52deluxebug
12 years ago
Hi,

Anyone interested in looking at the restoration of my 1952 Panel van can see it on my blog:

https://statusvw1952van.blogspot.com/ 

Cheers!
Is frequently found with a glass of wine in one hand and a vintage vw part in the other
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
12 years ago
Hi Barclay,
Welcome to pre67vw (at last!)

The work on the chassis looks great.
Will it be ready for Lavenham?

:wink:

Malc

52deluxebug
12 years ago
Hey Malc,

Cheers - yeah, for sure it will be ready for Lavenham - aiming for Stanford Hall next year (fingers crossed)
Is frequently found with a glass of wine in one hand and a vintage vw part in the other
WayneMcCarthy
12 years ago
Great Work & Looks Like a Real Nice Project ! Looking Forward to Seeing The Finished Product @ Stanford Hall .
"Mr Stock"
Robb
12 years ago
welcome Barclay! :thumbup:

keep the thread going
GKL 7
12 years ago

keep the thread going

Robb wrote:

X2
Just don't paint Status down the side of it when it's finished:wink:
69project
12 years ago
very nice barclay!

Si
Car less.....
64rotbox
12 years ago
Blimey. I still can't get my head around how far people are going to resurrect these things today. When I bought mine 18 years ago, people told me to scrap it because it needed sills and outriggers...
You can call me Al.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

Blimey. I still can't get my head around how far people are going to resurrect these things today. When I bought mine 18 years ago, people told me to scrap it because it needed sills and outriggers...

64rotbox wrote:

My thoughts exactly i remember years ago going to a VW importer to pick some parts up and looking at the stock he had. I had scrapped better than what was on offer and with the clips that were missing from some of the shells it made me wonder just what was running about on the roads. There is nothing wrong with stitching cars together as long as it is done wright but thats the point are thay done wright (I suspect a lot are not):thumbdn: . Nice to see how this one is being done. Keep us all updated and lots of photos please :thumbup:

Andy W
52deluxebug
12 years ago
Cheers guys.

tbh, the chassis was not rotten, but had been bodged in the past.

As I want the van to look like it came from the factory, it was just so much easier to replace this and get it all straight and 100% level.

Would you believe that VW allowed a 5mm tolerance on the chassis welding!!! That's mega differences. I'm not happy with 1mm out!!!

The inner sills gone on today, will put some more photos on the blog in a couple of days.

Barcs.
52deluxebug
12 years ago
We had a trial fit of the body back onto the chassis yesterday.

After lots of holding of breath, it went on perfectly. Really pleased.

Of course, it all has to come off again now LOL

Pics on the blog as usual:

https://statusvw1952van.blogspot.com/ 
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Keep it coming,looking good:thumbup: :thumbup:

Andy W
52deluxebug
12 years ago
Chassis is virtually complete now and there's even paint going on :omg:

UserPostedImage

Pics on the blog as usual:

https://statusvw1952van.blogspot.com 
Robb
12 years ago
great news Barclay! :thumbup:

when does the body get mounted? 😎
six-o-one
12 years ago

Chassis is virtually complete now and there's even paint going on :omg:

[

52deluxebug wrote:

8) :thumbup:

52deluxebug
12 years ago
Some final prep on the chassis this saturday then into primer and flatting back, then hopefully by the end of next week the chassis will go back under the van and be welded back into place.

Then with a lot more structural integrity back in it, we can start the other major body work.....

I'm still pushing for Stanford Hall 2012....
Robb
12 years ago
go barclay! you can do it :thumbup:

gotta have a deadline! 😎
GKL 7
12 years ago
Looks like some seriously good work going on here.
Who's doing this for you Barclay?
52deluxebug
12 years ago
Thanks guys.

tbh George, I have a full time welder / fabricator working for us in the warehouse, so its all being done here. I just keep feeding him mugs of tea laced with caffeine to keep him going. His name is Carl Levine - been in the scene for years, used to be part of Ritchie Kings' mob back in the 80s.

The photos really don't do it justice, the quality of his workmanship is simply stunning. The chassis from VW had 5mm tolerance, I can honestly say that he's done the chassis to ZERO mm tolerance. I can't wait to drive it, a perfectly square and level chassis should make it drive much better than factory!
vintagevw
12 years ago
And I tought I was restoring rusty busses.
Nice work! :smile:
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!