Pricivius
7 years ago
Hi

I've recently had a few problems with the zwitter which have required it to be recovered. Hopefully, it is now mended, but I would appreciate your views on my experiences.

The nature of the problem was that the car was still running, but would cut out after 100 yards or so. It ran normally up to that point. The first and second times it broke down, the recovery drivers drove it on to their recovery trucks without difficulty. They accepted my request that the vehicle should not be winched unless absolutely necessary due to the potential for causing damage, even if 'only' to the paintwork on the front sill.

However, on the third occasion, the recovery driver refused to drive it on to his recovery truck. He was insistent on winching it on. A stand-off ensued and eventually I was abandoned by the recovery company who said they had fulfilled their obligation to recover me by offering to winch it. They have since confirmed their policy - if the recovery driver is prepared to drive it on, they can do. But if they are not prepared to, the recovery company will not force them to or send another truck. Effectively it is luck of the draw!

I would appreciate your views on:

1. Am I being too precious and should just let them winch it (whilst wincing and inwardly crying)?

2. Has anyone come across this before?

3. Does anyone use a recovery company who are prepared to drive it on if possible?

Thanks in advance.
Dawn
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rattletrap
7 years ago
What was the cause of your car's breakdowns? The last time I had such a problem as yours (running for a short while and cutting out), it turned out to be the coil. I'd leave the car for around 20mins-half an hour after a cut-out then it would start fine then after a short distance, would cut out again (once the coil had become warm).

Yes, winching a Beetle without care can result in the winch cable damaging the underside of the spare wheel well. Only have used the AA myself.:mellow:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Pricivius
7 years ago
We think it was a carburettor problem. Between the various breakdowns, we replaced the coil, the spark plugs, the condenser and replaced the replaceables in the fuel pump. Still no joy. Now replaced the replaceables in the carb so hopefully problem solved...

Hate to say it but this is the AA!!! After over 5 hours, they left a lone woman on an unlit road in the middle of nowhere at 21.45.
Dawn
Rattletrap
7 years ago

Hate to say it but this is the AA!!! After over 5 hours, they left a lone woman on an unlit road in the middle of nowhere at 21.45.

Originally Posted by: Pricivius 

Shocking treatment, Dawn. I was an AA member for many years, and for most of those years, I never had to call them out. However, one day my bus failed with a blockage in the lift pump filter (it's a diesel engine:oops: ), a job I could fix but not with the vehicle half blocking a busy road. I was less than half a mile from my house but the AA refused to tow the bus that short distance with their 7 tonne truck, and abandoned me and said bus. I had to call a private vehicle rescue company and they towed it to my house - but they charged like a wounded rhino.:(

I had the bus running after a few hours cleaning the pump filter and clearing air locks from the fuel lines. I did not renew the AA membership.:smile:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rod_vw
7 years ago
Dawn, a suggestion for the next time if there is one. Carry a webbing strap type tow rope which you can attach to the front beam, that should reduce the possible damage to the front apron that could be done by the recovery truck's wire winch rope. Even with a modern vehicle I always carry a tow rope of some sort, you never know when you or someone else needs rescuing.

Rod
russell ritchie
7 years ago
So..

You should have no hesitation in getting the AA or any other recovery to winch the car on... normally these guys are better with the winch than they are with old beetle brakes....

I would rather the car be off the road and rescued than at the side of the road.... to be honest you must be the luckiest recovery call ever if there car still drives.... normally recovery means fail car problem and its dead.... if this was the case they would have no option other than winch..., I'm sure if you ask them to be careful they would be.

Ive been a member of the AA since 1993 have a gold membership now and have never had a problem with them and have never had a car driven by them, as they always had engine or gearbox problems.

So to answer your question:

Dawn your being to precious about the car, think of yourself and your safety.

Cheers

Russell
Pricivius
7 years ago
Thanks for your post, Russell. I appreciate everyone's viewpoints.

I think my frustration is with the inconsistency of the AA's approach. The weekend before, two separate recovery drivers in two different parts of the country happily drove it on to their trucks. Then my guy refused...

I have now joined the RAC who have added a note to my record that the car is to be driven on to the recovery truck wherever possible. So far, it's not been needed.
Dawn
Mike Peckham
7 years ago
I've just seen this, and read the comments with interest, as I had to have my Oval recovered for the first time by the AA last year when the clutch cable failed.

The car was winched onto the truck, it didn't occur to me that there was a risk of it being damaged, and I'm glad to say that it wasn't. Far be it from me to say that you're being too precious with your car (we all love our old VWs as though they were our children :wink: ), but I think you might be worrying unnecessarily. The recovery guys do know what they're doing, and if you're present while the car is being winched and make clear your concerns, I'm sure the will take all necessary care, and all will be well.

Mike 😎
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Old Blue
7 years ago
My son had a breakdown in his 1956 Beetle a couple of years ago. He was with the RAC, and considering the car was lowered to a state with the front panel almost touching the road, the RAC recovery man did an excellent job in being able to winch the car onto the recovery truck. Mind you, the spare wheel bottom panel already had a few scrapes and dents from kerbs and raised manhole covers.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!