stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
if all those early cars were owned by vw enthusiasts, where are they all???, surely they havent been scrapped! how many of these cars have people actually seen at shows??
55Kab
15 years ago

surely they havent been scrapped! how many of these cars have people actually seen at shows??

stu wrote:

Think you'll be surprised Stu. The majority will have met their end. 😞
Sunroof53
15 years ago
That would be great to see 23 nmp after all these years,and good to here it is in good hands.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

55Kab wrote:

god damn, its no wonder theres virtually no early cars left in this country if even the vw lovers were scrapping them
Sunroof53
15 years ago

55Kab wrote:

It was only the mid 80s when the beetle seemed to be revived .I remember in 85 when i was looking for my first car there were at least 6 beetles in the free ads a week Ranging from sixties beetles for about £150 needing work to exellent examples for around a £1000 .Ovals and splits were rare even then in fact i dont remember ever seeing one until i went to Vw action in 87.My first car by the way was a gold 1303 :oops: .I thought it was great finding a newer beetle for £300 with tax and mot.I was 16 and sprayed it mars red because i was reading Colin Burnhams feature in Street machine and thought it was the coolest thing ever.How things change ...
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
it boils my piss to think of all those 53, 54 ovals being crushed, alot with really nice short registrations too, plus the fact you could pick them up for silly money, £50 or whatever :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sunroof53
15 years ago

it boils my piss to think of all those 53, 54 ovals being crushed, alot with really nice short registrations too, plus the fact you could pick them up for silly money, £50 or whatever :shock: :shock: :shock:

stu wrote:

You have such a way with words Stu :roll: ...Gold oval on piston heads looks nice .Are you tempted?
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

You have such a way with words Stu :roll: ...Gold oval on piston heads looks nice .Are you tempted?

Sunroof53 wrote:

sorry are you my mother?? :roll:
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Stu ,Dont take it so seriously ,the phrase made me laugh .That was all.
55Kab
15 years ago

god damn, its no wonder theres virtually no early cars left in this country if even the vw lovers were scrapping them

stu wrote:

Mike's captured it with what he said already, but I can remember 20 years ago, if a car needed heater channels, A-pillars and pan halves it was doomed. I scrapped a nice UK RHD 58 that was like this! :oops:

Repairs to those areas and body off restos were quite unusual then, all of which we take as the norm today.

The rarity of UK cars is what makes a UK RHD car special I think and worth a premium over an imported LHD example.

Here's a fantastic example of what could be found mid to late 80's. On my many scrapyard hunts back then I came across this. A totally complete 1958 UK RHD car that had been driven into the yard. Yard guys gave £50 for it and all it needed was channels and pan halves.....:cry:

UserPostedImage

55Kab
15 years ago

I was 16 and sprayed it mars red because i was reading Colin Burnhams feature in Street machine and thought it was the coolest thing ever.How things change ...

Sunroof53 wrote:

No they don't all change Mike as it still is the coolest thing ever! :wink:

Whether stock people like it or not that set of articles revived the UK VW scene which otherwise would have by now have been a bunch of cloth capped, pipe smoking old farts dribbling on about how crossplies were as good as radials......:lol: :lol: :lol::beer:

UserPostedImage

Sorry Rob :oops: I feel a 50 Karmann 2 hour ban coming on! :lol:
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Your right of course ,i still have all those features and i wouldnt be writing this if it wasnt for that car.but i have always liked the stock height stuff as well thats why i have 2 cars .
pre67vw
15 years ago

55Kab wrote:

I remember following the progress of that car and at the time there was a lot that I didn't like - the fact that it wasn't a sloping headlight car, the side petrol flap, 8 spokes and the interior. So, yep - things don't change at all :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

Mike's captured it with what he said already, but I can remember 20 years ago, if a car needed heater channels, A-pillars and pan halves it was doomed. I scrapped a nice UK RHD 58 that was like this! :oops:

Repairs to those areas and body off restos were quite unusual then, all of which we take as the norm today.

The rarity of UK cars is what makes a UK RHD car special I think and worth a premium over an imported LHD example.

Here's a fantastic example of what could be found mid to late 80's. On my many scrapyard hunts back then I came across this. A totally complete 1958 UK RHD car that had been driven into the yard. Yard guys gave £50 for it and all it needed was channels and pan halves.....:cry:

UserPostedImage

55Kab wrote:

It’s so sad to see that ’58 sitting there at the bottom of the pile in the breakers yard, but that’s the fate that befell so many relatively good Beetles. I know I wasn’t alone in scrapping several Ovals in the 80s and even more big window 50’s Bugs that would have sold for good sums these days.

The one that I regret most of all was WDR 276 a ’60 model that had been imported into the UK in about ’62, it was in lovely original condition and very solid. WDR was owned by a friend of mine who had bought it from the original owner. unfortunately though she drifted into traffic one day when she was waiting to pull out on to a main road and a passing car ran into the OSF wing, damaging the stub axle in the process. The car was written off but it would have been such a simple repair to replace the wing and bolt on a replacement front axle. I bought it from the scrap yard but simply stripped it of its mechanics and left the body to be crushed. Oh well… :cry:

Looking on the bright side though, I’m sure there must be loads of old Bugs sitting in garages waiting to be re-discovered. Worthing isn’t a big town but to my knowledge there is a ’53 Sunroof Oval that’s been sitting in a garage here since about 1986 and a ’55 that’s been in a garage since about ’92. I’m sure that if I know about those two, there must be dozens of others all over the country! :wink:

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Stu ,Dont take it so seriously ,the phrase made me laugh .That was all.

Sunroof53 wrote:

ok no problem :lol:
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
[quote=55Kab]

Whether stock people like it or not that set of articles revived the UK VW scene which otherwise would have by now have been a bunch of cloth capped, pipe smoking old farts dribbling on about how crossplies were as good as radials......:lol: :lol: :lol::beer:

:lol:
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

It’s so sad to see that ’58 sitting there at the bottom of the pile in the breakers yard, but that’s the fate that befell so many relatively good Beetles. I know I wasn’t alone in scrapping several Ovals in the 80s and even more big window 50’s Bugs that would have sold for good sums these days.

The one that I regret most of all was WDR 276 a ’60 model that had been imported into the UK in about ’62, it was in lovely original condition and very solid. WDR was owned by a friend of mine who had bought it from the original owner. unfortunately though she drifted into traffic one day when she was waiting to pull out on to a main road and a passing car ran into the OSF wing, damaging the stub axle in the process. The car was written off but it would have been such a simple repair to replace the wing and bolt on a replacement front axle. I bought it from the scrap yard but simply stripped it of its mechanics and left the body to be crushed. Oh well… :cry:

Looking on the bright side though, I’m sure there must be loads of old Bugs sitting in garages waiting to be re-discovered. Worthing isn’t a big town but to my knowledge there is a ’53 Sunroof Oval that’s been sitting in a garage here since about 1986 and a ’55 that’s been in a garage since about ’92. I’m sure that if I know about those two, there must be dozens of others all over the country! :wink:

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

you'd think they'd at least strip the car of its parts before sending it to the breakers!!
pre67vw
15 years ago

you'd think they'd at least strip the car of its parts before sending it to the breakers!!

stu wrote:

Those were the days when you'd go to the scrap yards with your spanners in hand and climb over the piles of cars to find the bits you needed, they never took parts off before.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

Those were the days when you'd go to the scrap yards with your spanners in hand and climb over the piles of cars to find the bits you needed, they never took parts off before.

pre67vw wrote:

They were great days! Living in Bedfordshire we had a US Air Base close by at Chicksands, the Americans used often to import their cars for use in the UK during their postings and perhaps unsurprisingly, many of them landed up in breakers yards. My mates were always interested in the classic big American lumps but I was always on the look out for American spec Beetles and they did show up from time to time, the earliest being a late fifties jobby. For the most part they were '02s and '03s which were far less exciting.

clambering over cars in a scrap yard clutching a bag of tools and stripping off the odd bits you thought you could use before doing a deal at the gate on the way out, was a great way to spend a Saturday!

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
64rotbox
15 years ago
Old Beetles were just treated like any other old car of the time, they weren't anything special.

You've also got to remember that "channels and pan halves" wasn't such an easy job to do 25 years ago. The market for domestic MIG welders wasn't really established and they were very expensive (arc/gas welding in a channel... fun), so most people would have had to get the work done by a garage, the cost of which would have outweighed the value of the car threefold at least. So it was cheaper to buy another one, and patch that through successive MOTs until there was nothing left to weld to again. And the process continued until people realised there weren't any left. Hello 'collectors car'.

If we'd have known then what we know now, we'd be swimming in the things, but life ain't like that. Be thankful that there are a reasonable number of Beetles left, 'cos the same can't be said for an awful lot of other vehicles of the period.
You can call me Al.