Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

ascort Offline
#1 Posted : 08 May 2012 13:26:19(UTC)
ascort

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
A few weeks back I was invited to Sydney to meet the Craney family as I have been in regular communication with them in recent years due to my research, restoration work and also my model making attempt. ThumpUp

Mirek Craney designed the Ascort and built the prototype in 1958 and production was started in 1959. Unfortunately Mirek died in 1982.

I had a wonderful time meeting the family and was shown around the sights of Sydney (I had not spent any time there since visiting during my school days) and also visiting a few sites relevant to the Ascort. ThumpUp

I thought that it would be interesting to work out where some of the original photos were taken. Here are some comparisons of the Sydney 1959 view and recent photos and recent Google street view shots. It is interesting too see the changes to the sky line and also how much greener Sydney is now. Smile

At the North abutment of the Harbour Bridge

Under the Harbour Bridge North abutment

Under the bridge near Lunar Park looking at the city sky line.

Near the bridge looking at the Opera House site.

A lane near the southern abutment

Mirek with the prototype in Point Piper

Mrs Craney with the prototype in Point Piper. (yes it is the same spot. Actually this is the same location as the set above. The Ascort had not moved. The photos are just taken in opposite directions with Mirek in one photo and Mrs Craney in the second.

Mrs Craney in what is now my car, outside the house and shed where some of the prototype work was carried out.

The photo comparison is probably not of any great significance, but I found it fun and interesting.

Edited by user 08 May 2012 20:43:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
Sponsor

(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
pre67vw Offline
#2 Posted : 08 May 2012 15:04:02(UTC)
pre67vw

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 64 post(s)
ascort wrote:

The photo comparison is probably not of any great significance, but I found it fun and interesting.

Yeah it is! Next thing to do is to take your Ascort to those spots and recreate the photos ThumpUp
Rob Amos

Happiness is a stock VW
ascort Offline
#3 Posted : 08 May 2012 20:40:45(UTC)
ascort

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
pre67vw wrote:
Yeah it is! Next thing to do is to take your Ascort to those spots and recreate the photos ThumpUp

The same thought has crossed my mind as it would be special to have photos taken at the same location as originals.

I would really love to have my blue Ascort at the same loaction as the bottom photos with Mrs Craney in the car, as in the original photo. This is where the Craney's were living at the time. ThumpUp

The biggest problem is the restoration work is dragging on slowly. Another issue is that I have spent many of my years working in small towns in remote areas and am just not at home in city traffic. Where I live I can drive to work in under 5 minutes and often not pass another car. The thought of taking a restored car into Sydney traffic is a bit daunting. Crying
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.