Robb
14 years ago

These cars aren't lost but you will probably never see them again,even if they are still in the U.K
P.s look at the cars in the background,the way Peppercorn used to be:cry:

'50 Karmann wrote:

who owns these? last i heard Brian Burrows owned the STD
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

who owns these? last i heard Brian Burrows owned the STD

Robb wrote:

Somebody who wishes to remain fairly anonymous. He owns at least five pristene Split Bugs, four Hebmullers, three split-dash Karmann Kabs and this is a VERY small part of his collection. As far as I'm aware, they never get driven on the road.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
RoRoVw
14 years ago

Nice pic of the zwitter RoRo.I shouldn't have sold that car:cry:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Well George, now is your chance to re-purchase the Zwitter. It's not very far away from you either!
I've had a call today from the current owner to let me know that it's up for sale again. I've advised him to advertise it in the Classifieds section on here and I think it will appear there later today. It's a great, solid car with loads of history. It needs to stay in the UK and not be captured by the lowering brigade.

Cheers Rob.
RoRoVw
14 years ago
I see it's now listed on the Classified section and looking good.
GKL 7
14 years ago
I've sent an E-mail:wink:
RoRoVw
14 years ago

I've sent an E-mail:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Jolly good!
64rotbox
14 years ago
This could be the quickest deal for a long time.

"Users browsing this topic

'50 Karmann, 53Zwitter, 64rotbox"

Yup, that's me in my place,
You can call me Al.
RoRoVw
14 years ago
Dealing in 'real time'. Sounds good.
GKL 7
14 years ago
Ben,do you think '53 Zwitter could possibly be the owner:wink:
And you're tooo tight so that just leaves me:d
64rotbox
14 years ago
Erm, I'm not quite that dense. I meant the user names in that order sort of put things in... ooh, never mind.

You're right on the tight bit, though. The original Mr. Thrifty. You could no more get a Visa card between the cheeks of my bottom that you could get it out of my coat pocket.
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
14 years ago

I meant the user names in that order sort of put things in... ooh, never mind.

64rotbox wrote:

Got it first time.
Where's Gwyn these days??Does he not do Forums.
64rotbox
14 years ago
Not much. He seems to find working and having a family and stuff more important that staring at the internet all day. Strange chap. All his cars are fat strutters, anyway...

Anyway, shall we have some more photos instead of all this idle chit-chat? Specifically Dafydd Hughes' photos of the James residence.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
You can call me Al.
55Kab
14 years ago
^^^^ tks for posting Ben. Some really interesting and sad photos there. Do you have any idea when they were taken or what happened to the yard? Was anything saved?

I guess the business was started pre the So-End Look explosion in the mid 80's so it was just a yard full of old VW's but once the UK entered into full on Cal-Look mode surely people was making offer's for the cars all the time. I couldn't help myself but I looked on Google Earth (fantastic tool) and found the site but alas from 130,000ft zoomed in and no sign of Beetle's! :lol:

64rotbox
14 years ago
Mid '80s, I think the snaps were taken, I'll have to check with DH. There'd been VWs there for many years before it all got trendy, unfortunately after a newspaper article (concerning the council's attempts to clear the place out) was printed in VWM, the place was deluged with people after bits for nothing, and I think the attitude of the owners changed somewhat. People were making daft offers for parts/cars, and that got their backs up a bit. There was a fair bit of thieving as well, I was told.

I only went the once on the premise of needing a fusebox, and purposely didn't take photos or be a nuisance, so I seemed to get on OK with them (Des and his son, I think it was). The lot was cleared in the mid '90s, I seem to remember. I've no idea if anything got out 'alive', but most of it was beyond saving (for then, anyway... these days things would be very different).

I never found those two Splits parked at the side of the road near Aberystwyth, either.
You can call me Al.
Chris
14 years ago
Hey Ben, Who's that good looking chap in the last photo ?
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Ovalbug
14 years ago

Mid '80s, I think the snaps were taken, I'll have to check with DH. There'd been VWs there for many years before it all got trendy, unfortunately after a newspaper article (concerning the council's attempts to clear the place out) was printed in VWM, the place was deluged with people after bits for nothing, and I think the attitude of the owners changed somewhat. People were making daft offers for parts/cars, and that got their backs up a bit. There was a fair bit of thieving as well, I was told.

I only went the once on the premise of needing a fusebox, and purposely didn't take photos or be a nuisance, so I seemed to get on OK with them (Des and his son, I think it was). The lot was cleared in the mid '90s, I seem to remember. I've no idea if anything got out 'alive', but most of it was beyond saving (for then, anyway... these days things would be very different).

I never found those two Splits parked at the side of the road near Aberystwyth, either.

64rotbox wrote:

I didn't realise that the story of the Beetles in Talybont had ever made the pages of VWM?
The place came to my attention as a result of a news article in the Western Mail and my Dad drove me up there one sunny weekend just to see the place out of interest; it had to have been the summer of '84 as I had yet to learn to drive!
As I wasn't into VW's at all at that stage (neither was my Dad) Des James was fairly welcoming as it was obvious we didn't want anything from him.....but I do remember him mentioning that he had begun to have a lot of parts pilfered from his vehicles as a result of his new found 'fame'.....
Looking at those 'photos I wish I'd had a much better look at the time , but I was only a kid, and not really into those funny cars with the engine in the back......:lol:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sunroof53
14 years ago

Anyone seen these?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

Hey Ben, Who's that good looking chap in the last photo ?

Chris wrote:

Well, You can't mean Dave McMitchell.
vintagebug
14 years ago

Well, You can't mean Dave McMitchell

Of course he does, George. He's the only good looking chap in the photo.

Btw, where did the "Mc" come from?? :wink:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
64rotbox
14 years ago

Anyone seen these?

Sunroof53 wrote:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16513 
You can call me Al.