48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Just returned from the 1300km round trip to Bad Camberg with, luckily, absolutely no mechanical setbacks and thought I would share my feelings of disapointment with the weekend.
This is the third one I attended and I didn't feel it had the buzz of the previous ones. I don't actually think I'll bother if there still is one in 2011...

I thought it was great to meet everyone again, like-minded enthusiasts from all over and finally put faces to names from the forum. This made up for the unfortunate weather conditions we had overall.
I think we need to thank ourselves for making the effort to come and not the organisers of what I thought was a missed opportunity. Considering this event only occurs every four years and that participants had to fork out 60 euros just to be allowed in with their cars, I thought there was no effort in preparing any sort of special display or event. Cars were all over the place and in no particular arrangement. I was shocked for example that the family Schulz's silver Hebmuller was left on a parking slot in front of a shop simply because they had not registered; Is this the spirit of the event? I'd rather see that car on the field than the many modified buses which increasingly take over what is supposed to be a meeting for original vintage VWs.
Also, amenities and facilities were appaling, not exactly an inviting welcome to people who travelled from far.
I just think that since 250 participants to the field paid 60 euros each (just do the maths!), a bit more care could have been taken to make the people and their cars feel a bit more special!
I have heard from many people that Hessisch Oldendorf was a far better event two years ago. I went in 2001 and certainly enjoyed it far more than this weekend's event.

On the other hand, I still can't get over the fantastic hospitality, generosity and care shown by Bob and the BBT crew, in both organising the party and the cruise down to Bad Camberg. This was truly a special treat from a genuine enthusiast who really cares.
I can honestly say that this journey wouldn't have been worth it for me if it hadn't been for the BBT experience.

I spoke to a lot of people who had exactly the same impression of this weekend and I really don't mind voicing my opinion even if some don't agree. I think someone needs to or the standards will just keep dropping...

😞
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
2splits
16 years ago
Interesting post. Having never been to Camberg or HO, I really don't have room to talk. But last year I made a choice, Camberg this year, or HO in 2. Well, as you can see, i decided to wait, and I'm glad I did. I hope HO is better organized than what you described about camberg, and I hope that it is truly is a vintage event - leave the lowered cars at home.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Looking at the pictures I have seen, I kind of had the same impression.

Anybody know the specifics yet on HO?
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I had a great time, but I didn't pay to enter.

Wasn't keen on seeing all the pikey looking busses on the field either, but my pal who came with me was loving them, so what can I say? Each to there own.

Shame the weather wasn't a little better though.

JD
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
Oh I had a great time too, don't get me wrong, thanks to the people there. I just think it should have been much better as a show.
vintagevw
16 years ago
I agree with 48REME, was there actually an organisation?
I had also a friend who couldn't entry with his Heb.....,shame shame shame and what about the older people who don't even have internet, the list was full 9 months before the event... think about it.
I enjoyed de show very much and met a lot of friends again but HO is much better.
Can't wait for Lavenham....
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
pre67vw
16 years ago
Got home at 3am this morning, no major problems in Kev's Karmann - seemed to motor along very nicely (although a little damp in places :lol: ). Richard lost his windscreen in his fastback a few miles after getting off the ferry, he got in at 4am and had to go to work today, he must have been knackered!

I agree that the organisation could have been better, 60Euros for a plaque, 2 mugs and a parking space in a muddy field doesn't scream value for money, but I seriously doubt there was much profit at the end of the event. I heard quite a few people say that now the VW dealer is no longer lottermans, the show has lost its reason for being there.

It was great to catch up with the people you only get to see at the international shows and there were still plenty of nice cars there. It could have been better though, not many pre-49 Beetles, one Rometsch Banana (very nice), no Paplers, no Police Hebs. Too many knackered/lowered barn doors for my liking and sadly they were mostly all English.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

Too many knackered/lowered barn doors for my liking and sadly they were mostly all English.

"pre67vw" wrote:

Yes - they should re-name that club the British Split Bus Banger Racers Association or something. :oops:

"Do ye wanna buy a daag?/tarmac ye drive mister?/buy some lucky heather, etc, etc..."
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago

Too many knackered/lowered barn doors for my liking and sadly they were mostly all English.

"JD" wrote:

Yes - they should re-name that club the British Split Bus Banger Racers Association or something. :oops:

"Do ye wanna buy a daag?/tarmac ye drive mister?/buy some lucky heather, etc, etc..."

"pre67vw" wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I heard your car was there but I missed it, would have liked to have met you and had a look around it.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
16 years ago
I had a great time over there, but I must admit that it didn't live up to my expectations in terms of the quantity of 'special' vehicles on display. Not enough pre-'49 stuff for my liking and not as many coachbuilts as I had expected. Maybe the enthusiasm for organising the event has diminished a little since the passing of Willi Lotterman and the loss of their dealership.

Roll on Hessisch....
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
16 years ago

Richard lost his windscreen in his fastback a few miles after getting off the ferry, he got in at 4am and had to go to work today, he must have been knackered!

"pre67vw" wrote:

I had less than two hours sleep before my daughter woke me up. Still knackered now! :lol:

UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
[quote="vintagevw"] the list was full 9 months before the event... think about it.

Really? I wonder why there was still loads of space at the back of the field. I heard any old car could register later on Saturday because they actually had space left. I went to the Lotterman girls in the marquee and asked to get in at 6:30pm on Saturday (more than half of the show already gone anyway) and STILL was told I would have to pay 60 euros! What a farce!
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
I seriously doubt there was much profit at the end of the event.

Well I wonder where the 15000 euros went then, considering that there was a huge list of sponsors who most definitely helped to finance the so-called facilities!

48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
Richard, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal! What a bummer...
I will email you about 'cherry red'... :wink:
vintagevw
16 years ago
Who could take a shower next to the event.....
Oh, there was no...
And only e few toilets for the thousands people!
Could be better!
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
RockStock
16 years ago
i agree a lot with 48REME

yes, HO, so much better organised..the whole town gets involved
HO is REALLY well organised
at HO, cars are arranged in line-ups - how hard can that be to do at BC?
a row of split cabs, then oval cabs, then splits pre49/49-53, ovals, Hebs, Coachbuilts....etc
FAR too many custom cars at BC...its a stock show, KEEP IT STOCK!!
if you prefer custom, this shouldnt be the show for you!
the brit 'roll-in' on the sunday, with all the slammed rides, felt wrong. yeah, like a fart at a funeral
lowered cars can come in, but they need to be RARE. Not a lowered t3!

it was great to see all the BDs there, even though too many (imo) were slammed

cant believe they charge for the vehicles on display!! THATS MADNESS!!!!!!

You Lavenham Guys - you have a great opportunity to put on a great event
just get the basics right. stringent entry rules, good organisation, clear communication on whats going on (how many people knew about the road trip at BC? i didnt), structure, provide every incentive for the rare cars to attend

at BC i saw the silver Heb up the road too. unbelievable it wasnt readily allowed in? i assumed it could have been fake (for it not to have been on the show ground)

the field is too small, too enclosed. time for a rethink
i heard a lot of german cars didnt show because of the weather

Bob/BBT - looks like top generosity to me

dont get me wrong, i loved the show, had a top time, and THANK YOU SO MUCH to the guys that put the show on. would hate it to not continue

StockRocks
mrsherbie
16 years ago
It was a good trip.
Once again BBT Bob opened his doors to hundreds of complete strangers. Fed us and amazed us with his fuelled passion for all shapes of vw's. I dont play vw politics and I do personally also feel the Heb should have been saved for Bug In. I understand having fun with a car, my car is the same in principle but I know more stock people were offended than appreciated the sight of it at this particular event in its current clothes.

We still do truly love you Bob x :wink: and cannot thank you enough for the energy and inspiration you spread amongst us all, but I think in this instance you over estimated other people's ability to see and understand the bigger picture of your actions.

Sadly I agree with 48REME's comments here and also Gary from Brezelwerks 100% on the samba also.
But I dont blame the Lotterman team one bit! their relaxed show style approach is absolutely wonderful! But unfortunately these days the show has become a victim of its own success.
Even more sadly us Brits are the worst criminals in this show destruction mayhem. Thats whats so horrible about this. There is no turning back the clock that will work here.

I quote Rockstock from the samba:

"KEEP BC STOCK!
choose photo vetting
reserve the right to refuse field entry on the day

if modified, entry at the discretion of the organisers, directly related to rarity.
& keep that bar high (ie Bob's Heb gets in, RJs 23w gets in - bar sits just below these)

the BC display field is small. when i go to BC, i want to see stock VWs. the modified look out of place. i'm hoping the organisers have this in hand - it's important
did you look at the cal look line-up at HO? i didn't

imo, a rare car that gets lowered/modified loses a lot of its innocence. for some reason, this innocence doesnt all come back when the car is returned to stock"

The reason ourselves and others drove across 4 countries to this show is because it is one of only a few stock vintage vw shows left for us.

As I said months ago, the selfish organisation of the Bug-In to ride directly on the back of Camberg has destroyed the show.

I doubt we will ever go to Bad Camberg again.
Everyone else in our party feels the same way.

Again we thank the Lotterman family and will never forget the good times.

I feel only disappointment, sadness and anger today:

ssvc thread about thefts at Camberg 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
356boy
16 years ago
totally agree with everything above, those pair of dickheads in that bus also damaged a blue passat in the parking area and then cleared off leaving a st georges chair and all the beer cans, gives the rest of us british a bad name. ok have some fun but not at others expense.

10284.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
16 years ago
Were they part of the group in which a bearded bald headed guy so elegantly threw up at the BBT party among the tables and chairs where we were having drinks? I thought that was something!!! :evil:
lou cypher
16 years ago
Hey guy's this is so true, these are the idiots that get you Brits a bad name and are the sort of people that need to be kept out of the Vintage shows. I know that you shouldn't "tar everyone with the same brush" but it does happen, I was around to see the disgraceful behaviour in the parking lot by these guys.
When they left their rubbish behind a group of Germans passed, looking at the chair & empty cans, commenting that it was typical of Brits!

These are the sort of people we need to discourage from attending HO, I am a veteran now of 4 BC's and I too don't think that it will happen again, due to these mindless idiots and the fact that Willy is no longer the driving force behind it.

I have been to HO since the begining when it was just a small show with not many cars and nothing like it was 2 years ago. This is now the premier show for us hardcore VW fans in Europe. I don't wish to see this behaviour there, maybe Christian should reserve the right to refuse admin, it would be such a shame for a small number to ruin it for the faithfull. :evil:

There was actually an occasion on the saturday night when I nearlly had to show my tridend to one of the "swap things", for the abusive drunken loudmouthing.But life is too short and he who laughs last, laughs the loudest. :twisted:

Does he not know better than to mess with Lou Cypher, maybe I should spell it a little better that they can read Loo-ci-fer :twisted:
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
THE KING IS DEAD,LONG LIVE THE KING.  10298.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.