Sunroof53
10 years ago
Those inner wings you have are interesting as they have no reinforcement piece under the tank support and the curved pressing above is outward s like a much later panel and yet the luggage area is early style.I noticed a rear quarter in the classifieds that also has a mixture of pressings.it has provision for semaphores but a 60s bumper hanger and body mount.
It's obvious these are are later repair panels for early cars but odd all the same.
65deluxe
10 years ago

Those inner wings you have are interesting as they have no reinforcement piece under the tank support and the curved pressing above is outward s like a much later panel and yet the luggage area is early style.I noticed a rear quarter in the classifieds that also has a mixture of pressings.it has provision for semaphores but a 60s bumper hanger and body mount.
It's obvious these are are later repair panels for early cars but odd all the same.

Originally Posted by: Sunroof53 

Hi , These were supplied by VW as repair panels through the dealerships , Thats where they came from , but you are correct they have a number of bits from different ages - I guess they must have hedged there bets a bit with the replacements once the original ones ran out .

Please check out 65 deluxe on Facebook to see all my work in one place
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
Yep, the front quarters are genuine panels, but 'generic' early style replacements sold in the 1970s by Volkswagen. Completely wrong pressings and shapes for very early cars.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
10 years ago
The front wings on my '47 and '49 both have that excellent more robust and deeper look, with a distinct shape/crease below the headlamp. Having studied various images, they look the same as those seen on KdF Beetles. They are all original on these cars.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Come on guys. Whats the state of play with the '47:!:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pre67vw
9 years ago
I wonder if this '47 ever got finished? Some lovely metalwork going on.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
65deluxe
9 years ago
I was working on the 47 for the owner .

The car has unfortunately been put back into storage for a while .

Thanks Jon - 65 Deluxe Restorations
pre67vw
9 years ago

I was working on the 47 for the owner .

The car has unfortunately been put back into storage for a while .

Thanks Jon - 65 Deluxe Restorations

Originally Posted by: 65deluxe 

Thanks for the update Jon, what are you working on now then?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Fernando Pal
9 years ago
Come on guys this one project don´t can stop.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
65deluxe
9 years ago

Thanks for the update Jon, what are you working on now then?

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

Hi Rob - very busy !!!!

Everything from 53 ambulance - 15 window - 64 kombi - 65 samba - couple of bays
52 beetle - 66 beetle - couple of 1300's and a few 911's

Just enough to keep me out of trouble - except with the wife 😉
Old Blue
9 years ago
There is certainly some skilled restoration work going on on these forums, but they seem to grind to a halt?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!