JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
I may end up fitting a 1500 6v motor in my `58 to get me back on the road.
What flywheel and clutch do these have? Will a normal 6v starter work or is there some kind of oddball oney year only starter that goes with them? I´m hoping it´s 6v size and teeth but with a bigger 200mm clutch. Anyone know for sure? The motor is from a 66 or 67 Beetle.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
If its a 6 volt 1500 with its original flywheel etc i think it will go straight in.
If it has no flywheel on it then you may have to look at the specs of the clutch sizes for that year engine.The 1500 van may have come with a bigger clutch also you will have to see what the diamiter of the flywheal is on the engine you take out and make sure the new one is the same size for clearence on the bell housing ( we dont want to start having to grind it out to make it fit )
I think that the all flywheel fittings to the crank are the same just make sure you set up the end flote and make sure the gland bolt is tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the starter iv its a 6 volt flywheel then you should have no problems. Hope this is of some help.

Andy W
JD
  • JD
12 years ago

If its a 6 volt 1500 with its original flywheel etc i think it will go straight in.

AW wrote:

This is what I´m hoping! I could just forsee it having some goofy one year only parts, the way my luck with the car has been lately. Isuppose I should just go and look at it and take a 6v starter to see if it´ll mesh on the starter.

thanks
UserPostedImage
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Keep us posted on the transplant :thumbup:

Andy W
pre67vw
12 years ago

I may end up fitting a 1500 6v motor in my `58 to get me back on the road.

JD wrote:

What's up with your motor then JD?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
12 years ago

What's up with your motor then JD?

pre67vw wrote:

You may remember I pulled the tired original to fit a hot 30hp and had nothing but problems. For months.
I don´t want to risk doing any more serious damage to it, as it isn´t right, and I don´t trust it. I went to jump start it the other day (it´s stood so long, battery is flat) and it immediately puked about two litres of oil out under the car. I´ve had enough! I want my car back!! So I´m looking for the easiest solution, which may be this 1500.
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
12 years ago
Is that the one with the Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit? Where did the oil dump out from?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
12 years ago

Is that the one with the Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit? Where did the oil dump out from?

pre67vw wrote:

Thats the one. Not 100% sure, but most likely the cooler seals.
UserPostedImage
N2C_coxiste
11 years ago
Hello,
I heard about 2 versions, one on buss with good size (270mm), this one for buss with old gearbox with reducers and 1500.
The other one is a 275mm and need place into the gearbox...
Greg.
JD
  • JD
11 years ago
I ended up putting a 180mm flywheel on and a Berg heavy duty clutch. It´s been fine.
UserPostedImage