AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
11 years ago
To all you Buffers out there can any one throw any light on this picture i have come across. It says ---- Riepenhausen-Stoll Beetle with large luggage compartment ----

Can any one add any info on it.

Andy W  Stoll Bug.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
11 years ago
It is the stoll that was found and restored by Bob Shail, and now sits in the VW museum.
The one and only Stoll.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Do you have any idia what year this was taken and who owned it at the time. Was this how it was from the factory??? Cheers

Andy W
GKL 7
11 years ago
Here's restored pictures for you Andy.
The car will have originally been as in the picture,it had just received a couple of nasty mods somewhere along the line in it's life.
Although believed to be the only one,there has been rumours three were made.IMHO only the one ever existed.  342767.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1952-stoll-coupe-5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Thanks for that George. i have a picture some were of the Stoll and the Hebb in Bobs back garden when thay were both under renovation. Also can any of you remember the story that beetaling did on Bob finding the Heb on some scrop land in Wembley ?????

Andy W
GKL 7
11 years ago
Must be this picture Andy,two great cars and the man himself.
Bob unearthed the Heb,after a tip off,from behind Crystal Palace football clubs ground.
It's still in the UK with a well known collector.  412569_224181037688937_372139285_o.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Thats the one :thumbup: Can you remember the Beetaling Story?????

Andy W
GKL 7
11 years ago
Probably read it,years back.
Bob used to tell the story in his excellent bi-monthly publications(Split window club newsletter,Volkswagen elite etc etc)
Don't see Bob about nearly enough nowadays.  558678_223968911043483_276086556_n.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
All those years ago were has the time gone !!!!!!!!!!!!! To think it was just lieing on some scrap land 😮 Did he have a day to get it moved before the bulldozers moved in ?

Andy W
GKL 7
11 years ago
So the Heb Bob got,Robin Arkle's Heb(now in N.Ireland)and the third UK Heb.
Yet to be found but it has my name on it:wink:
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
I can remember in the mid 80s about 2 KDF beetles in a scrap yard in Scotland getting put through the crusher also a early bug with a judson on it in my friends dads garrage/ scrapyard getting cut up 😞 😞 How many hebs came in to this country in the biggining? Any one know ????

Andy W
heb623
11 years ago

So the Heb Bob got,Robin Arkle's Heb(now in N.Ireland)and the third UK Heb.
Yet to be found but it has my name on it:wink:

GKL 7 wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Did these survive ?????

Andy W  16893.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  299356.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
11 years ago
A.Got cut up
B.Isn't a Heb,but it survived.
GKL 7
11 years ago

How many hebs came in to this country in the biggining? Any one know ????

AW wrote:

I think that's an impossible question to answer.
No official imports, so it would have been down to private individuals.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Before the import of 'recent' cars such as the ones now owned by Mr. Allawi and Yan, there were only four known historical 'UK Hebs': Bob's Crystal Palace car, The Arkle-mobile and two others.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
From what I recall the original owner of the Stoll Coupe bought the car new as a standard saloon and then in 1956, had it modified to become the '4 seater coupe'. In 1966, still owned by the same guy, he wanted more luggage space so had the new front hood made by Stoll to accommodate more luggage. He kept the car until 1969 when it was sold to a student who was travelling around Europe- this is how it came to the UK.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
11 years ago
I heard that a few people knew about the stoll before Bob bought it, but nobody wanted it because it was so ugly... I can see why 😉
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

I heard that a few people knew about the stoll before Bob bought it, but nobody wanted it because it was so ugly... I can see why ;-)

pre67vw wrote:

I don´t know - it makes the original Heb coupé look like the pig it was.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
11 years ago

I don´t know - it makes the original Heb coupé look like the pig it was.

JD wrote:

It looks lovely now, but with that big lump on the front and headlight eyebrows - it was ugly. I have to say though, Heb coupe is much nicer looking than the Stoll - the Stoll back window is just too big.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW