gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
HI, i've been using lrp fuel for a long time for my stock 30hp engine, but now it seems that the supply has all gone from my area, is it ok to use straight un- leaded or do i have to use an additive?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
I was told by John Maher when he built a 25hp engine for me, as i only drove a very limited mileage(1500 a year ,average)he did not think using unleaded fuel would have any detremental effects on the engine.
He also said that if an engine had signifcant mileage on it, using leaded fuel,that to change to unleaded for a limited milage per year would be fine as the necessary parts in the cylinder heads would have built up a coating.
One man's opinion,but probably the finest engine builder here in the U.K.
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago

He also said that if an engine had signifcant mileage on it, using leaded fuel,that to change to unleaded for a limited milage per year would be fine as the necessary parts in the cylinder heads would have built up a coating.
One man's opinion,but probably the finest engine builder here in the U.K.

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Not one man's opinion..."lead memory" is a widely accepted fact.

Q: Will switching from leaded to unleaded fuel/gasoline immediately damage a car engine incompatible with (not fit to run on) unleaded?
A: No. Lead is retained in the car's engine long after it has stopped using leaded gasoline, this is called lead memory. Lead memory ranges from between 10,000 to 20,000 km. depending on prevailing driving conditions.

https://www.Shell.com 

John.
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Many thanks, is there an additive that can be used aswell?
djkeev
16 years ago
Hi,

Myth, myth, myth.
Unless your car engine was manufactured from complete garbage metal, both time and studies have shown that rare is the engine harmed by the lack of lead. VW has demonstrated through the years that it is tough enough to take unleaded fuels with no harm. Worst case recommendations, if you are really worried about it, is to use only premium fuels, you have that in Europe anyway without the lower grade option we have here in the USA.

This non lead hype was very big here (USA) when the Federal Government banned lead for use in motor vehicles, it was almost at a panic state, kind of like the fabled Computer glitch when turning to the year 2000 on New Years eve.

Rest comfortably and go for a LONG drive.

Dave
"If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you find the time to do it over again later?"
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago
If you want to take the belt and bracers approach fit an Ampco Oiler:You'll find them here. 

George Folchi, renowned Judson restorer bought all the existing stock and sells them at a very reasonable price. They introduce Marvel Mystery Oil by drip feed instead of adding it to the fuel tank. They keep the top end nicely lubed.
John.
harveypj
15 years ago
I've just got some of this,(one of many write ups, this one from the MG owners club) from what I can work out, if you are going to use an addative this is the one to go for. Originaly recomended to me by Jules at KK. I got the regular not the plus as the leaded fuel of the time only had an octane number of 70 so to boost the current 95 unleaded is cirtainly not neccesary.
£10 for 250ml that treats 250 litres (1p/ltr).
If original VW engines were ok for unleaded, why do they now sell 'unleaded heads'? just a thought.
Thought I'd be better safe than sorry, can't do any harm.

Castrol Valvemaster, the best protection after lead
Ultimate protection against valve seat recession
Protects your engine under all driving conditions
Reduces the need to re-tune
Keeps fuel system clean and provides excellent corrosion protection

Castrol Valvemaster and Castrol Valvemaster Plus use phosphorus based additive technology to provide your engine with the best protection against Valve Seat Recession (VSR) after lead. Protection is provided in all driving conditions, including prolonged high speed motorway use, something many other lead replacement products can not offer.
Castrol Valvemaster Plus also provides added protection and an octane boost achieving the correct level to reduce engine pinking and knocking and the need to retune.

Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC)
Castrol Castrol Valvemaster and Castrol Valvemaster Plus are endorsed by the FBHVC. Castrol Valvemaster Plus was shown to offer the highest protection against VSR of all the protects tested by the FBHVC.

15444.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I have never been sure about the fuel issue either but I was forced to go unleaded way before this country when I was in NZ as they went over much earlier. I have always used unleaded, never trusted LRP ( thats just me, if I cant understand something I wont do it :lol: ) and always used an additive and still do, used various types, but valvemaster has certainly been around since the start. I do tend to find the bottles themselves break down or leak long before I have used them up as I am lazy and leave one in the boot of each car and I dont do enough mileage in 10yrs to get through one :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann