55Kab
15 years ago

Martin- great pics as usual.

Whatever happened to PWP8 and its magical hubcaps?

Rich Oakley wrote:

Tks Rich. Indeed, what happened to PWP 8 I wonder???

No details listed on the DVLA website so I would think the plate has been sold off as considering its condition 20 years ago as a full on concours car, I can't see it getting into a state of disrepair.

More pics that I'll have to get a scanned!:wink:
55Kab
15 years ago

I'm frightened! You recognize a car from 1987 by its reg. nr? :shock:

kdf38 wrote:

Hahahahahahha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course Mike, old Bugs are so rare here it's not difficult.

Actually, to tell the truth I was looking through all my pics of the Stonor show in 87 and came across PWP 8 before I found the shots of Rattletrap, so I'm sure the car in the background is PWP as that's the concours line up.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
who actually owns rattletrap now? after looking at the museum website it doesnt appear to be the museum..
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Its for SALE! :shock: Thats a lot of 'cough' history, for ok money! :d

Although I dont think I want it myself, because I feel it may not be completely 'og unwelded' ? :shock:

Cool though! and looks like a real bargain compared to the ads for the 70 & 71 beside it :!: :lol:

(Edited as no longer on UltraVW classifieds site now it is sold!)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrmagyar
15 years ago
Hi,
If you follow this link and click on the picture of the Delorean you can see what is presumably old Rattletrap in the background.

https://www.bentley.org.uk/#/motormuseumgallery/4525136549 
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Highest mileage Beetle in the world. One owner, very original condition inside/out, dropped indicators, narrowed/lowered beams. Stored for 11 years in Bentley Motor Museum.

narrowed/lowered beams:shock:
:wink: Very original (shame about the shell, chassis, engine.......

:lol:

Still, it is a cheap split, let alone a cheap famous split!:wink:

William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Here it is in the museum! Sorry about the bad picture!

UserPostedImage
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
ive just rang the cars current owner, someone on here has first refusual, wonder who it is.., if they dont buy it, i might..
54 Gertie
15 years ago

ive just rang the cars current owner, someone on here has first refusual, wonder who it is.., if they dont buy it, i might..

stu wrote:

Fair Play!

It is personally not my piece of cake but the history behind it (the original:?: ) is very appealing!:d
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
the mystery person has till monday to buy it, or im off to bentleys on monday to have a look, pain in the arse as im sposed to be veiwing an unwelded oval 2moz.. :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Wonder who the mystery person is?:wink:

If you can read this is it ............YOU?:lol:

If when you go can you take some photos of it, would love to see some more pics of it!
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Wonder who the mystery person is?:wink:

If you can read this is it ............YOU?:lol:

If when you go can you take some photos of it, would love to see some more pics of it!

54 Gertie wrote:

lol, its not me, but ill take some pics & check it out if its not sold monday, :d
54 Gertie
15 years ago

lol, its not me, but ill take some pics & check it out if its not sold monday, :d

stu wrote:

Awesome! :d
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
im assuming rattletrap had an entire new bodyshell?, as opposed to the original being repaired?, who knows for definate?
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I would guess a new shell and chassis!:cry:

I heard somewhere that the owner used to joke that the only original part was the gear knob! :wink:

I cant see how you would go about repairing that shell?:?
William
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I would guess a new shell and chassis!:cry:

I heard somewhere that the owner used to joke that the only original part was the gear knob! :wink:

I cant see how you would go about repairing that shell?:?

54 Gertie wrote:

i think the shell was to damaged & twisted to repair but i think they kept the original central spine of the chassis & put new floorpan halfs in, hence why its still got the same reg number
54 Gertie
15 years ago

i think the shell was to damaged & twisted to repair but i think they kept the original central spine of the chassis & put new floorpan halfs in, hence why its still got the same reg number

stu wrote:

True but they may have been a bit economical with the truth when speaking to the DVLA! :wink:
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I just want to agree with those who say the current Rattletrap is a fake. If there's nothing left of the original car (not even the nut that used to hold the steering wheel!) it's time it was re-registered. The original 1950 car died years ago.

Robin Allen wrote:

Why on earth should it be re-registered? What does it matter to the DVLA that its not the car it once was? It´s not stolen the identity of another car thats on the road anywhere. There´s only one car with those numbers on it.

The whole idea of having to SVA buggies is frankly laughable also. Its been perfectly alright since the sixties and now its suddenly not. Tell me a good reason why?? Nanny state. Burocracy gone mad.:evil:

Why is this thread in PRE 53 anyway?:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Why on earth should it be re-registered? What does it matter to the DVLA that its not the car it once was? It´s not stolen the identity of another car thats on the road anywhere. There´s only one car with those numbers on it.

The whole idea of having to SVA buggies is frankly laughable also. Its been perfectly alright since the sixties and now its suddenly not. Tell me a good reason why?? Nanny state. Burocracy gone mad.:evil:

Why is this thread in PRE 53 anyway?:lol:

JD wrote:

Agreed! Just because of one small accident (involving a rather large crash!:wink: ) that is no reason for a piece of VW history to die!:d :wink:
William
Sunroof53
15 years ago
I remember reading about this car in vw motering ,and at the time got fed up of hearing about it.It is strange that this should crop up again as i was looking for an old magazine a few weeks ago and found a few features on it. I thought at the time i wonder where it is and didnt realise that Tony had passed away .
The shell of that car was definitly replaced by Haselock after it was T boned by a truck although i do remember vw motering glossing over it.
Personally i dont think it matters that it had a new shell ,if the backbone had been replaced my view would be different .This to me signifies what a Beetle is all about and that if you want to they can live forever.
The question you have to ask is how much of your cars bodywork is truly original.Especially if it was a well used UK car .

Long live Rattletrap:d
UserPostedImage