Sunroof53
14 years ago

Nice one.

Things that dreams are made of Mike. We need a contact on the "inside" at the DVLA (step forward Robin Allen?). But I hear even the Police have to ensure they have supporting data when asking about a car's details.....

55Kab wrote:

Funny you should say that ,i have tried that route as well with no joy .I think an advert in a national newspaper would yeild more success.Now i am dreaming .I just finished work and need some sleep.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
This one i am positive it survives .I am sure i have seen it sometime in the mid 90s.Could be wrong though :?

UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

This one i am positive it survives .I am sure i have seen it sometime in the mid 90s.Could be wrong though :?

UserPostedImage

Sunroof53 wrote:

I used to own 23 NMP,it's now with Keith Vipond(HVWOC,display manager).
Sunroof53
14 years ago

I used to own 23 NMP,it's now with Keith Vipond(HVWOC,display manager).

'50 Karmann wrote:

I met Kieth at Stanford this year .He did have a car there but im sure it wasnt this one.I remember him saying a freind drove it as he was suffering a bad leg.A standard i think.Be nice to have a recent picture of this car in what ever condition it may be in.I felt sorry for the guy on that day as he was clearly in pain and recieving a lot of hassle.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

Sunroof53 wrote:

A green Zwitter, once owned my Rob Meekings.

I think it is still around, but I didnt think Keith Vipond now owned it?
William
Chris
14 years ago
Keith Vipond owns a blue 1955 standard. I should know the reg munber but have forgotten it :oops: It's at all the shows, so should be well known. NMP23 was sold to Keith a number of years ago. I think I've got a couple of pictures of it at home. I'll have a root around tonight. It's currently stripped to it's shell and all the bits are in boxes.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
GKL 7
14 years ago

A green Zwitter, once owned my Rob Meekings.

I think it is still around, but I didnt think Keith Vipond now owned it?

54 Gertie wrote:

No 23NMP is a 1952 Standard sunroof car,X-German police.
The green zwitter formely owned by Rob Meekings is now back in North Wales.
I used to own that one as well:wink:
GKL 7
14 years ago

It's currently stripped to it's shell and all the bits are in boxes.

Chris wrote:

[-x The restoration is very nearly complete.
RoRoVw
14 years ago
Keith Vipond's 1955 Standard is XHA 20 and definately isn't lost. His restoration of 23 NMP is progressing and he sourced several missing parts for it in H O this year.

The Pastel Green zwitter is SSU 687 and at various times has been owned by George, Charles Oldroyd and me. Yes it's currently in North Wales and owned by Gwyn Jones. Once again, not lost.  m_Hatton & Sleaford 023.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  m_Ripon Old Cars 003.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
14 years ago
Nice pic of the zwitter RoRo.I shouldn't have sold that car:cry:
55Kab
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

What period did you own it George?

GKL 7
14 years ago
I owned it pre restoration.It was as solid as a rock.
Nowadays i don't think it would have been restored,just put back on the road.
55Kab
14 years ago

I owned it pre restoration.It was as solid as a rock.
Nowadays i don't think it would have been restored,just put back on the road.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Think you're right.

Reason I ask is I helped a member of the HVWOC pick up a red oxide primed split shell and some parts from a guy near Grimsby some years ago and I'm sure that car was in his garage so would that have been pre or post your ownership? He also had a sunroof split which needed restoring. Got some pics somewhere, I'll dig 'em out if you'd like to see.

GKL 7
14 years ago
The guy who had it after me was from Skegness,which is roughly the same area.
The other car,if it was a '52 sunroof,i purchased that from him post resto.Nice car.
Vintagebug and i went over and brought it back,and we went off to Camberg in it and another Split that Dave had bought from me.Happy Days.
It's in Northern California now.
It all sounds a bit confusing,but it makes sense to me:wink:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

One day, you'll find a 'keeper'.

I remember seeing a pic of SSU before it was restored- what a fantastic car!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago

One day, you'll find a 'keeper'.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I just love a change, Rich.
When the cabrio was finished,i found myself thinking, the pleasure was as much in the journey as the destination.
Like the '47, the fun was bringing it over and having a blast.
True,i'll find one, and i'll keep it(maybe Paris).
kdf38
14 years ago
Interesting Number Plates on some of those cars.

XXL 34 --- T-Shirt size?

SLB 253 --- Schlumberger Stock price in Danish Kroner

OEL 134 --- VWs need OEL. But OEL cylinder 2 as well...

OBO 113 --- "Would £95 buy the car, Sir?"

Still registered but last taxed in 1996...

UserPostedImage

VW Stan wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
14 years ago

Another lost Oval.Not sure if i posted some of these before:oops:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Sunroof53 wrote:

I recently met tim flynn... nice chapp.. and can talk for ever!

I'll ask him if he has any others to give away! :wink:
www.vwoval.co.uk
55Kab
14 years ago

The guy who had it after me was from Skegness,which is roughly the same area.
The other car,if it was a '52 sunroof,i purchased that from him post resto.Nice car.
Vintagebug and i went over and brought it back,and we went off to Camberg in it and another Split that Dave had bought from me.Happy Days.
It's in Northern California now.
It all sounds a bit confusing,but it makes sense to me:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Whilst digging through photos looking for something for Mr O I came across the pics George. You're right, it was Skegness. Would like to see a photo of the 52 ragtop when it was finished.

Here's the 51 I helped pick up with the ragtop behind:

UserPostedImage

And here's the ragtop with SSU in the garage. These were taken in November 1990 and there weren't too many places in the UK at that time where you could see 3 Splits together!

UserPostedImage

GKL 7
14 years ago
I've got pics of the finished car, but no scanner.So next time i see Chris i'll sort something out.We only live a mile apart,it's just a question of when we are both about at the same time.