THEBOFFIN
10 years ago
Hi

Can anyone help with parts for my 36 hp engine?

need;

an inlet valve,
an exhaust valve
a single pushrod inc lifter
rocker arm assemblies or just arms
oil strainer
stud for exhaust mount on head

Used are fine as long as they are in good condition.

PM me with any details
cheers
adam
THEBOFFIN
10 years ago
Hi All

Decided to tackle the door hinge replacement on one of my cabrio doors (which has bent hinges) using the 62 saloon door I had as a donor.
After reading a few posts on the web it seemed a relatively simple task!

First drill out the factory countersunk rivets on the donor door;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Remove hinges;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Secondly drill out the factory countersunk rivets very carefully on the cabrio door to retain the countersink in the door, which is essential to preserve the accurate lining up and placement of the replacement hinges;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

See here the original drilled out rivets and countersink in the door frame;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Remove hinges;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

With hinges removed there was a little bit of twisting/damage to the door skin and flanges from the original hinge damage I guess, but this was minimal and behind the hinges, so I reshaped and tidied up skin as best I could.

With both sets of hinges out and put side by side you can clearly see the bend on the original ones!;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Replacement hinges in cabrio door;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

To fix them back in I used M6 countersunk allen bolts and nylock nuts;
Once bolted up the new hinges looked good in the door!;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

I then mounted the door on the shell (which is much easier with the body on its side!

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Fit seems very good on hinge edge;

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Gap is out of line slightly on door catch side , so when body is bolted to pan I’ll check again.. there could be a slight bit of flex in the body…but the gap for a cabrio body off the pan is great!

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Once I’m happy and ready to paint the doors, I’ll tack weld the allen bolts in place on the inside face to keep them secure.

UserPostedImage 
THEBOFFIN
10 years ago
Important comment made on my post on VZi...very important to keep the countersink on hinge plate as well as doors!! :shock: :shock:

"Oh, I wish I'd known you were doing the hinges. Reason I say this is the second hand hinges you've fitted look to have ovalled holes from when you removed them. Over time the opening and closing of the door will make the door slip within the ovalled hole and cause the door to misfit.

I found this out when I had to replace my 59s hinges due to the same damage as yours. I also removed the upper strengthening plate due to being split and bent outta shape from the door swinging too far backwards. Had to weld the holes up and re-drill them.

I thought it best to let you know this instead of finding out a few years down the road after paint ;)

Otherwise top job :) "

Hi

Thanks for the advice

Yes i did overdrill one hole on the top donor hinge before i realised the actual hingeplates were also countersunk, and slightly drilled off center on some of the others, although there was enough coutersinking left on both hinges for them to locate correctly.

But yes i agree they could move in time which is why before i paint the door i will weld the bolts up in position and drill a couple of holes at the top and the bottom through the door and into each hinge plates then plug weld them to keep them secure.

cheers!
THEBOFFIN
10 years ago
Few more progress pics..

Started painting tinware….cleaned front pulley, stripped back oil pump cover and behind pulley tinware, back to bare metal, but was quite pitted so used hammerite rust treatment high build primer which gave a good smooth finish,

UserPostedImage 

then painted with a rattle can of BMW gloss black I had left over, got quite a good finish that I’m happy with!...gloss rather than semi matt finish , but looks good!

UserPostedImage 

Barrels and studs cleaned…just need to tackle heads!

UserPostedImage 

Recieved free original used valves from Dave B (thanks Dave!)
In great condition and original marked up VW ones too!

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

While digging through whats left of my ‘NOS Box’ I found the two parts of the oil pump gear sealed in original bags!...by putting the old and new together I could really see the wear on the original gearing.

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Also started sorting out other bits and pieces so I can start putting the pan/brakes/suspension back together.

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Coming along nicely!
pre67vw
10 years ago
:thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
THEBOFFIN
9 years ago
Hi All

been a long time since my last post!...not done a lot in the last year except paint most of the tinware and repair/paint the stale air heat exchangers, some pics to follow.

Hopefully in the next month i'll be getting back to it again, starting with finishing off rebuilding the engine, then the running gear and pan.

will keep this post updated, keep watching!:shock: :d
lil_azza
8 years ago
Looking great buddy keep it up
THEBOFFIN
6 years ago
long time since the last post...but progress!..engine rebuilt, gearbox and front axle done, now a rolling pan too!..now on to the bodywork!..pics to follow.
51reutter
3 years ago
Any progress?
Instagram | @early_type