Is that the one with the new beam[-x :wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

you will only notice the nice shiney new horn grilles :wink:
Car less.....
Last Triumph
14 years ago

What is the gauge on your dash?Ammeter?

Sunroof53 wrote:

Luckily it's not a guage, it's a magnetic St Christopher, so no holes in the dash! πŸ™‚
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Caledfryn
14 years ago
GKL 7
14 years ago

Caledfryn wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
Last Triumph
14 years ago
Cleaned off nearly 2 decades of dust and crud today. Firstly with a dust pan brush and vac taking it from this....

UserPostedImage

to this...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Lovely patina...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then used the typical proprietry products to cut and clean the paint back to it's natural self...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Only a start, but gives me a cleaner base to work with. I'll tackle the interior next I think?

I'm not shooting to restore, just to remove dirt and grime to releal it;s natural beauty and condition.
I can supply...
PM me for details...
48REME
14 years ago
What a fantastic original patina you have revealed! It looks really nice like this now. The only thing, I wonder if you have to do something to seal the very fragile and thin coat of original paint and primer left over the metal. With the humidity you get in winter, especially in this country, it will permeate through rapidly to the metal and it might start to rust.
Maybe a clear coat of non-gloss varnish could be applied to seal your car against the elements? Maybe others know of another/better way to do achieve this? :wink:
You are very lucky to have a car in that state, it's history on wheels...:d
Standard split
14 years ago

What a fantastic original patina you have revealed! It looks really nice like this now. The only thing, I wonder if you have to do something to seal the very fragile and thin coat of original paint and primer left over the metal. With the humidity you get in winter, especially in this country, it will permeate through rapidly to the metal and it might start to rust.
Maybe a clear coat of non-gloss varnish could be applied to seal your car against the elements? Maybe others know of another/better way to do achieve this? :wink:
You are very lucky to have a car in that state, it's history on wheels...:d

48REME wrote:

Yes, a car like this is a real joy to have, and of course it would be a real shame to have it repainted, erasing all the visual history that 48REME mentions :wink:

It is a real problem to hold a car such as this in its present state without further deterioration which, in our winter climate is difficult. I have had my '49 which is also in its original paint now for 25 years and have found a regular Waxoyl rub all over helps to keep the damp out. But you may not want to take your car around like that as it will soon look dirty. I personally feel that varnishing/laquering over the car is a like adding paint over the top, except that you can see through it. Unlike Waxoyl, you won't be able to wipe it off, and the finish will no longer be original. A DILEMA :shock:

A spare windscreen too :?:  4470139161_a1d0d3f165.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
69project
14 years ago
im having this same dilema,my paint is even more far gone and resembles sand paper!

ive bgt collinite but have not got round to trying it yet,its not meant to be as harsh as anchor wax

even though it should never see rain etc i just worry what to use :?

Car less.....
Last Triumph
14 years ago
Yes, a spare windscreen... plus a treasure trove of NOS parts and OEM parts that came with it. Eachaust, heater boxes, ATE brake and wheel cylinders, gaskets, seals, trims, rubbers plus lods of other stuff - the lot. :wink:

I can supply...
PM me for details...
RockStock
14 years ago

It is a real problem to hold a car such as this in its present state without further deterioration which, in our winter climate is difficult. I have had my '49 which is also in its original paint now for 25 years and have found a regular Waxoyl rub all over helps to keep the damp out

Standard split wrote:

:idea: another good idea would be to keep it indoors all the time. and maybe to never drive it.:idea:

StockRocks
55Kab
14 years ago

What a fantastic original patina you have revealed! It looks really nice like this now.

48REME wrote:

Agreed...but I would really start to think about clear coating it LT. Then it's protected for quite a few more years to come. :wink:

It is a real problem to hold a car such as this in its present state without further deterioration which, in our winter climate is difficult.

Standard split wrote:

No it's not John. You just need to spend some money on proper protection. After all, we all seem to spend a lot of money on the car's themselves and then most seem unwilling to spend a little more on really looking after their pride and joy.

You just need to get something like this:

https://www.carcoon.co.uk/carcoons/index.asp 

55Kab
14 years ago

:idea: another good idea would be to keep it indoors all the time. and maybe to never drive it.:idea:

RockStock wrote:

:lol:

Nice one Chris! :beer:

Last Triumph
14 years ago
It is garaged in a well insulated garage attached to the house with the central heating boiler and pipes in, so as normal garages go, it's in a fairly warm and dry enviroment.

Interestingly, it has been under sheets in a UK barn for the last 17 years and the patina is exactly the same as when it came from Portugal. It was discovered and rescued from a cobbled street and brought back to the UK, then just stored until now, never driven, never registered. I've seen photo's of when it was discovered and it really hasn't changed or decayed at all.

It will only ever get infrequent use and only in the dry. I won't even be washing it with water - just wiping away road film and dust with a suitable wax/polish/spray - it's not like I'm worried about scratching the paint finish, as there's already plenty of dings and dents and scrapes on the wings etc that will need careful dollying. But I'll be leaving them unfinished and not refinnishing them as they just add to the history, charactar and originality of the car. There are more than enogh concourse restored examples out there - for which this is the perfect candidate, but for the time being, I have no intention to destroy it's virginity.

Once I've been through it, got it back on the road and MOT'd etc, I'll clean all the wheel arches off, remove all the dry mud, dust and light surface corrosion with a stiff brush, then choose a decent protection product and just cake it all over the underside, inner panels, bulkheads, inner floorpans etc - something like Dinitrol 3125, or waxoyl etc. I'm not going to underseal it, or put any other 'permanent' coating on, as this will hide the natural condition, but just something to keep the moisture out that can be cleaned off with white spirit etc in the future should plans change.

As for the external patina - I'll find a quality wax/sealent such as autoglym extra gloss protection or similar and just keep aplying it and applying it until it is well and truely drenched / soaked with it.

It's lasted well this far, so as long as it is kept dry, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I can supply...
PM me for details...
Standard split
14 years ago

RockStock wrote:

:evil: Oooof :!: Right in there – and well below the belt 😢 :lol:

… As for the external patina - I'll find a quality wax/sealent such as autoglym extra gloss protection or similar and just keep aplying it and applying it until it is well and truely drenched / soaked with it.

It's lasted well this far, so as long as it is kept dry, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Last Triumph wrote:

… another good idea would be to keep it indoors all the time. and maybe to never drive it :wink:

Fact is you can treasure your all original jewell as much as possible, but once she's out on a public road with the many idiots in their buzz boxes … :evil:

And after an original car has had shunt/collision damage repaired, well, it's no longer original 😞

I do very much admire your approach to keeping the car untouched and avoiding a repaint, cars such as this are getting rarer and rarer, with restored cars becoming more plentiful :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
55Kab
14 years ago

And after an original car has had shunt/collision damage repaired, well, it's no longer original

Standard split wrote:

Did he really just write that? :shock::lol: :lol:

Standard split
14 years ago

Did he really just write that? :shock::lol: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

Talking gibberish – the election's coming and I want to be an MP πŸ˜›

55Kab
14 years ago

Talking gibberish – the election's coming and I want to be an MP :p

Standard split wrote:

H'mmm, yes I think so as I was thinking about a famous black 53 (or is that 50!) Split Beetle!

Think you should stand for the "We follow Rattletrap party"...:wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Talking gibberish – the election's coming and I want to be an MP πŸ˜›

Standard split wrote:

Yes,you have a lot in common with an MP.
Standard split
14 years ago

Yes,you have a lot in common with an MP.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I can see the headlines now:

'More MPs expenses claims exposed, the Rattletrap Party Transport Minister, Standard Split, found claiming expenses for ribbed semaphores, heart tail lights and period radio…':lol:

Back on topic – When you have the UK reg plates made for this so original car, it would be great if you can get the 3D type like the car has at present – they're still available :wink:

55Kab
14 years ago

get the 3D type like the car has at present – they're still available :wink:

Standard split wrote:

Where from John?