Post a reply
AW 12 years ago
Is this a Colani in the bottom right of the photo ??????????????????

Andy W  i096178.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

I found this in an old mag hope it is of intrest.

Andy W

AW wrote:

Hi Andy

Yes I have the August 1984 Thoroughbred and Classic Cars magazine that you have shown a section of.

The article is incorrect in what is said at the end, where it is stated that Mirek Craney never owned an Ascort.

Mirek first owned Ascort registered BZA-011, which I believe was possibly the second car built after the prototype. This car was owned for a number of years and then replaced with car DDH-989. This car was owned for about 15 years. After it was sold it was crashed, repaired and painted yellow. This car was bought back by the family and owned by the son and daughter for a while following Mirek's death. (This is mentioned on the next page of the article that you partly copied). It is now the yellow car owned in South Australia by an enthusiast who also owns the black D&S shown in other postings.

The daughter of Mirik and Anna Craney recently paid me a visit to say hello and look at my car. She was telling me that the Ascort was the family's only car throughout her childhood, up until the time when a 1500 (wagon?) was purchased when they outgrew the limited room in the Ascort.

Mark

Hi ascort:
I read on the aussieveedubbers forum that:

If the proctor is not build on a VW pan, it can't be considered as a coachbuild VW, but more as a seperate brand.

Have you found more info?

regards
patrick

pbaptist wrote:

Hi Patrick

I must admit that I have not been researching the Proctor since posting the photo and I have not spoken to the Melbourne Ascort owner who owns one. I know almost no details about Proctors, but if they are on a ladder chassis, they probably do not meet the criteria of a coachbuilt for this forum.

Regards

Mark

AW 12 years ago
I found this in an old mag hope it is of intrest.

Andy W  777.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.   ac t.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

While you are adding other coachbuilt pics. Here is another one for the record.

The Proctor was another Australian coachbuilt from the late 1950s. I do not know much about it, but I understand that there were only 4 built.

One of the Victorian Ascort owners also owns a Proctor and postings on other forums would indicate that at least another still exists.

UserPostedImage

I have scans of the internal pages of the magazine, but am not sure if that creates copywrite issues.

ascort wrote:

Hi ascort:
I read on the aussieveedubbers forum that:

Ted Proctor only made 3 of these, plus a fourth with a 25 cm shorter wheelbase specifically for hill climbing, they were a fair bit faster than a beetle, being 125kg lighter 12.5cm lower & very aerodynamic, they were not built on a VW pan, they had a ladder type chassis designed to take the beetle front & rear suspension. The Hillclimb car had a porsche motor, I don't know how many still exist, but there is at least one

If the proctor is not build on a VW pan, it can't be considered as a coachbuild VW, but more as a seperate brand.

Have you found more info?

regards
patrick
While you are adding other coachbuilt pics. Here is another one for the record.

The Proctor was another Australian coachbuilt from the late 1950s. I do not know much about it, but I understand that there were only 4 built.

One of the Victorian Ascort owners also owns a Proctor and postings on other forums would indicate that at least another still exists.

UserPostedImage

I have scans of the internal pages of the magazine, but am not sure if that creates copywrite issues.
I think the red one is a Colani from Germany. Not sure but it looks like it.
The other I have seen also somewhere in a book . Need to search a bit.
Peter
AW 12 years ago
Any one know what thay are ????????????????? The first looks like a toy pedal car to me Andy W  c2092.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Colain GT BJ 1965.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Sounds like you're the perfect guy for the job! If you compile the list in a similar format I'll make it sticky. :thumbup:

pre67vw wrote:

OK I can do that for you. I will provide some of the very basic details on each car.

(Unfortunately most still require restoration, but at least they are now owned by people that recognize their historic value.)

UserPostedImage
JD 13 years ago
Forgot about this steel bodied one off that I spotted outside of a bodyshop a few years ago. The guy told me a long list of panels that it was made from, but I remember the rear window was from a 911.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage