pre67vw
10 years ago
That van is so cool :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
ianmac
10 years ago

Here are some photos that John has kindly sent me. I will let John tell you about them.

Andy W

AW wrote:

Love that very cool 😎
RockStock
10 years ago
Wow great pics John
Appropriate plate on the truck!

Early rhd Barndoor - may even be a 53 cos it has the upward pointing ext mirror
Looks like it was converted from an Ambulance, mainly cos of the small engine lid
Cargo doors on lhs, but oddly also looks like the outline of cargo doors on the rhs - but no hinges
Also has additional vertical seams further back, running up from the rear wheel arch
Cargo area windows would have been plated over
No semaphores, only indicators on roof?

Could also have been converted from a Single Cab I suppose...

Fantastic sign writing, esp when it had the darker bottom half/white beltline!
Love the writing around the headlights here

UserPostedImage

Later incarnation of the truck, with the later dealer location, has updated/lost the ribbed bumpers, gained chunky rear tyres, front panel indicators/extra taillights, and the ext mirror now droops down (better viewing?!)

UserPostedImage

Ace being in Nottingham as I lived there for 4 years

More pics please!
Is she still around?

And an Oakley article looming, I feel!
StockRocks
John Beardall
10 years ago

Here are some photos that John has kindly sent me. I will let John tell you about them.

Andy W

AW wrote:

Thank Andy
They look great:thumbup: Did anyone remember the little cars in the photo of old Loughborough Road?
The van I thing was either a '53 or '54 model, insurance total loss!!, the man standing next to it in one of the photos is Harry Lovett, he was "The Man" he did the conversion from a van, all his own idea's I will also send photo of the other pickup Beetle front end and Variant rear, Kev Hopcroft will remember that. I will try to get more photos on just as soon as I can.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
10 years ago
The little cars were Goggomobiles :d ( if that's how you spell it ???? )

Andy W

Rich Oakley
10 years ago
John and Andy,

Thank you very much for this information and pictures! This is fantastic stuff.

The van, by the way was a late 1954 model, first registered in January 1955 in Leeds.

John- I would be most grateful if you could drop me an email: [email protected] I would love to write about the history of Beardalls for Volksworld magazine.

Many thanks.
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
John Beardall
10 years ago

The little cars were Goggomobiles :d ( if that's how you spell it ???? )

Andy W

AW wrote:

You got that one right :beer: little 2 stroke engine with preselect gear box, also did a beautiful little coupe. I remember them well, travelled miles in them.

John
John Beardall
10 years ago

Wow great pics John
Appropriate plate on the truck!

Early rhd Barndoor - may even be a 53 cos it has the upward pointing ext mirror
Looks like it was converted from an Ambulance, mainly cos of the small engine lid
Cargo doors on lhs, but oddly also looks like the outline of cargo doors on the rhs - but no hinges
Also has additional vertical seams further back, running up from the rear wheel arch
Cargo area windows would have been plated over
No semaphores, only indicators on roof?

Could also have been converted from a Single Cab I suppose...

Fantastic sign writing, esp when it had the darker bottom half/white beltline!
Love the writing around the headlights here

UserPostedImage

Later incarnation of the truck, with the later dealer location, has updated/lost the ribbed bumpers, gained chunky rear tyres, front panel indicators/extra taillights, and the ext mirror now droops down (better viewing?!)

UserPostedImage

Ace being in Nottingham as I lived there for 4 years

More pics please!
Is she still around?

And an Oakley article looming, I feel!

RockStock wrote:

It was an eye full, and the plate was just right, was known as TUG.

John
chrisbug91
10 years ago
I've always been fascinated by Goggomobil's but I never knew they were sold in the UK market, do many survive?
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
There's one on Ebay at the mo RHD t700 royal. Car needs full restro.  $T2eC16FHJHgFFmEJFrZfBRf(6sPu+g~~60_12.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
Also this fiberglass shell of the Goggo dart for sale at Andys modern micro cars.  goggo_dart_bodyshell.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
John Beardall
10 years ago

Also this fiberglass shell of the Goggo dart for sale at Andys modern micro cars.

AW wrote:

A little like the old Daimler SP250 (Dart), you recon anyone got the bit's to build? :idea: John Beardall
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
John the people that make the shell will build a turn key car for you.

Andy W
John Beardall
10 years ago

John the people that make the shell will build a turn key car for you.

Andy W

AW wrote:

Now will that be at 1955's price :?: joking aside, they were wonderful little cars in their day, plenty of leg room in the front (my father was at that time unable to bend his leg after war wounds) I still have very fond memories of the coupe he ran for a while, Have to admit to not seeing one since he stopped selling them though.

john
59 Ragtop
10 years ago

What a great topic. Thanks for all the info. Superb:thumbup:
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
:beer:  B1 por.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
John Beardall
10 years ago
And this was how it was done, well it would be if only I could understand how to upload off my computer, the article seems to be to large. I will send it to Andy, he's my man for uploading
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
:beer:  pan1re.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.   pan re.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  B in.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Show Room.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
John Beardall
10 years ago
OK, I will now try to upload an old story of a very good customer, he also liked his Beetle to go rather fast for the day! Well that didn't happen, however hope you like this, I will try to up my computer skills, but please don't hold your breath!:oops:  BETWEEN OURSELVES 2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  BS 2 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  LITTLE PICKUP chop 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
Well done John :thumbup:

Andy W