Old Blue
12 years ago
Saw the film 'Walkabout' on BBC4 a couple of days ago. What a shame that the Beetle was burnt out. What struck me about it was this was a semaphore car with the single lens glass rear lamps making it a 1958-59 as it has the small rectangular rear window. I assume that this car may have been one of those assembled in Australia. I did think that by 1955 only VWs for europe roads had semaphores. Jon's '56 was from the USA and with no semaphores.

As for the film, it would have been more interesting if the kid's father had just shot himself but leaving the car okay. It would have been great to see the girl trying to drive her way through the Outback in the trusty old Beetle.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Saw the film 'Walkabout' on BBC4 a couple of days ago. What a shame that the Beetle was burnt out. What struck me about it was this was a semaphore car with the single lens glass rear lamps making it a 1958-59 as it has the small rectangular rear window. I assume that this car may have been one of those assembled in Australia. I did think that by 1955 only VWs for europe roads had semaphores. Jon's '56 was from the USA and with no semaphores.

As for the film, it would have been more interesting if the kid's father had just shot himself but leaving the car okay. It would have been great to see the girl trying to drive her way through the Outback in the trusty old Beetle.

Old Blue wrote:

Don't even suggest changing anything about the film...it's just about perfect.

Not a '58...34hp at least a '61.
John.
Old Blue
12 years ago
It is a good film and a classic. Shame about the lovely old Beetle though, although at the time it would have been around 12 years old and not worth more than a few hundred pounds I guess.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Rich Oakley
12 years ago
The Beetle is a '59.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
It got early 59 sun visor fitted later door handels and a post 59 petrol guage fitted ?? Were more than two cars used.

Andy w
Cool Splitty
12 years ago
Hi to all. I've often viewed but now have joined.

My Grandaddy worked on the set out in Oz.
The Beetle was altered about for the film. The colour was changed to black to help it to show better against the outback sand. You can see the car has a different colour interior and how easily the black paint burned off revealing the original. The engine was changed for a better later one for driving over the rough as the og one was tired. Its possible that other parts from another bug were used also. The car was a 1959 one.
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
GKL 7
12 years ago
I used to lust after Jenny Agutter:oops:
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

Don't be embarrassed George...we all did. Seeing as she is younger than me...I still do.:smile:

John.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

and me :drool:

Andy W
Old Blue
12 years ago

Not a '58...34hp at least a '61.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Do you seriously judge the age of a Beetle shown in a picture by the engine which can easily be changed (and apparently was), rather than by a fixed item such as semaphores being present:roll:

Old Blue
12 years ago

Hi to all. I've often viewed but now have joined.

My Grandaddy worked on the set out in Oz.:beer:
The Beetle was altered about for the film. The colour was changed to black to help it to show better against the outback sand. You can see the car has a different colour interior and how easily the black paint burned off revealing the original. The engine was changed for a better later one for driving over the rough as the og one was tired. Its possible that other parts from another bug were used also. The car was a 1959 one.

Cool Splitty wrote:

And he must have met Jenny Agutter, lucky man! Any pics to post:smile:

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Do you seriously judge the age of a Beetle shown in a picture by the engine which can easily be changed (and apparently was), rather than by a fixed item such as semaphores being present:roll:

Old Blue wrote:

No I was simply going by the dash...didn't even spot the semaphores...I was distracted by Miss Agutter.:p

John.
Old Blue
12 years ago

No I was simply going by the dash...didn't even spot the semaphores...I was distracted by Miss Agutter.:p

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

I did mention the semaphores and the year 1958-59 in my opening post..

Then there's the cloth headliner.

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

I did mention the semaphores and the year 1958-59 in my opening post..

Then there's the cloth headliner.

Old Blue wrote:

You're mistaking my interest in Miss Agutter for serious interest in a burnt out Beetle.

John.
Cool Splitty
12 years ago

Old Blue wrote:

Didnt you instal semis on your 56 oval that didnt have them :p
Dad says that he got a kiss from Jenny Agutter back in the day when Grandad took him along to the film set:d
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
vintagebug
12 years ago

Dad says that he got a kiss from Jenny Agutter back in the day when Grandad took him along to the film set:d

Cool Splitty wrote:

:omg: :drool:

Can I join the "I used to lust after Jenny Agutter" gang? :thumbup:
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Old Blue
12 years ago

:omg: :drool:

Can I join the "I used to lust after Jenny Agutter" gang? :thumbup:

vintagebug wrote:

Seems that some here still do:oops:

Chris
12 years ago
Maybe we can get Rob to change the design of the T-shirts before they go into print and have a pic of Jenny on the back instead of the cars. :d

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Maybe we can get Rob to change the design of the T-shirts before they go into print and have a pic of Jenny on the back instead of the cars. :d

Chris wrote:

:thumbup:
John.
aus58vw
11 years ago
Australian built beetles got the "big" rear window update for the '58 year model release (like everyone else) but we retained the semaphore indicators until the 1960 y/m release.
That car also has a pre 1960 style steering wheel, so it is certainly a '58 or '59 year model.
However it also has bumper overriders and a fuel gauge which we got in '61 or '62.
But these were easily added items.
Interesting that I have not seen an aussie '58/59 with the yellow-ish interior paint colour shown on the dashboard shots, and if another later car was used for the interior shots why the early steering wheel combined with fuel gauge ??
And early steering wheels do not fit post 1960 cars....
I give up !