1974dudley
7 years ago
Hi everyone I am looking for help in identifying a original light grey split beetle colour used in 1952.

I am restoring another of my 1952 split beetles. It's a deluxe model with crotch coolers. I can see original paint behind the chassis plate which is light grey in colour and I am thinking it looks like L23 Silver Grey. It isn't Jupiter or Pearl Grey and it is much lighter so that's why I am thinking L23 Silver Grey.

Has anyone any pictures of a light grey split or colour codes for something in light grey.

Thanks in advance Colin.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrmagyar
7 years ago
Hi Colin,

As far as I know the only grey available on Beetles up until at least '53 was L21 Pearl grey. Jupiter grey came in '53 but as you say it's much lighter. It's not the undercoat that's showing is it?

Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Rattletrap
7 years ago

Hi Colin,

As far as I know the only grey available on Beetles up until at least '53 was L21 Pearl grey. Jupiter grey came in '53 but as you say it's much lighter. It's not the undercoat that's showing is it?

Cheers,
Andy.

Originally Posted by: mrmagyar 

This is certainly correct for the Standard model. I have though seen a lighter grey before on a Deluxe:?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
1974dudley
7 years ago
My 52 standard is L21 pearl grey, but this deluxe bug is much lighter. I am trying to get some L90 and some L23 mixed up as these seem to be the closest to the og paint behind the vin plate. The local paint suppliers are unable to get the formula sorted for the L23 or the L90 though which is holding my plans to paint the wheels to see which is the best match for the og paint.
1974dudley
7 years ago
I have removed the ashtray hardware from the dash as it has been painted over by the previous owner to reveal more of this light colour on the dash behind the ashtray bevel. I am in the process of removing the bulk of the primer using a mixture of nitromors and thinners. Its a horrible job but I want to see whats there before going bare metal. Some nice crusty patina coming through and it is tempting to go down this route but keep everything original and usable as I am going down the full respray with the other split.
Rattletrap
7 years ago
What country is your car from:?:

I ask this because I think that VW had lighter colours for vehicles destined for hotter countries, that is different from the usual colours for Europe and the USA for example.

I have seen the lighter grey as well as white/cream on South African Split-Window-Beetles, although these would normally be right-hand-drive.:smile:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378