Sunroof53
15 years ago
I've been scanning again so get your magnifying glasses out.There are a few cars i remember from features in this list including the now unmentionable rattletrap,but what about rest, anybody know?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago
PRU 516 I recognise! Sorry about the awful picture! Stole it from Ultra VWs website!:wink: :oops:

Strato silver 55! :wink:

UserPostedImage

I wouldnt want PDO 569!:lol:
William
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Kevin Wiggins, who sometimes posts here has resurrected the pre '53 registry, now hosted on The Samba: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/registry/ 

For privacy reasons it doesn't display owner's names.
John.
VW Stan
15 years ago
I used to own 54 CLD which is the last one on the list.
It was 'Ovalised' in the 70s and used as a delivery van for an electrical company in Worthing, before being heavily customised and returned to a split (before I bought it).

:shock:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
48REME
15 years ago
Glad to see that back in those days, the idea of vintage didn't stop at the arbitrary pre-57 only threshold!:wink:
VW Stan
15 years ago
Top of page one is Robin Allen and top of page two is Rod Sleigh!

8)

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
48REME
15 years ago
I'm surprised that Jim Murray doesn't feature in the list. In those days he had his black 1948 VW with...well, the number plate 1948 VW!
Gone to FM in Northern Ireland in the mid 90s.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Car number 101 is listed incorrectly, it's a '47 not a '49.
Car number 64 was scrapped in the 70s.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Forgot to mention that the list is from safer motoring 1978.I have got some more in the scanner.Next lot isnt so long but there is a 47:shock: in the list which could be still around.
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Car number 101 is listed incorrectly, it's a '47 not a '49.
Car number 64 was scrapped in the 70s.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Its not the only one listed incorrectly.Look at No 37 :roll: .Made me wonder what you would register it as today :?
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Swiftly moving on here is some more.Addresses now gone
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Yep, that '47 is still alive and well.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
15 years ago

Yep, that '47 is still alive and well.

Rich Oakley wrote:

And a long way away
RoRoVw
15 years ago
From this later list:
The 1955 Deluxe, 861 LUG, was bought by me in 1979 and swapped for a part complete 1971 cabrio around 1984/85. The oval hasn't been on the road since and appeared on ebay a few months ago for sale as a project car. Where did it go?

The 1961 Deluxe, VCH 135, is owned by Annette Birch from the West Midlands and is a regular attender at Historic Club displays.
54 Gertie
15 years ago
No. 106 on the second page of the first list, It's our Gertie! :d It says 54 but she is really a 55! None of the previous owners seemed to ge aware of this though!:lol:

I thought that she was in it from the history the car has but after four or five looks I couldnt find it! Well, I was wrong! :roll: :wink:

Here she is! She would have however then been owned by Bill Perham, rather than Albert Perham who is named but im guessing that they are the same details that we have a copy of that were sent off in 72 ish!

Her circa 1971, so pretty close!8) Thats Mrs Perham!

UserPostedImage

Just printed it off and it is now in her history! :wink:
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Not sure I would want BNP 857B on the front of my car! :wink:

People may think that it is a personalised number plate!:lol: :roll:
William
Sunroof53
15 years ago
Few more for all you spotters .23 NMP strikes a chord,It was last taxed in 83.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
55Kab
15 years ago
Mike has eluded to this elsewhere but with help from a certain Mr Oakley, I will soon be launching a website devoted to the "British Vintage Volkswagen". A register of all and any known cars by reggy number will form the core site data and will include Beetle's, Buses, Ghia's and Type 3's up until the introduction of 12v in 1968.

Note that this is strictly aimed at only "British" cars, so with the exeception of the very early cars, so we're talking split window Beetle's and the odd Ghia etc, to qualify the car will have to have been UK dealer supplied and be RHD.

I aim to include a section where owners can highlight and talk about their cars together with a gallery which will include views from the graveyard.

No plans currently to include a forum as it's covered well here and on the Samba. I hope you'll all support it when it goes live, working the HTML now!

PS - Mike, you may want to consider removing those pages as I'm sure most of those owners and cars are not connected now but due to the data protection act you need to be very, very careful about posting names with addresses. "British Vintage Volkswagens" will only publish an owners name where he or she has given written confirmation that they're happy for it to appear on the web.
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Mike has eluded to this elsewhere but with help from a certain Mr Oakley, I will soon be launching a website devoted to the "British Vintage Volkswagen". A register of all and any known cars by reggy number will form the core site data and will include Beetle's, Buses, Ghia's and Type 3's up until the introduction of 12v in 1968.

Note that this is strictly aimed at only "British" cars, so with the exeception of the very early cars, so we're talking split window Beetle's and the odd Ghia etc, to qualify the car will have to have been UK dealer supplied and be RHD.

I aim to include a section where owners can highlight and talk about their cars together with a gallery which will include views from the graveyard.

No plans currently to include a forum as it's covered well here and on the Samba. I hope you'll all support it when it goes live, working the HTML now!

PS - Mike, you may want to consider removing those pages as I'm sure most of those owners and cars are not connected now but due to the data protection act you need to be very, very careful about posting names with addresses. "British Vintage Volkswagens" will only publish an owners name where he or she has given written confirmation that they're happy for it to appear on the web.

55Kab wrote:

Martin: Good luck with your register .There is probably some of the above locked away somewhere.Adresses now fixed.The 23NMP car is still interesting me someone must know where it is .Last taxed in 83 but not scrapped
Chris
15 years ago

The 23NMP car is still interesting me someone must know where it is .Last taxed in 83 but not scrapped

Sunroof53 wrote:

George used to own 23 NMP, it's a Split Standard Sunroof IIRC. George sold it a long time ago to a Mr Nigel Padgent (I think). Sadly, Mr Padget passed away either last year or the year before and his wife put a number of cars that he had in his possesion up for sale. 23 NMP was bought by an active member of the Historic Volkswagen Club, with the intention of being restored to it's former glory. It's currently a big jigsaw puzzle. I've got a couple of pictures of it somewhere in it's current state. I'll root them out later.

Chris
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.