ste VW agen
10 years ago
Since Hebmuller was a "Death by Fire" story, Heb "survivors" are all the more enigmatic today. To me, those flames in the distant background somehow make all extant Hebs (retored or original) shine more brightly & add to their appeal! People all love a story where a "Phoenix" rises from a Fire!

To this end, I'd like to dedicate this new thread to the Hebmuller "Fire Story," and invite anyone to post (or re - post) as much info & pictures (video links) as possible of that tragic fire in July, 1949 & it's aftermath; especially of Hebs in the aftermath in a burnt state :omg: :cry: :omg:

Secondly, we can discuss / post pics of any Heb that has been involved in any subsequent fire only to rise like a Phoenix from those later ashes? How many are out there still flying bravely & safely above those distant flames? :beer: :beer:

Hebby Roads Ahead!

ste VW e

I Ha VW e a Dream!! (Well ...... err, Many!)
1) '49 Hebmueller (project)
2) '51 Split Sunroof (project)
3) '56 Oval Ste VW agen (project)
4 & 5) '67 Kabriolett x 2 (projects)
6) '18 K Gold Split Pendant around my neck since 1976 (complete & original)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
10 years ago
Stevwe.

About fired up hebs I know only that one was burnt in a fire together with another beetle. The date must be in the 80s or earlier. It is unknown to me where in the States. The pict was taken in Florida. And the car went to Italy.
That is the only other burnt heb I know.

A Belgian Heb was actualy in the factory at the same moment of the big fire in july 1949 but came out unharmed. It was delivered on 23 july. That car is now known as Teufelheb, Devilsheb as like in hell, in flames....Get it :twisted:

I also know that a Swiss Heb was demolished in a fire 2 years ago. It was not known what nr, what owner and where it came from. There is only one pict known of that one. Red with white sides.

Another Swiss heb was scrapped in the 60s that is known as Mrs Baders Heb. She kept the doors until the 90s. The car was scrapped because an engine fire.

I know a vintage pict with an engine bay full of foam....guess that one also had a fire.

I also know that there was a problem with the wire loom. It was bent short Original in the factory. It was so short near the battery where it rubbed against a metal reinforcement.

That's all folks. Raspberry
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
ste VW agen
10 years ago
[quote=zelensis61;57770]Stevwe.

A Belgian Heb was actualy in the factory at the same moment of the big fire in july 1949 but came out unharmed. It was delivered on 23 july. That car is now known as Teufelheb, Devilsheb as like in hell, in flames....Get it :twisted:

Hi Peter!

Thanks for that! I pulled this shot from the Delius Klasing book "Karosserie Hebmuller." Maybe one of these "survivors" is the "Teufelheb" :twisted: ??

I've seen a few more pics of the factory after the fire & with (HEB) bodies lying about :cry: , & even one (from Roger Dean I think) showing a lone Heb crushed in the burnt - out building. I'll keep looking through the ashes here & post whatever I find.

ste VW e

HEB FACTORY FIRE 1949.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ste VW agen
10 years ago
[quote=zelensis61;57770]Stevwe.

I know a vintage pict with an engine bay full of foam....guess that one also had a fire.

Hi Peter ...........

I know about that "Foamy Heb" too. It's because this pic was sent to me by a certain Heb Detective a few years ago. But I forgot his name :rofl:

So here's that pic again. Excuse me but I need to run out to the garage & check my wires!! :omg:

ste VW e
 bURNT hEBMULLER UNDATED FOTO.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
Nice shot of the rear boot lens.

Andy W