58BUG
  • 58BUG
  • Regular Topic Starter
20 years ago
Currently having the front and rear windscreen seals replaced. Unfortunately over time the moisture which came in via the old seals has stained the original head liner which I want to replace shortly. Is this a difficult job, does the rear window have to come out again and can anyone recommend a good replacement i.e. like the original full length wool one rather than the perforated variety.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Larry
20 years ago
58bug,

Not only does the rear window have to be removed again but also the two rear side windows. The headliner material gets glued to these areas to help hold the headliner in place.

As far as how hard it is: That all depends on the person that is installing the headliner. If you have patients, GOOD glue, patients, heat gun, patients, good with your hands and patients then you might be able to replace it yourself. Otherwise this is a job for a professional installer.

Hope this helps you decide.
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
rcadmus
20 years ago
Th original headliner for a 58 was cloth- clor was grey, beige or off-whiote, depending on body color
Richard H Cadmus
Larry
20 years ago
Headliners are one of the items on a bug that you should let a profession tackle. It is really easy to mess it up.
Lenny
19 years ago
Hi guys..

If you want your headliner to look like this?? Then take it to a proffessional!! I've been doing this for a long time and I would not attempt it myself. Especially if your car is a 58 then you need to get the German wool headliner and you would hate to hurt that headliner because of the cost.

UserPostedImage
Lenny Copp

www.classicvws.com
SharkAirlines
19 years ago
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats how my ROU (Rometsch) should looks like !!!!

Put your money in the tank, not in the bank (singing)

Larry
19 years ago
Lenny,

Great shot of how the headliner should look after installation. It would be great to have a photo of what you don't want it to look like.