55Kab
14 years ago
That would be good, tks George.

Chris
14 years ago
George, I'll call up tomorrow night if you want ? Bring my laptop and scanner up. I was in bed all day Sunday with a stomach upset (daren't move further than 20 yards from the toilet :oops: )
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
GKL 7
14 years ago

(daren't move further than 20 yards from the toilet :oops: )

Chris wrote:

Thanks Chris but tooooooooo much information.:roll:
Chris
14 years ago

Would like to see a photo of the 52 ragtop when it was finished.

55Kab wrote:

Here's a couple of pictures I've got of it in my collection. Excuse the quality, but these were taken with what must have been a prototype digital camera. These were taken at the All Types show in North Wales around 1999, but George will know for sure. The blue split with it belonged to Dave (Vintagebug), but is now owned by Ianmac. (The one that got away :cry: )

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've also got the magazine feature on it somewhere. TotalVW Issue #21. I'll scan that in tomorrow if I get chance. Otherwise it's Monday as I'm away for the weekend.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Chris
14 years ago
Here's another 'Lost' oval. I found this about 11 years ago after hearing about it from a friend who went to see a landrover in the same field. Sorry for the quality of the pics, but remember digital cameras were new then :lol: It's a RHD but I cannot tell what year it is. But looking at the steering wheel in the third picture, it looks like a standard but it's clearly got chrome trim. Ben (64Rotbox) should have some better quality pictures on file as I took him to get some shots of it. Anyway, as for as I know it's still there to this day :cry: Maybe Ben will post some more pics.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

VW Stan
14 years ago

It's a RHD but I cannot tell what year it is. But looking at the steering wheel in the third picture, it looks like a standard but it's clearly got chrome trim.

Chris wrote:

From the colour, window rubbers, steering wheel and seats, it does look like a std. 56-57 looking at the light position on the back wings.

Is it near you Chris?

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Chris
14 years ago

Is it near you Chris?

VW Stan wrote:

If it's still there, then yes. It's about a half hour drive from my house. Suppose I should make an effort to get back there :oops: Only problem is the old guy who owns them. I've heard stories of him coming out of his caravan with his shotgun and questions are not the first thing on his mind :shock:

64rotbox
14 years ago
Erm... I can't remember but my shots of that might be on slides, and christ knows where they might have gone (I destroyed pretty much everything to do with my brief period in the 'publishing business' in a big therapeutic type exercise/voodoo ritual involving a doll which looked like... er well, let's not go there) but I might still have them knocking about in a forgotten box. I'll have a look.

The car (or what remains of it) was still there a couple of years ago. I saw the bloke in question on the other side of Mold, pedaling towards Chester, so I figured it'd be safe to go for a quick nose. I didn't hang about, mind.
You can call me Al.
55Kab
14 years ago

Here's a couple of pictures I've got of it in my collection. Excuse the quality, but these were taken with what must have been a prototype digital camera. These were taken at the All Types show in North Wales around 1999, but George will know for sure. The blue split with it belonged to Dave (Vintagebug), but is now owned by Ianmac. (The one that got away :cry: )

I've also got the magazine feature on it somewhere. TotalVW Issue #21. I'll scan that in tomorrow if I get chance. Otherwise it's Monday as I'm away for the weekend.

Chris wrote:

Tks for posting Chris. From what I saw of it, she certainly turned out very nice. I've just looked out issue 21 of TVW and read the article. As he's mentioned in the article I now remember the photos I posted were taken at Steve Chapman's house.

Unless you (or someone else!) beats me to it I'll also have a go at scanning and posting up the pages.

54 Gertie
14 years ago

From the colour, window rubbers, steering wheel and seats, it does look like a std. 56-57 looking at the light position on the back wings.

Is it near you Chris?

VW Stan wrote:

It has a pre Aug '55 one piece valence so I would be leaning towards and "early" oval that has had the newer lights, like a lot of heart light cars. I tried zooming in on the heater outlets but I think that bottom 10 inches have rather returned to earth and anything else that may date it is too fuzzy or not in view.

What ever it is, it is worth a look back, and grab us some numbers while your there! It looks to have been there for a century so it will probably still have its crash box. :wink:

Maybe another one for the list Malc? 😎

William
55Kab
14 years ago

Here's another 'Lost' oval. I found this about 11 years ago after hearing about it from a friend who went to see a landrover in the same field. Sorry for the quality of the pics, but remember digital cameras were new then :lol: It's a RHD but I cannot tell what year it is. But looking at the steering wheel in the third picture, it looks like a standard but it's clearly got chrome trim. Ben (64Rotbox) should have some better quality pictures on file as I took him to get some shots of it. Anyway, as for as I know it's still there to this day

Chris wrote:

Very interesting photos Chris, I hope Ben can post some more as I love these types of photos.

I recall some photos of a dead Oval in a field (in Wales?) that were printed in an issue of Dubscene or some such. I wonder if it is the same car? Will try and look that out for a scanning also.

GKL 7
14 years ago

I saw the bloke in question on the other side of Mold, pedaling towards Chester, so I figured it'd be safe to go for a quick nose. I didn't hang about, mind.

64rotbox wrote:

You should have knocked him into the ditch Ben.
You'd have had plenty of time to pipe out the car then.:twisted:
55Kab
14 years ago
Here's the scans from TVW issue No.21:

UserPostedImage

I didn't bother doing the whole page just the nice pics of 152 UKP:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Looked a very, very nice car George.

55Kab
14 years ago
And the very issue before that (No.20) is where I found the pics of the dead Oval I remembered and it turns out it is the same car with the photos being taken by Ben.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Would really like to see some recent photos and also to know if there was any sign of its number plate and chassis number so we could learn its identity.

64rotbox
14 years ago
There's probably some pattern to the bloke's movements, but I've not got time to stake the place out these days... However if I do happen to get a chance again, I might go for a look. I certainly don't remember any number plates anywhere, the decklid was obviously pinched long, long ago.
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
14 years ago
Am i right in thinking those front wings look like U.S spec.I think you can see the remains of one of the indicator pods on the N/S front wing.
VW Stan
14 years ago

Am i right in thinking those front wings look like U.S spec.I think you can see the remains of one of the indicator pods on the N/S front wing.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Nope, after market indicators. They're on the back wings too.

:wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Looked a very, very nice car George.

55Kab wrote:

:d I've had some nice ones over the years,i've been very fortunate.:d
:beer: :beer: Here's to the next find:beer: :beer:
VW Stan
14 years ago

:d I've had some nice ones over the years,i've been very fortunate.
:beer: :beer: Here's to the next find:beer: :beer:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Chris knows where there's a RHD Standard Oval project near you! :shock:

I know you love a challenge :wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Chris knows where there's a RHD Standard Oval project near you! :shock:

I know you love a challenge :wink:

VW Stan wrote:

I think i could save the steering wheel.