vintagebug
14 years ago

A beauty. Looks like a great resto has been done on this one. RHD though...?

By my reckoning that's about £16,500. A good deal! (plus the shipping of course) :d

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=911778 

Love the number plate!! :beer:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
That is beautiful- I think it is a South African assembled car. I saw it up for sale a couple of years ago- can't remember how much it sold for though.

Price landed in the UK?... I guess you would be looking at around £1500 for RoRo shipping now + optional insurance £500-ish? Duty for a non-Euro assembled car (inc shipping) @ £1800, VAT at 17.5% (new rate as from 2010) @ £3150 (5% VAT rule 9705 for 'cars over 50 years' or 'historic vehicles' has all but been abolished), plus plus customs handling fees ~ £100. I guess you would now be looking at £23-24k to get it into the UK.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
vintagebug
14 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of money in customs/ duties. What a shame it isn't in the UK (or even in the EU).

:(

Dave
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Drive it home. 😎
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
14 years ago

Drive it home. 😎

JD wrote:

Just needs a little prep for the trip

UserPostedImage
https://www.artcars.com/dustydave/index.html 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Beautiful car but weren't all splits left hand drive?
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
vintagebug
14 years ago

Drive it home.

Yep- I'll be back in time for tea... :wink:

See Rich Oakley's post above: "I think it is a South African assembled car". I think all SA-assembled cars were RHD.

Dave
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Just needs a little prep for the trip

mrsherbie wrote:

The Ovals finished then? Came out nice! 😎 :lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Standard split
14 years ago

mrmagyar wrote:

I used to own the first VW built for the UK, a pre October 1952 RHD Split reg MRT308 here from new (it was built in Wolfsburg RHD and not converted!). Others were assembled in Ireland also RHD:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Standard split
14 years ago
Every angle of this car is pictured except the rear view which is the main feature:?

Excellent car – until you spot the seat belt fittings:x

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
14 years ago
There's a few bob to spend in that engine bay.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

I used to own the first VW built for the UK, a pre October 1952 RHD Split reg MRT308 here from new (it was built in Wolfsburg RHD and not converted!). Others were assembled in Ireland also RHD:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Second, not first :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

There's a few bob to spend in that engine bay.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Cripes! You're right. Looks like an early 30bhp motor to me. There's another £3k+ to add to the list for a complete 25bhp motor.
Standard split
14 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

MRT 308 built February 1952, imported brand new, I had every documentation with the car :wink:

I'd like to see good concrete info on the RHD one that was supposed to have come here before MRT 308 brand new from Wolfsburg :evil:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

X2
Those in the know,know:lol:
First was found in a hedge,and i think,cut up.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

X2
Those in the know,know:lol:
First was found in a hedge,and i think,cut up.

'50 Karmann wrote:

The one in the hedge was number 3, built a few days after MRT and found in Lincolnshire. Number 1 was found in N.Ireland in 1993-ish with a lower chassis and body number than MRT. Definitely RHD Wolfsburg built and not an Irish CKD car.

If we're also including RHD Wolfsburg/Karmann built Cabriolet '52s, I think MRT gets relegated to no.3, but you really have to be in the know to know about that one :wink:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

MRT 308 built February 1952, imported brand new, I had every documentation with the car :wink:

I'd like to see good concrete info on the RHD one that was supposed to have come here before MRT 308 brand new from Wolfsburg :evil:

Standard split wrote:

I have pics of the remains of the earlier car and also chassis and body numbers. Neal Anderson in N.Ireland found it and has all the details.
GKL 7
14 years ago
55Kab
14 years ago

If we're also including RHD Wolfsburg/Karmann built Cabriolet '52s, I think MRT gets relegated to no.3, but you really have to be in the know to know about that one :wink:

Rich Oakley wrote:

And boy, we're having to wait so looooooooooong for photos! :lol: Now, where's that magazine shoot!!!:wink:

55Kab
14 years ago

I have pics of the remains of the earlier car

Rich Oakley wrote:

Can you post them Rich? Are they the same pics that appeared in the IVVM?