vintagebug
15 years ago
Ok, here goes:-

I realise this may have been discussed before somewhere on here (apologies if it has), but I'm looking for a rhs front wing for my '56 (& maybe a lhs one too) & I need to know what a genuine one looks like compared to a repro or a post-Oval one. I've read loads of discussions about the differences on various forums and there seems to be conflicting info, so much so that I'm now more confused than ever! :?

I know that a genuine Oval front wing has the metal conduit for the wiring (or at least it has the hole in the bottom of the headlight bucket for it, as it might have rusted off) and maybe should also flare out at the bottom where it meets the running board. As I don't have a genuine Oval wing & a later one to put side-by-side to compare them with my own eyes can anyone enlighten me on any other differences?

And if anyone out there in pre67vw-land has a good condition genuine Oval front wing for sale can you let me know? Btw I'm looking for a lhs rear one as well! I promise you they'd be going to a good home! Thanks... :d
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
15 years ago
Hi,
This is the info I've managed to pick up and understand to be about right...

All the European Oval front wings (including Small window up to '59) have the pronounced step where they meet the running board, metal tubes for the headlight wiring at the base of the headlight bucket and no holes for indicators on the top. They are wider and deeper than the later wings, which have the rubber wiring tube. However, the profile of the outer edge changes slightly from year to year.

The shape of the headlight bucket is the easiest way to tell the approximate age:

54 to 55 - (Early Oval) Completely smooth back to the headlight bucket
56 to 57 - (Late Oval) Slightly Angled back to the headlight bucket
58 to 59 - (Early Small Window) Angled back to the headlight but with the addition of two vertical ridges in the pressing.

Martin (55Kab) has been trying to identify the correct wings for his early Cabrio and has posted lots of pictures of various wings over on Restowagen.com
and I hope he won't mind me reposting some of them here?

See the pictures below:

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
VW Stan
15 years ago
54 to 55 Early oval...

OSfrontwingp1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  OSfrontwingp2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p26.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p71.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

VW Stan
15 years ago
56 to 57 Late Oval...

p11.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p21.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p24.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

VW Stan
15 years ago
58 to 59 Early Small Window...

p12.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p22.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p23.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

VW Stan
15 years ago
Late oval compared to Early small window...  p19.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

48REME
15 years ago
The main visible and essential detail is the flat step at the back of the wing where it meets the running board.
No, early square window front wings up to 59 do not have this flat step anymore although they do have the wiring tube
going to the headlamp cup.
VW Stan
15 years ago

The main visible and essential detail is the flat step at the back of the wing where it meets the running board.
No, early square window front wings up to 59 do not have this flat step anymore although they do have the wiring tube
going to the headlamp cup.

48REME wrote:

Hi Nicholas,
Happy New Year!
My '58 (built Aug '57) still has the step at the back (like on this pic), but I haven't taken a headlight out to check what the bowl's like yet!

Anyone got an original '59 wing with a step?
Or did it loose the step sometime in '58?

M :d
 1957stdkeverjupitergrijs-29.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

55Kab
15 years ago
No problem posting my pics, saved me the job!:wink:

Just to confirm, that 58-59 blue wing with the patina also has the running board kick-off.
48REME
15 years ago
Is that Malcolm? How did you manage to change from six-o-one?! I couldn't get rid of my 48 REME even though it's inappropriate now!
Anyway...Happy New Year to you too! I think you're right, the step must have disappeared around 58 then. Maybe the first early square windows of 1957
still had specifications from the oval era. Enclosed are pics of my original wings on my 59. You can just about notice the lack of step...:wink:  Standard 15.10.2006 069.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Standard 15.10.2006 085.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Original wings on my '59 (Nov '58 car):
UserPostedImage

Another pair of wings I have from a UK '59:
UserPostedImage

And another wing from a UK '58 or '59:
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
VW Stan
15 years ago
Hi Rich,
So it looks like they lost the step either for the '59 model at the end of July, or sometime earlier in '58

Anyone know of a July '58 with original wings!

vintagebug
15 years ago
Guys,

Thanks for all the info & pics, I think I'm making a bit of headway in understanding the differences to the front wings over the years. If I pick you up right, the general concensus (so far!), wrt Oval wings is:

1. All Oval wings (& up to '59) have the metal wiring tube.

2. Pre Aug '55 Oval wings are completely smooth at the back of the headlight bowl, 56-57 ones are slightly angled back & 57 on also have two short vertical ridges in the pressing at the back of the headlight bowl.

3. The earlier the wing the wider & deeper it is- does anyone know whereabouts on the wing the width varies? ie where would you measure to find the differences and what are the dimensions?

Numbers 1 & 2 above are easier to see, I think number 3 would be almost impossible to see when looking at pics on the internet. I would really need an early & a later wing side-by-side before I could tell the difference in width & shape. This'll make it harder for me to get it right if I find a front wing for sale on the internet! :roll:

Does anyone know of any good condition late Oval front wings for sale? And a lhs rear one too. They're about the last of the major body panels I need to find for my '56... then I can think about getting the bodywork done!

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

1. All Oval wings (& up to '59) have the metal wiring tube.

vintagebug wrote:

'59s have the metal wiring tube too.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
15 years ago

Anyone know of a July '58 with original wings!

VW Stan wrote:

Hi Malcom, take it 601 has a new home:cry: what are your plans now?

Mine was built on the 7th July 58 and does have the step, looking like the change was for 59 year.

Hapy new year
Stock......the new custom
VW Stan
15 years ago

Hi Malcom, take it 601 has a new home:cry: what are your plans now?

Mine was built on the 7th July 58 and does have the step, looking like the change was for 59 year.

Hapy new year

harveypj wrote:

Hi Peter,
Plans for this year are to try and finish my '72 Bay an see if I can get the '58 running and drivable.

M