overrestored
15 years ago
I am wondering if anyone has any leads on this Frua Designed VW? It was commissioned by Hubert Brundage of Florida. He was the southeastern US Distributor for VW in the 1950's and 60's...and also ran Brumos Porsche. A friend of mine has been searching for this car for some time.

Eric  scan0001.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  scan0002.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Damn, thats rather... er.... homely. Looks like an NSU Prinz. Its interesting and definitely a product of its times, but I wonder what the owner thought when he saw it.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
jof
15 years ago
Hello from Germany,

The "VW Sun Valley" was designed by Frua and built by the Swiss Car Company Italsuisse. Italsuisse was founded by Adriano Guglielmetti, who was employed at Carrosserie Ghia Aigle.

There is a picture from 1960 showing Adriano Guglielmetti in front of the VW Sun Valley here:

https://www.pietro-frua.de/italsuisse/graphics/pics_big/guglielmetti_1960.php 

There are many pictures of this car (inside/outside) at this webpage:

https://www.pietro-frua.de/italsuisse/1960_vw.htm 

Many pictures were taken around 1960 in Europe (Switzerland). The last picture from 1961 has been taken at Jacksonville, Florida.

According to Jerry Sloniger, there has been an order of 5000 VW Sun Valley from Israel, but since VW was not willing to deliver the chassis, the order could not be completed (source: Sloninger, Foreign Car Guide. 5. year, issue 11 (November 1960), pages 22–27, 75–78 )

Sorry that I cannot help locate the car (maybe they built more than one...?), but maybe the information and the pictures help to understand the story. Or maybe you can get in contact with the Frua/Italsuisse-people to find out more.

If your are interested, I can arrange the contact with Stefan Dierkes who runs the linked Frua registry. Stefan is the brother of a friend of mine and used to live next to my village.

Regards

Jörg Fischer

lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

According to Jerry Sloniger, there has been an order of 5000 VW Sun Valley from Israel, but since VW was not willing to deliver the chassis, the order could not be completed (source: Sloninger, Foreign Car Guide. 5. year, issue 11 (November 1960), pages 22–27, 75–78)

jof wrote:

If anyone wants the Foreign Car Guide article I have a scanned copy of it. You can contact me here or I will post the article in this thread if anyone's inerested.
John.
jof
15 years ago

If anyone wants the Foreign Car Guide article I have a scanned copy of it. You can contact me here or I will post the article in this thread if anyone's inerested.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Hi John,

thanks for your reply. I am interested in that article, since I only knew the source. You can mail it to vwtyp3 ätt gmx.de (replace "ätt" with "@")

Regards

Jörg
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Jorg you have email.

For anyone else I've uploaded the article to the web. You can either read it below or right click on the pages and save it to your computer.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
John.