dean
  • dean
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
Hello,
I was wondering if the chassis remaind the same from 57'till 67'?
I have a 58'body and no chassis,and i would like to know what is the right chassis for that year?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
It will fit on a 67 pan though its not really going to look right from underneath. You could use anything up to 65 and get away with it being relatively correct, but any pan without seatbelt mounts on the tunnel (around 59?) is what you really need. Depends what you want to do with the car really.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
dean
  • dean
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
I want to restore it as close to original as possible,it's going to be a hard job because i only have the body,here is a picture from it mounted on my 74 pan,so i can use a chassis up to '59 then?  11942.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
16 years ago

I want to restore it as close to original as possible

"dean" wrote:

You need a '58 floorpan then :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
dean
  • dean
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
yes that would be best,if i'm having trouble to find a '58 i wanted to know what years were the same
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Theres a 58 pan on Bugnet.de, but he wants 600 Euro for it!:shock: :lol: Its a good place to search though.
UserPostedImage
dean
  • dean
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
just took a look at bugnet,the chassis is in nice condition as far as i can see,but that is too much,what is about the price for a chassis?no problem for me if it is in bad shape
pre67vw
16 years ago
There may not be a suitable one available right now, but wait a bit and one will turn up. Depends on how much of a rush you're in. I personally would say €200 is a fair price for a solid pan in need of cleaning up, but then I'm cheap... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
16 years ago
PS. Not sure what documentation you will need with your chassis in Belgium, but may complicate matters buying from Germany?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I wouldn't pay more than around 200 euro either. Floorpans are funny - nearly impossible to get rid of if you are selling, but still some people think they are worth a fortune. I had a rock solid one that went for 50 euros! Worth a lot more in Germany with the papers though.

Get the best one you can, so you can use the original pan halfs. They are so much better than any copies.

UserPostedImage
dean
  • dean
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
thanks alot guys for the reply's,for papers i guess everything that comes
normally with a car,but i doubt if you buy a chassis the small ID plates that come on the body wont be delivered with the chassis so i dont really know how you can solve this?
I have my'74 pan in excellent condition with papers,i think if i put it on the sidewalk with a for free sign it wont be gone for weeks!!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
If your body has its identity plate still, then you could....

...do this. 
UserPostedImage
dean
  • dean
  • Guest Topic Starter
16 years ago
unfortunately the only thing that remained on the body is some electrical wiring!!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Ah! Is it perhaps worth buying a complete scrap or rusted out car (with a good floorpan perhaps) for the identity? Your body looks like its very good.

Have you tried Autoscout24.de or Mobil.de or the Belgian equivalent?
UserPostedImage
djkeev
16 years ago

Hello,
I was wondering if the chassis remaind the same from 57'till 67'?
I have a 58'body and no chassis,and i would like to know what is the right chassis for that year?

"dean" wrote:

Hi, you may no longer need this information but I'll put it out there in case it helps others.

My research indicates that a pan from 1952 thru 1965 (pre-ball joint) will swap out with another. Minor differences, fuel pipe exit in front of firewall is moved for different years, gas pedal bracket, brake line brackets are different, seat tracks may be different in the very early 5o's. The basic pan and head set up should bolt up to any other year.
After ball joints 1966 and up the mounting point on the front beam is about 8mm higher, not a problem for putting an older body onto a newer pan but can be troublesome for putting a newer body onto an older pan. I do not know for sure if the pan stayed the same or what changes were made from 67 until the end of standard beetle production. I also am unaware if a pre 1952 pan fits anything else, I suspect the answer is yes though.

Super Beetle has an entirely different pan.

Hope you found a good pan by now, if not, maybe this info will help.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
harveypj
16 years ago
If you are still looking for a chassis...
Check out the 'historic volkswagen owners club' clssified section.
There is a 58 for sale suggesting suitability as a donor chassis.
(link is listed in links section above)
Stock......the new custom