beefykeefy
8 years ago

Sadly, I'm at the point where my enthusiasm for old VW's has reached a new low - it's been on the wane for about 18 months and after that long, it's not going to come back... My Beetle did 100 miles last year, so I'm thinking it's time for it to go.

It flew through it's MOT last week. It's a nice little car, but not perfect, so if anyone's interested, let me know. I don't really want to advertise on VZi, as it'll no doubt be in danger of ending up with the modify crowd.

I'll take some pics and post a for sale ad at some point this week, and was thinking of asking £6500.00.

Originally Posted by: beefykeefy 

Shortly after writing this post, a good friend asked if they could use the car for their wedding. The wedding was in Kent, and I'm in Watford, but as she's as sound as they come I agreed :omg: I thought, one last hurrah before it goes... :unsure:

I think had she not asked, I would've sold the car on by now. And boy, am I thankful she did...

I spent 2-3 weeks cleaning the car up, servicing it and completing the remainder of the wheels (as in powder coating them, and spraying the outer rims in Lotus White). Embarrassed to say, that this job has been a long time in the making, as I started the first two over 18 months ago.... :oops:

I dressed the car up how she wanted and pootled round the M25, and down the M2/A2. I was amazed at how much attention the car got, from passing cars, to folk at fuel and food pit stops and people at the wedding. Car didn't skip a beat there and back.

The bride was so happy with the car, she gave it and me a special mention in her speech 🙂.

I guess working on the car again, and seeing what type of reaction it can provoke has sowed the spark of interest again :beer:

Here it is on the day.

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 
cold steel
8 years ago
Looking good..... Keep it I think we all go through peaks and troughs of ownership, but some things remain a constant.
Rattletrap
8 years ago

Shortly after writing this post, a good friend asked if they could use the car for their wedding. The wedding was in Kent, and I'm in Watford, but as she's as sound as they come I agreed :omg: I thought, one last hurrah before it goes... :unsure:

I think had she not asked, I would've sold the car on by now. And boy, am I thankful she did...

I spent 2-3 weeks cleaning the car up, servicing it and completing the remainder of the wheels (as in powder coating them, and spraying the outer rims in Lotus White). Embarrassed to say, that this job has been a long time in the making, as I started the first two over 18 months ago.... :oops:

I dressed the car up how she wanted and pootled round the M25, and down the M2/A2. I was amazed at how much attention the car got, from passing cars, to folk at fuel and food pit stops and people at the wedding. Car didn't skip a beat there and back.

The bride was so happy with the car, she gave it and me a special mention in her speech 🙂.

I guess working on the car again, and seeing what type of reaction it can provoke has sowed the spark of interest again :beer:

Originally Posted by: beefykeefy 

Yes I think many of us go through 'highs' and 'lows' with the hobby. Since my head injury last year I have suffered various problems and they are still ongoing. I had another MRI brain scan only three days ago. Consequently, I've had periods of complete disinterest in the cars. It's only when others see them and take an interest that I appreciate them. These forums are some where to go to find encouragement, though there's not much social interaction here now.:mellow:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
cold steel
8 years ago
Yep, it's these forums that keep us motivated. I remember reading about rattletrap in VW motoring. Great car, no matter what anyone says. Remember it being for sale ages ago, and feeling gutted I couldn't afford it at that time. Would have loved to have kept it as is as a daily

Keep em all I say!!!

pre67vw
8 years ago

These forums are some where to go to find encouragement, though there's not much social interaction here now.:mellow:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Yep, it's kind of weird looking back on people who used to post almost daily and have now disappeared, it goes to show how the enthusiasm ebbs and flows, but sometimes just goes completely. For me personally, I think the prices have put me off of VW's a lot - the fun of getting a project and putting it back on the road was/is a big part of it for me, whereas now you can't buy a project without re-mortgaging. I've not 'gone off' VW's - far from it, but I need to just enjoy what I have instead of ever hoping to add to the fleet.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
cold steel
8 years ago
Indeed. Financing is now the main issue, and because it's the in thing, way out of most people's league. Buying a Base project is so much harder. Try finding an unmodified car/bus and the price is stratospheric!!
Rattletrap
8 years ago

Yep, it's these forums that keep us motivated. I remember reading about rattletrap in VW motoring. Great car, no matter what anyone says. Remember it being for sale ages ago, and feeling gutted I couldn't afford it at that time. Would have loved to have kept it as is as a daily

Keep em all I say!!!

Originally Posted by: cold steel 

Yes, people over a certain age will know what I mean when I say Rattletrap was so much a feature of the UK vintage VW scene. The car and Tony's obsession with it certainly gave me inspiration. So much enjoyment with what was an affordable hobby then, and so many characters like Tony Levy at tjhe shows. It's just about who has the most disposable money now.:(
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
8 years ago

I've not 'gone off' VW's - far from it, but I need to just enjoy what I have instead of ever hoping to add to the fleet.

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

Too many cars can be a pain. Don't you throw in the towel Rob:!: