Sunroof53
13 years ago

Thanks :thumbup: ,but they are the 60 onwards mount.They are similar and can be altered to look right but i will see if Hooky still does them first.

Mike
69project
13 years ago
cool,i know mike has said hookys does but when i got mine in december he was only doing the slightly later type also mentioned.but my car isnt as specific so i fitted them
Car less.....
54 Gertie
13 years ago

You didn't really think Evil Ben would have fitted the wrong style mounts to my car did you :?: :smile:

55Kab wrote:

I just wasn't sure if there had been some sort of miscommunication and Ben had actually chucked in some Wolf ones, I've seen all the photos (when the thread was up 😞 ) and I am very sure he wouldn't have put a foot wrong with the body. :wink:

William
Sunroof53
13 years ago
I have had an email saying that he can make the 53-60 ones at a weeks notice ,so i will go with him .

Thanks

Mike
Sunroof53
13 years ago
I had some time today so i finished taking off the 60s valence.Quite satisfying taking it off as it was the one thing i wanted to change from the day i got the car.
UserPostedImage

Next in line were the side trays.I have tried several tools to remove spot welds but most are too big so i still use a 5mm drill.I have to remove these for the bumper mount repair and the left hand one needs some small holes repairing .
UserPostedImage

There is also a small flange underneath the tray to deweld but they come off fairly easy.
UserPostedImage

I need to get them blasted before i start any repairs so in the mean time i separated the inner part of doner H valence ready for the wolf one .
UserPostedImage

This bit also needs blasting and repairs so i called it a day. Took a few pics of the sculptured bumper mounts.
Definitly food for thought for anyone checking over a beetle to buy.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Valence art:unsure: :d
UserPostedImage

Last Triumph
13 years ago
Nice work drilling the spot welds - it's the only way to do it properly.

Nice set of Hooky's bumper mounts will see you right.

Are you going to use this as an apportunity to make the rear valance removable?
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Nice work drilling the spot welds - it's the only way to do it properly.

Nice set of Hooky's bumper mounts will see you right.

Are you going to use this as an apportunity to make the rear valance removable?

Last Triumph wrote:

Thanks ,i have ordered the hooky 53-60 bumper mounts so should be here in a week or two.
Yes the removable rear valence will make access to the subaru motor much easier when i go drag racing.

:d Just kidding, i am trying get the car back to at least looking original so no mods here .
Ps Loved your horn video ,I have put a horn on my shopping list for the next show.

Mike
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Some pictures of the Wolf front and rear valence .I dont believe he made the dies for these at all ,i am convinced he dug up the original presses as surely nobody puts this kind of detail in panels anymore.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Mike

WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago
That's Some Detail in The Valance Panel's.
"Mr Stock"
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Mike, when compared to an original 'H' valence, are the areas circled the same on a Wolf one? Or are they a bit fatter and taller?

UserPostedImage

The back end of the car is in quite good condition really, for a UK car. A bit of rot but nothing too serious. Keep up the good work. 😎
William
GKL 7
13 years ago

The back end of the car is in quite good condition really, for a UK car. A bit of rot but nothing too serious.

54 Gertie wrote:

Errr!!! OK Will

I'm sure you'll get there Mike,was it expected or a bit of a shock?
 DSC00279.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Errr!!! OK Will

'50 Karmann wrote:

Dont get me wrong, it's not in fantastic shape or anything, but most UK cars have layers of patches over rust, this should take a lot less repairing than a lot.
William
Sunroof53
13 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Some bits were surprising like the chiseling in the front and the front inner wing ,but i could tell from the photos i got with the car that he must have used filler in the bumper mounts and inner wings because they just did'nt match up.
In some ways its better he did use filler and not cut out the parts .Now i have uncovered most of old repairs its almost like it was never restored .

in the past i have had cars in much worse condition and you do get to the stage where nothing really shocks ,its just another repair and another dent in the bank balance :smile:

Sunroof53
13 years ago
Its difficult to compare with the original valence i have as it has a lot of paint on .Also the shiny new metal looks a bit different when i photogragh it,but you decide.
I'm quite happy with it and theres nothing better out there .
There is another manufactuer of these in the UK but the H bit is quite shocking .

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

13 years ago
Nice Project you have there. Those valances do look good - did you try Autocraft here in the UK? The only reason I ask is because I picked up a rear valance for my '59 and it looks spot-on! I've got to make up the weather strip, are you making up your own or is there someone out there knocking them out?
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Nice Project you have there. Those valances do look good - did you try Autocraft here in the UK? The only reason I ask is because I picked up a rear valance for my '59 and it looks spot-on! I've got to make up the weather strip, are you making up your own or is there someone out there knocking them out?

Low Speed Dubbin wrote:

Should have been wearing your glasses. :wink:

UserPostedImage
William
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Low Speed Dubbin wrote:

Status VW do the retaining channel and quite a few other decent panels .I have to disagree with you about the Autocraft one .The H pressing profile is completley wrong which is a shame as they do some really nice panels for buses.I read on another thread that they were making heater channels so i remain open minded.

It is hard to understand somtimes why a company goes to such great lengths to reproduce a panel(or anthing for that matter) and get the only bit people actually want it for completely wrong .However ,i could'nt make one and i spent some time as an apprentice doing sheetmetal work .

Mike

Oh :smile: Bumper mounts arrived today !
13 years ago
[quote=54 Gertie]Should have been wearing your glasses. :wink:

Ooooooh Blimey!
Not actually had them side by side - I'm off to the loft to find the valance, then to the workshop to check (can't get those sausages out of my head 😞 ).
I'll let you know what you think you already know......... :oops:
54 Gertie
13 years ago

[quote=54 Gertie]Should have been wearing your glasses. :wink:

Ooooooh Blimey!
Not actually had them side by side - I'm off to the loft to find the valance, then to the workshop to check (can't get those sausages out of my head 😞 ).
I'll let you know what you think you already know......... :oops:

Low Speed Dubbin wrote:

They may have improved them since I last saw one on one of their stands over a year ago. :smile:
William
13 years ago
FACOM........yeah that's what i'm thinking..

Horizontal 'h' section's nearly 5mm bigger - gertie, it's a cumberland! :shock:

Removable rear valance - handy just pops in the bin.

Someone on here recommended them............ :evil:

So where do I get the good ones from? or are they only early (no exhaust cut-outs).

facom.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Rear Valance New Home.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.