usariemen
9 years ago
Hi
This is a early july 1949 Body.
Still the small gas tank.
UserPostedImage

It has the pressing and threats for the later style fusebox.
Like on these pics.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

But also two threats as for the earlier style fusebox.
Like on these pics
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

They are a bit far rear but look as for a fusebox.
UserPostedImage

So now the question. What style was mounted in the car once?
This is not far from the change to the bigger tank.
Can it be that VW already used the sidepanels with the fusebox pressing
but kept the box on the flat beside the small tank?
Master of my domaine.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
nicolass
9 years ago
Hi
Your inner fender is not correct .
You see it is replaced the welding is not as it was from the factory
If you have a small fueltank the fuseebox is located near the tank
Mid 1949 the change with the big tank made it to the place on the inner fenderyou haveon your car
usariemen
9 years ago
You think it is a new side panel because it is gas welded.
It is not a new side panel. The whole frontclip was still in first paint and nothing was changed.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The gas welds where just made to fix some popped up spot welds after the front once got a little punch on its nose.

I got this info in between:
UserPostedImage

So the new location for the fusebox was stock by then.
After the 6. of may the box was new located along with the small tank still for a while.
Any idea what was screwed onto the flat area?
Or shall I just close them two holes?
UserPostedImage

Master of my domaine.
nicolass
9 years ago
Ok so they change the fuseebox before they change the fueltank
But the holes are not on the correct place for the fuseebox see picture
Maybe the holes where drill later in  2441.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
zelensis61
9 years ago
Carsten, on Fb, Richard Hausmann is wrinting this:
"My car is build July 30th, 1949, It is the same on mine with the number 1-1137xx and original inner fenders and all lids: small gas tank, but all the other things like grooved bumpers, no license plate embossing, card board glove boxes and new front hood locking etc. It seems, that they changed the gas tank the last."

So it is ok with the pressing. You can close the 2 holes next to the fuel tank ;-)
I checked picts on early Hebs. Heb 166 that war restored by Pascal, does have the small tank and the same pressing as Carsten's front clip, later style.
Heb 136, heb 100 does have the pressing also, even hebmuller 46 and heb 006 does have the pressings...

So Carsten, it is ok to have the pressing 😉

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
usariemen
9 years ago
Yes Peter, wasn´t that clear after this info?
UserPostedImage

Fusebox changed early May, tank stayed small at car 1-0102xxx

Tank changed at mid August at car 1-0116xxx

This is a 1-0111xxx car from July.
So all good the way it is.

I just wondered now if there is any sense making reason for these holes to keep them.
Is there anything that should be bolted on there?
I guess no, so I´ll close them.
Master of my domaine.
Rod_vw
9 years ago
The holes that you have in the flat panel beside the fuel tank do not look to have threaded inserts and also look to be placed through the support bracket below.
I don't believe that Volkswagen would have placed holes here and certainly not without then being fitted with threaded inserts. They are further apart and further back than those for the earlier fuse box.

That's my opinion anyway.

Rod
usariemen
9 years ago

The holes that you have in the flat panel beside the fuel tank do not look to have threaded inserts and also look to be placed through the support bracket below.
I don't believe that Volkswagen would have placed holes here and certainly not without then being fitted with threaded inserts. They are further apart and further back than those for the earlier fuse box.

That's my opinion anyway.

Rod

Originally Posted by: Rod_vw 

Yes, fellow.
But that was not the question anymore.
The holes are not factory made. That was already cleared up.
Yes, they are placed through the bracket below. That was meant when I said there is a double sheet metal. They are NOT for the fusebox. That is clear by now.
I just still wondered what they where made for.
I said they have tapped threats. And they really have. No threat inserts but someone drilled through the two metal layers and cut threats for machine screws.
Quite accurate and well crafted. I just would had liked to find out what for.

On top of that I just found that pic of a just little earlier car with the two threat inserts for the fusebox in front of two extra holes nearly at the same place as mine.
What the heck did they fix there?
UserPostedImage
Master of my domaine.
Rod_vw
9 years ago
Carsten I guess you will need a crystal ball or a ouija board to discover what some previous owner made them for.

Good luck with the restoration.

Rod
usariemen
9 years ago

Carsten I guess you will need a crystal ball or a ouija board to discover what some previous owner made them for.

Good luck with the restoration.

Rod

Originally Posted by: Rod_vw 

Thank you. I´ll need luck. I all the time have to do things I have never done before.

Master of my domaine.
Sambaguy
9 years ago
Hi Carsten.

If the car was equipped with a Telefunken radio the vibrator should have been mounted in that location beside the tank.

So maybe the two holes were for the front brackets of the vibrator. Do you have any holes in the rear that could fit for the rear brackets?