14 years ago
the Kieft en Klok Rometsch in action...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

the Kieft en Klok Rometsch in action...

pre67vw wrote:

And you banned me[-x at least mine looked pretty.
pbaptist
14 years ago
I tried to get an overview of the current remaining Rometsch Lawrences.

If you have any information about other rometsches or information about the bodynumber or current owner or locations of rometsches shown here, please let me know (private message). Please NO owner names here publicly on the forum.

For the Lawrence there no more than 85 build!. It seems that there are 3 different body styles.

· Round taillights with the curve on the body
· Rectangular taillight with or without the curved in the body
· Different grill on front

There is no definitive bodynumber when these changes happened. At least all the round taillight cars are curved style. For the rest it looks like the customer could specify if he wanted a curved or a smooth style body.

I found 26 different lawrences that survived.

Here are the pictures of the cars I have find. If anybody has info on other cars, please let me know

The 1st style: (round taillights with the curve in the body)

1: Body 515, 1957 Black Coupe located in Germany. This is the oldest Rometsch lawrence known.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

2: Body 526, 1958 RHD located in the UK. Car was found in South Africa and is probably the only factory build right hand drive in the world.

3: Body 534, 1958, Found in swiss in 2009.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

4: Body 537, White-Black convertible in the US. (this is not old Phil Leadley car)
UserPostedImage

5: Body 539, 1958 Convertible located in the Netherlands

6: Body 542, 1958 Convertible form Grundmann

7: Body ???, 1958 Black Convertible located in Germany. (Car was found orange)
UserPostedImage]UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

8: Body ???, 1958 Blue Coupe located in Italy

9: Body ???, 1958 White-Black Convertible owned by Phil Leadley, sold in 94 to Mac Jones, current location unknown.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

10: Body ???, 1958 Convertible in desperate need of restoration, Pictures were taken half 80th in Vermont, but car is still alive in located in the US.

11: Body ???, 1958 Coupe for sale in Alpine, CA in 1983 for $1000. Car was saved and sold again in the late 90th for $5000. Around 2003 the car came in hands of Lenny Copp, Current location unknown,
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

12: Body ???, 1958 Convertible last know location was Austria
UserPostedImage

The second style: rectangular taillight with or without the curved in the body

13: Body 555, 1958 Ratlook race rometsch owned by Kieft en Klok, the Netherlands

14: Body 558, 1958 Convertible with damage located in the Netherland. On the damaged pictures it looks like it had round taillight?? The car is now being restored and the metal frame is almost done. The owner also collected the spare yellow doors.

15: Body 559, Restored by Lenny Copp, now with Mr Komori Flat4. This car was the first with the smooth style, although same later cars had the curve again. In the steel frame the curve was still there, but the aluminium bodypanels were smooth.

16: Body 563, Sold by Lenny Copp in 2006, now being restored in Germany

17: Body 564, 1959 Blue coupe owned by Kieft en klok

18: Body 566, 1959 Convertible restored by Randy (oldbug) and sold to VW autostadt in Wolfsburg.

19: Body 567, 1959 Black-white in the US.
UserPostedImage

20: Body 570, 1959 Black coupe in the US. Was sold by Jerry Coffen in 1987

21: Body 571, 1959 Red-white Coupe located in the Volkswagen Auto Museum in Wolfsburg. Car was originall black and red and was abondoned as a single body by Dennis L at a shop in Costa Mesa in the 80th. Phil Leadley bought the body cheap and used it as a parts donor till approx. 2002, then sold to Volkswagen Auto Museum in Wolfsburg who restored it to the red-white coupe.

22: Body ???, 1959 Red-white coupe located in Germany.

23: Body ???. 1959 coupe sold by Randy in 2006, was also for sale at the classics in 2003. Now in florida

24: Body ???, 1960 coupe, located in Germany
UserPostedImage

25: Body ???, 1960 convertible, located in US .

Third syle: Different grill in front

26: Body 585, 1961 Coupe, The red one in the grundmann museum and last Rometsch build
UserPostedImage

All pictures are taken form the internet. (mostly here from thesamba). If somebody has problems with a picture were they has copyright, please let me know and I will directly remove it.

Regards
Patrick
overrestored
14 years ago
Excellent work!

18 and 19... I will have the body numbers on these in a few days. I also have some more photos of these to send soon.

protect me from what I want
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
There was a untouched rough convertible in the States that was lowered with some sort of alloy wheels some years ago... Some quite known owner, I do not remember the name. Quite a few pics on the Net I remember. Have you got it on the list?
phil leadley
14 years ago
The car in question may have been 1 of two belonging to dennis linkletter, grandson of american tv personality Art Linkletter (unconfirmed). He told me he was doing a cal look lawrence, but I never saw it. I did end up with the red/black coupe which he abandoned at a shop in Costa Mesa, Ca. Dennis was not
very co-operative regarding his cars, last I heard he was working in Italy as a male model.
pbaptist
14 years ago

There was a untouched rough convertible in the States that was lowered with some sort of alloy wheels some years ago... Some quite known owner, I do not remember the name. Quite a few pics on the Net I remember. Have you got it on the list?

SplitPersonality wrote:

The only rought convertible lowered with some alloy wheels is this one:
UserPostedImage

Patrick
phil leadley
14 years ago
Patrick, this the story of one that got away. Mid 80's, we followed a tip on a Rometsch located at a concrete company in Westminster, Ca. Sure enough
inside a tin storage shed was an original 61 coupe. Medium green metallic in color with the delicate trim on the nose of the car. I remember the car as being original and complete. It was surrounded by other cars, but we still got a couple of photos anyway. When we processed the film, our pics didn't turn out, big mistake. The car was gone when we returned, and the person who claimed to be the owner refused to talk about it, or what happened to it.

C'est la vie
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
Found it.... This is the one I was talking about. It is most likely one of the ones already pictured above....but which? I guess the owner was/is a Sambaist named "vdubjim" or something...

https://public.fotki.com/vdubjim/cars_for_sale/sold_stuff/1958_rometsch/ 

UserPostedImage
pbaptist
14 years ago

Found it.... This is the one I was talking about. It is most likely one of the ones already pictured above....but which? I guess the owner was/is a Sambaist named "vdubjim" or something...

https://public.fotki.com/vdubjim/cars_for_sale/sold_stuff/1958_rometsch/ 

UserPostedImage

SplitPersonality wrote:

That one is Nr 10 in my list. It is now owned by the guy who also owns car body nr 558. I'am going to see both cars next week

Patrick
pbaptist
14 years ago
Just did a update of the list.

Added pictures of car nr 534, car nr 539, car nr 558 and renummered everything as two cars were listed twice and with newly found body numbers the sequence change as well

Tomorrow I will visit the VW museum, Autostadt and the Grundmann museum, so more news in the weekend

Patrick
pbaptist
13 years ago
It has been a year since my last post. Let's have an update of what happened in the last year.

The registry is now on 30 cars. From 28 cars I have pictures and 2 other are known to exist, but unfortunately no pictures yet.

The cars that changed owner in the last year:
1) I bought car nr 561. Will start the resto next year.
2) Car 517 was tracked in the US by Eric and was bought by Rene van Hulzen from Germany. Rene started the resto immediately,see: https://www.vw-karmann-ghia.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3293 
3) Car nr 515 was sold an bought by Christian Grundmann together with Rene van Hulzen. Christian kept the body and most of the bodyparts went to Rene to use on his car.
4) Car nr 555 (the ratlook rometsch) was part of a trade between Kieft and klok and another VW repair shop here in the Netherlands. Not much later the car was traded again and is now being restored. The car will not go back to original, it will stay a racer.

Here is a new overview of all the existing Rometsch Lawrence cars

Presentation rometsch Lawrence cars.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
oval56
13 years ago
had a nice score today, OG prospect ot the lawrence vert....

:lol: if someone is interested , let it me know...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
ovals4ever
13 years ago
If it had no writing on the cover I would be interested...
oval56
13 years ago

If it had no writing on the cover I would be interested...

ovals4ever wrote:

the writing on the cover is old, it is the price....

but if there are enough out there of these, you have the choice :lol: :wink:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
ovals4ever
13 years ago
It's not like this one is impossible to find. :wink: If I'm not mistaken, there is actually one on eBay right now. I already have several Rometsch brochures. With a little bit of patience, this one will also be added to my collection :d

pbaptist
13 years ago
I am also following E-bay, but haven't seen this one recently.

there is this one:
https://cgi.ebay.nl/1961-Rometsch-VW-Coupe-Cabriolet-Prospekt-catalog-/250724679470 
UserPostedImage

And , I have a spare of the brochure shown at the top. (but I know you already have this one, as I used your picture)
UserPostedImage

But, I don't know the other brochure. Can you scan it for me????

Regards
Patrick
pbaptist
13 years ago
And while we are adding Rometsch brochures now, I also have this news bulletin in my collection.

This is nr 7: Does have anybody other Globe news bullitins???

UserPostedImage
ovals4ever
13 years ago
The same seller also has this one: Rometsch Brochure . I thought it was the one oval56 was selling but I was wrong. The prices of these are too high.
overrestored
13 years ago

The same seller also has this one: Rometsch Brochure . I thought it was the one oval56 was selling but I was wrong. The prices of these are too high.

ovals4ever wrote:

This auction could be for a reproduction catalog. I'm not sure. In order to verify... you need to see the back cover... on the bottom of the repro it will say "VVWCA-T. Shuler-1988"

The repro still has value... just not the same as an original.

The original version of this 1952 brochure looks just the same... but features a 1952 split windshield Beeskow in the photos. The version in this ebay auction is called a 1952 catalog... but features a curved windshield car.

I have an original 1952 version of this catalog... featuring photos of a split window car... and I also have one that looks just like the image in this auction... printed by Terry Shuler in 1988. I don't have an original curved window catalog in this size... so I can't speak from total authority on this auction without seeing the back cover of the catalog for sale.

protect me from what I want