RoRoVw
10 years ago
I think Barclay must be letting a friend sell the car on his behalf.
Rob.
Kids taxi
10 years ago
If it sells fair enough to the seller, But the days of the average Joe owning a nice classic are rapidly declining...... unfortunately

KT
Im too Old for This
Rattletrap
10 years ago

If it sells fair enough to the seller, But the days of the average Joe owning a nice classic are rapidly declining...... unfortunately

KT

Originally Posted by: Kids taxi 

With the early Beetles its all about buying to invest and admire. Its no longer about having a vintage car for a Sunday drive out.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
10 years ago

With the early Beetles its all about buying to invest and admire. Its no longer about having a vintage car for a Sunday drive out.

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Its sad that its got to this.

Andy W
Rich Oakley
10 years ago

John, you never use your early cars!! You've owned them for many years. The '47 Beetle, the '49 Dlx, the '50 and '52 model splits, not to mention your Ovals!! When was the last time you drove any of them on the road? By your own admission, you've just classified yourself as an 'investor', inadvertently or not.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Kids taxi
10 years ago

I buy my cars to drive them, Not to polish them , If that's your thing,fair enough . But they were built to be driven , that's where the fun is :thumbup:

Im too Old for This
Rattletrap
10 years ago

John, you never use your early cars!! You've owned them for many years. The '47 Beetle, the '49 Dlx, the '50 and '52 model splits, not to mention your Ovals!! When was the last time you drove any of them on the road? By your own admission, you've just classified yourself as an 'investor', inadvertently or not.

Originally Posted by: Rich Oakley 

You can only drive one vehicle at a time Rich. This year has been the year for running my Routemaster bus. Next year I'm hoping it to be Rattletrap's turn. Sadly, high values of such desireable vehicles has turned them into large financial outlays. Its not just early Beetles that have shot up in value. In the last 5 years the values of Routemasters have increased 3 fold, early streamline Tatras have gone bonkers in price. You are forced to consider such vehicles as investments with so much tied up in them. But don't blame me, blame the guy who's selling a £40k 1952 Split on Ebay.

And yes, I do enjoy all my vehicles by merely admiring them for the art and design icons that they are.

One way to avoid the silly prices and the subsequent investment mentality is to collect Morris Minors, Cortinas, Maxis etc. These vehicles still live in the world of affordable motoring.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
I bought this two weeks ago..
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

I buy my cars to drive them, Not to polish them , If that's your thing,fair enough . But they were built to be driven , that's where the fun is :thumbup:

Cars such as Beetles were built to be driven, and end-up scrapped by 12 years, so this is a nonsense arguement. Stamps were made to be stuck on a letter and posted. But tell a rare stamp collector that.

Living in the London area is a nightmare with crowded roads. I enjoy driving my bus, but have to continually worry about it being knocked or dented.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Well there you are! I had one once:oops:

But a great way of cheap classic motoring, with no worry of theft or it getting damaged.
Kids taxi
10 years ago

Cars such as Beetles were built to be driven, and end-up scrapped by 12 years, so this is a nonsense arguement.

Your not going to start on about Rattletrap are you.... Because Triggers broom is the same...... :rofl:

I have cars that Ive driven in snow and all and every weather, Its how you look after them that matters and even now after over 12 years One of my classic cars still passes its yearly Mot :thumbup:
Im too Old for This
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Your not going to start on about Rattletrap are you.... Because Triggers broom is the same...... :rofl:

I have cars that Ive driven in snow and all and every weather, Its how you look after them that matters and even now after over 12 years One of my classic cars still passes its yearly Mot :thumbup:

No, just to mention that he is going on the road next year, and anyway he does not need an MOT 'cause he's a very old. He's also in possession of around 50% original body panels, so not a Trigger's broom.

My bus is a 1961 vehicle so requires a MOT, which it also passed - and its a lot tougher than that for a private car.:p
ozymandias
10 years ago
Hi Everyone

I am as bemused as everyone else at the price Barclay is asking for this car. I saw him, and the car, in May, as he was clearing Status VW (sadly), following the sale to JustKampers, and he told me was going to ask £40k, quite a markup on the price I sold it to him for in April 1999 (Brian Screaton never owned this one, Richard, although we did jointly own several others in the early 1990s).

And yes, it is a very youthful me in that video, which I knew nothing about until a contact in Canada told me he'd seen me on television (many years ago now). I'd only brought the car in a couple of days previously (August 1991), having flown to Germany with about four grand in German marks and driven it back. Those were the days, when anywhere 'abroad' seemed like an adventure ...

I've only just got back into old VWs, having just retired, after a long absence - and how it's changed. Here's a picture of the split I bought earlier this year, now just back on the road after a re-commission. Will probably be at Stanford Hall next year.

Enough rambling, creeping senility.  IMG_1737.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1739A.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1741A.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1743A.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1744B.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1747A.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Lost64
10 years ago
Hi Richard,

Great to see you back on the scene after your time away, and what a lovely car you've returned with! I wish you all the best with it. What's the story behind this one?

I was away from it for a while too, pursuing other interests,which sadly have come to a premature end. However, it's good to be back amongst old VW's, and to see that the hobby, especially the vintage VW movement, is thriving thanks to web forums such as 'pre67VW'.

Hopefully we'll meet up sometime in the future.

Best wishes to Celia and yourself.

Gavin.
beefykeefy
10 years ago

UserPostedImage

Some quite interesting history on those, and how the original design was watered down, and what could have been for the British car industry...

My brother had one of those, and I remember it being a barrel of laughs to drive round in - when the damn thing actually worked 😛
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Love the car Richard:!: Standard Model and such a nice colour. Glad you're back on the scene. :beer:

Worried about senility; well don't - I treat Rattletrap as though he's a friend... that's when you should worry!

John.
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Wish it was mine :d

Originally Posted by: AW 

It's now down to £34,950 - if you wait long enough it'll be at a price you can afford.:wink:
GKL 7
10 years ago

£34,950

£5k off,the buyer will be able to afford some over-riders now.:sleep:

Old Blue
10 years ago

It's a very nice car. Richard Cotton found it in Sweden many moons ago and passed it on to Brian Screaton. Brian sold it to Barclay, must be about ten years ago now? Apart from the engine being a later one, it's a pretty nice original car. I've never seen a 50-52 split ever sell for that sort of money before, so we'll see how the sale goes! :)

I have a picture of it in Dad's collection which must have been taken in the UK several years ago.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
10 years ago
Not there anymore. Was it pulled or sold I wonder?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!