AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
10 years ago
When did VW start fitting front anti roll ? sway bars to the front of the Type 1 ?

Andy W
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Think itsAugust 1955 Andy.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
Cheers for that Rattletrap. Its just that I picked up an late LHD 53 beam and has one fitted and look as its been there a long time. Also the steering box has an alloy top cover something I have not seen before and its on two bolt wheel cylinders.

Andy W
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Cheers for that Rattletrap. Its just that I picked up an late LHD 53 beam and has one fitted and look as its been there a long time. Also the steering box has an alloy top cover something I have not seen before and its on two bolt wheel cylinders.

Andy W

Originally Posted by: AW 

Youre welcome Andy. Though I cant seem to find a date shownon the web to confirm my answer, though certainly 1953 is way too early, so you are right to remove it from the beam.

Going through all my stuff at home, USA JohnMuir's manual lists 1959 as the first year for anti-sway bars, which surprises me.:smile:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
AW
  • AW
10 years ago
I will try it with it on when I get the car on the road and see what its like. Not that the car is original. Its a real bitza but hay I like it.

Andy W
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago

Going through all my stuff at home, USA JohnMuir's manual lists 1959 as the first year for anti-sway bars, which surprises me.:smile:

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

I think that´s about right. Wasn´t the steering damper added at the same time?:?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
10 years ago

I think that´s about right. Wasn´t the steering damper added at the same time?:?

Originally Posted by: JD 

I'd say thats right.
Old Blue
10 years ago
Our '56 oval had one fitted. Its long gone now, Jon saw to that.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!