Rich Oakley
14 years ago

That car was pulled out of the barn by my brother and I probably in around 1997-98 ish for his then girlfriend, it was surprisingly solid, given a body off resto and exhibited at the volksworld show. He split up with her and I haven't seen it (or her!) since- I think she still has it- a very nice car ! The number plate TOX 555 was kept by the original owner and is still on his Audi!:wink:

ianmac wrote:

Any idea what the reg number is now? It would be nice to find this one again!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
ianmac
14 years ago

Any idea what the reg number is now? It would be nice to find this one again!

Rich Oakley wrote:

No I don't know.

I am not sure the car ever got finished, she had someone take it away with a trailer never to be seen again! probably turn up in another 20 years sat in a barn:?
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

No I don't know.

I am not sure the car ever got finished, she had someone take it away with a trailer never to be seen again! probably turn up in another 20 years sat in a barn:?

ianmac wrote:

That's a shame. I bought my ex-girlfiend a 1957 UK Beetle in 1997, it had a full service history and every receipt since day one. The first owner kept the car for 35+ years and was s professional bureaucrat who kept every piece of paper pertaining to the car. She sold it after we split up a couple of years later. Beautiful car. Last I heard, it was being transformed into a 'German Looker'. :evil:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
55Kab
14 years ago

I bought my ex-girlfiend a 1957 UK Beetle in 1997, it had a full service history and every receipt since day one. The first owner kept the car for 35+ years and was s professional bureaucrat who kept every piece of paper pertaining to the car. She sold it after we split up a couple of years later. Beautiful car. Last I heard, it was being transformed into a 'German Looker'. :evil:

Rich Oakley wrote:

Have you got any photos of this one?

55Kab
14 years ago

Pete had VGY 77 stored for years, but sold it a long time ago, when he figured he wouldn´t really have time to do it.
He may know where it is still.

JD wrote:

I asked him that when I saw him earlier in the year. He thought it got scrapped...:(

55Kab
14 years ago
Often wondered what happened to these two:

I photographed LYH 691P at Bug Jam in 88. It's RHD so I wonder if it was original and a UK car? According to the DVLA it was a 66 and the tax ran out just 2 years later in August 1990:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

BKN 100C was a UK RHD car I used to see a lot locally (think it lived near Southampton). I took these photos in 86 or 87. I know it was later Cal-Looked and repainted blue. Don't know where it is now but it was taxed up until July 2007 so perhaps it's lurking in a garage or on someone's driveway somewhere:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

55Kab
14 years ago
Did anyone ever visit and take any photos at the Beetle graveyard in Talybont on Usk?

UserPostedImage

Supposedly Des James had at least one Split and an Oval there.

64rotbox
14 years ago
There were a few Ovals there, including a ragtop. There was supposed to be a Split, but I couldn't see it for the brambles...
You can call me Al.
55Kab
14 years ago

There were a few Ovals there, including a ragtop

64rotbox wrote:

Did you take any pics?

Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Did you take any pics?

55Kab wrote:

I had quite a lot of pics from this place back in the late 90s on my PC. Unfortunately, I lost them all in a hard-drive failure. From my recollection, there was no evidence of a Split Bug there, but there were at least three ovals, one of them a ragtop.
64rotbox
14 years ago
No, but I've got some that a friend took. I printed a few on the back page of T**** ** once, but I'll see if I can find them and scan the lot.
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
14 years ago

would like to see a photo of the 52 ragtop when it was finished.

55Kab wrote:

Here's a couple more i have found  ukp-1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ukp-2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
14 years ago
These cars aren't lost but you will probably never see them again,even if they are still in the U.K
P.s look at the cars in the background,the way Peppercorn used to be:cry:  49_std.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  cabrio.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Those were the days George. I think I see the roof of my Red '59 in that first pic.

Where's Sean's '52 'vert now? Is it with our collector friend?
55Kab
14 years ago

These cars aren't lost but you will probably never see them again,even if they are still in the U.K

'50 Karmann wrote:

Why do you say that?
GKL 7
14 years ago

Is it with our collector friend?

Rich Oakley wrote:

By what i could gather Rich,i think both those cars are.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
I have posted this on another thread a long while ago but i its an interesting car for the sticky.I have a feeling this car survives with a different registration and minus all the good bits as i remember a fire engine red sunroof car coming up on vzi some years back.That of course could apply to a lot of cars as many old cars lost there original registration to get the maximum price for it.The original reg for my own car is on a Subaru

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
64rotbox
14 years ago
March 1970...

UserPostedImage
You can call me Al.
55Kab
14 years ago

March 1970...UserPostedImage

64rotbox wrote:

So who's going to call the number and track that car down! :lol: