VW Stan
  • VW Stan
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
There have been numerous threads, on the various age related forums discussing numbers of UK RHD (Model 112) Standards which have survived.

It would be nice to start a register of these cars so owners can compare details and learn from each other about these rare models.

These are some of the UK Standards I've come across on pre67vw.

I'm sure there are probably some more still around so please send me as much info, chassis number, M codes etc and I'll update the list.

Malc :d

Oval 53-57
1953 std - KFF 194 - Andy ? Now broken for parts :cry:
1953 std - LOW 514 - Julian Robinson
1954 std - OXP 499 - ??
1954 std - ETS 457 - ?? (Sold in Scotland '09) where is it now?
1955 std - UAF 610 - ?? last photographed at VW Action '87, where is it now?
1956 std - VYJ 277 - Adam ?
1956 std - TYH 68 - John Miller

Small Window 58-64
1958 std - 726 USX (originally 452 BAR) - Malcolm Hawkins
1960 std - 8778 UB - Robert Meekings

(I also know of two other ex-small window rhd standards
which no longer count as one is roof chopped with a split dash
and the other is being turned into a drag car!)

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
48REME
15 years ago
Malcolm, what about that 1960 which came up for sale on the Volkszone website a few months ago, do you remember?
I think it was in Liverpool/Wirrall area...
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago

Malcolm, what about that 1960 which came up for sale on the Volkszone website a few months ago, do you remember?
I think it was in Liverpool/Wirrall area...

48REME wrote:

That's the one which is becoming a drag car! :shock:
I just missed out on buying the bonnet for mine :cry:

RoRoVw
15 years ago
Details sent by PM.:p
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago

Details sent by PM.:p

RoRoVw wrote:

Cheers Rob!

Judson53
15 years ago
pm sent with my details to :lol:
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago
Another interesting RHD '53 Standard!
Hoping to get some more details...
8)

53std-1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53std-2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53std-3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53std-7.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53std-8.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53std-9.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  53std-93.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

RoRoVw
15 years ago
Wow. That looks fantastic. Where is it? Not in the UK by the look of other vehicles in the background.
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago

Wow. That looks fantastic. Where is it? Not in the UK by the look of other vehicles in the background.

RoRoVw wrote:

Yep, it does look very nice.

It's at West Coast Classic Restoration and it's for sale at $37,000.500 :d

mrsherbie
15 years ago

It's at West Coast Classic Restoration and it's for sale at $37,000.500 :d

VW Stan wrote:

Ouch! thats a staggering amount of £s right now, and for not even so much as a smell of a sunroof either! and its only an oval too! :lol:

I would still love to see a group of them together. Maybe if you bend nice Keith Viponds ear, he will agree to having a standard group display in front of the house at Stanford this year? the deluxes one side, standards the other? Would look great :d BUT you would have to include the lefties and the few post57's for it to work?
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago

I would still love to see a group of them together.

mrsherbie wrote:

You should have come to Lavenham then! :wink:  96.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  106.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  151.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

RoRoVw
15 years ago

I would still love to see a group of them together. Maybe if you bend nice Keith Viponds ear, he will agree to having a standard group display in front of the house at Stanford this year? the deluxes one side, standards the other? Would look great :d BUT you would have to include the lefties and the few post57's for it to work?

mrsherbie wrote:

Well surprisingly a Standard display has already been discussed for the Stanford Hall meeting. If enough standards (both lhd & rhd together) are entered then it may be possible for them all to line up together as part of the Historic Display. The only problem is that the Stanford Hall organisers won't allow any post '57 cars in the 'Historic Display'. Post '57/pre '67 beetles are only allowed if they are in the Historic VW Club display alongside the pre '57 display. Complicated isn't it?

Keith Vipond is working on the Standard display idea and since there's likely to be only a few post '57 standards there hopefully they can be slotted in with the pre '57s.
If everyone will make it clear on their Display entry forms if their car is a Standard model then when Keith receives them he will be able to decide if there are enough to justify reserving an area for them.
VW Stan
  • VW Stan
15 years ago
I'd better patch up my 58 then!
:shock:

phoenix3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

RoRoVw
15 years ago
Yes. Get patching!
48REME
15 years ago

Keith Vipond is working on the Standard display idea and since there's likely to be only a few post '57 standards there hopefully they can be slotted in with the pre '57s.
If everyone will make it clear on their Display entry forms if their car is a Standard model then when Keith receives them he will be able to decide if there are enough to justify reserving an area for them.

RoRoVw wrote:

Keith is also sad that the rules are the rules, I've had this discussion with him before but it's not up to him. The concourse guy just won't have any of it. This is why I didn't bother coming last year and probably won't this year either unless the weather is really stunning and the dognatic rules are relaxed a bit. :wink:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I'd better patch up my 58 then!
:shock:

VW Stan wrote:

That is such a cool picture! :d and Hey, I was sick ( and very grumpy because of it O would tell you! :lol: ) the Lavenham weekend, honest!

I would'nt bother so long as it drives enough to drive around the site, just A frame it up as is if you've got a van to use. Note: our slackers solution, and I enjoyed doing it like this last time so thats what I am doing again :lol: )

Well I dont know anything at all about concours as we are not very good with shiny paint! :lol: I am planning to take the oval up but not 100% certain what we are doing yet so not registered it yet but need to decide soon.
Last year I thought the numbers in front of the house were spartan in places, while some superb 60's cars were parked out of the limelight while there seemed to be plenty of room in the circle for more cars to me, but then possibly many booked did not show. Nevertheless there was a lot of open space in that paddock that could have been filled even by stock pre64 small window cars rather than all the way up to 67 If space is the issue.
Every year more and more stock pre57's are being lowered, and ironically the resto'ers do have a penchant for uk rhd cars, so stock height display numbers are inevitably going to drop slightly every year if the rules stay rigid.
You have to move a little with the times. I think if Keith is yet again putting his own time and effort into organising a display that obviously directly benefits the show and the L&W club behind it, then they should at least have the courtesy to rely 100% on his unquestionable judgement to pull something special out of the bag for once.

In the same way that David Eccles organised the special Westie display that time which was great I thought.

That does'nt sound like a rant does it? :? :oops: :lol:

RoRoVw
15 years ago
Last year Keith managed to get agreement to have a Club display within the grassed area in front of the House, alongside the traditional pre August'57 Display. There was certainly still more space available for both pre and post August '57 cars, but all that had entered (apart from those that pre-entered and didn't turn up) were parked up there. So if plenty enter this year there will be ample room for them all.

I know it's a long running saga about why it's still only the splits and ovals that are allowed to form the Historic Display and this does seem especially strange when all split screen vans from 1950 to 1967 are allowed to display together - why are they not restricted to 1950 to 1957?

Hopefully a very good turnout of all pre August '67 beetles this year will strengthen the argument for the Historic Display being opened to all in future years.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Hopefully a very good turnout of all pre August '67 beetles this year will strengthen the argument for the Historic Display being opened to all in future years.

RoRoVw wrote:

Its right that there must be a cut off date, and you can't please everyone, and I fully understand the need for ovals & splits taking centre stage, but I still think we are missing out so many very similar cars, all the 58/59/60 so many one year only colour cars for example. This is a very interesting beetle period that is simply excluded essentially over 1 window! :lol:

The trouble is, and I have done this myself, if you have a decent stock 60s car but dont want to get involved in concours, you leave it in the carpark as there is nowhere else display-wise to park it. ie. club parking like the ssvc have for example.
If the historic club is for members and cars up to 67, then many members are surely being excluded from displaying their car at this event. Cars and owners that quite frankly the stock scene just cannot do without.

If it is not a space issue which it clearly was'nt last year, then I just dont get it.

Stanford Hall show has been going for 33yrs! :shock: Surely even they realise that 'uninteresting 60's' beetles have got a little bit older in that time! But I guess there is nothing like having your boots stuck firmly in the mud :lol:
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Another interesting RHD '53 Standard!
Hoping to get some more details...
8)

VW Stan wrote:

UserPostedImage

The generator nut is painted and the coil strap isn't. Samba engine thread  -- that's a pretty correct engine bay, no?

Ooooh, if I win the lottery tonight..... 😉
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
55Kab
14 years ago
Is this a new one Malc? I shot it at Action 1987.

UserPostedImage

DVLA says it's a 1955 and is taxed until August this year.