the picture). I'm not sure when 10 BXK went into the museum, roughly when were these pictures taken?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

bunglebus
9 years ago
I guess about 2003 but I'm not entirely sure - they were taken on a film camera and scanned later. No earlier than 2001 I wouldn't have thought.
Old Blue
9 years ago

I guess about 2003 but I'm not entirely sure - they were taken on a film camera and scanned later. No earlier than 2001 I wouldn't have thought.

I'd think that 10BXK went into the museum after the owner Tony died in the 1990's. Was the Typell looking 1950's van there when you were there, and did you get any pictures of that too? I wonder what manufacturer it was.

Old School
9 years ago
Any further news regarding the research into the car's history? I'm intrigued if the car is or is not the one that I remember Tony with all those years ago.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

Any further news regarding the research into the car's history? I'm intrigued if the car is or is not the one that I remember Tony with all those years ago.

Originally Posted by: Old School 

Its been busy here:beer:

Without wishing to unravel the whole Rattletrap history senario, as I think its gone as far as is possible and do not wish to rekindle the debate here, I can say that after the big smash in 1990, Rattletrap retains the same chassis that we know it had from at least the mid 1970s - ie, bearing the same 1953 chassis number quoted by Tony Levy himself in Safer Motoring magazine about that time. The chassis had replacement pans after the smash. As for the body, about half of it survives, and bears a 1950 body number behind the spare well, but was heavily repaired by sacrificing a pre1955 oval window saloon.:smile:
Rattletrap
9 years ago

I found another article about the rebuild done in the early 90's, I can't believe I had this as I was never a VWM reader, I just bought the odd issue if it caught my attention.
This one (March '91) relates to straightening the body a bit to allow access to door hinges etc. It also clearly shows the later type floorpan in situ with the heater controls adjacent to the gear lever. I assume this is the VWUK supplied chassis fitted at the end of the 60's, even then a split window era pan would have been long obsolete. Only thing I find a bit odd (seen in other pictures too) is the light yellow paint in the spare wheel well/petrol tank area.

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

Hi bunglebus and welcome:beer:

Thank you for posting these pictures, I thought that I had all the VW Motoring pages relating to Rattletrap's big smash. Can I ask you if you can send me the original picture files from the scans you made. I'd like to print them out and put them into the set in Rattletrap's file.

Email; [email protected]:smile:
Rattletrap
9 years ago

...Only thing I find a bit odd (seen in other pictures too) is the light yellow paint in the spare wheel well/petrol tank area.

The yellow paint seems to be a primer (I have some at home), and often used under two-pack paint. The car had one or two repaints by the time of the smash I'd guess. Where the spare wheel area has got chipped, there are signs of it still there.

Again, thanks for all the pictures:beer:
Rattletrap
9 years ago
And through the split window...

...another split window:shock:

UserPostedImage 
An unusual view of Rattletrap seen recently in mid-winter 'hibernation':smile:
Rattletrap
9 years ago
One thing that has always puzzed me with Rattletrap are the rear lamps. Those fitted are the type introduced in August 1955. All pictures that I have of Rattletrap going back into the 1960s show these later lamps on the car. Putting the 'correct' ones on the car would make sense I think:?:

1950-52 or 1952-55 one wonders:?

I think the 52-55 heart lamps. Rattletrap's nose does not have the centre stoplight provision, whereas the heart lamps of course do. So I've been looking through what parts I have but have not found any heart lamps good, or rough.

I found this though:

UserPostedImage 

I don't recall ever getting this. It has a VW logo (but not cogwheel, so not KdF) at the top of the bezel, and the Hella logo at the bottom. The bezel is more rounded and thicker looking than the lights on the back of my 1947 VW.
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Here's a picture of the inside. Can't make that bracket out.

UserPostedImage 

Rich Oakley
9 years ago

Here's a picture of the inside. Can't make that bracket out.

UserPostedImage 

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

1945-early 1946 lamp
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.