Chloe
16 years ago
Hello, this is my first post. Im hopeing i do this right. I have has an ongoing intrest in beetles, and last year bought my first - being a 72. (not all that inteesting i know) but later on in summer, after a couple of months in persuit of this particular beetle i bought a 1967 1500. Im only 19 an im a student - so money to do up "Bertie" is somewhat scarce. The main issue with him is the boot floor - the part that goes over the engine. I have looked up the cost of the raplacement piece - i have inculded a picture - just to make it clear. The thing is it seems like a big bit of car to replace - and also it is just the flat bit over the engine which is rotten (due to a leak in the window) - im just wodnering if any one has any advice on whether i should replce the whole piece - or alternativly i know someone who could make up the flat piece which goes over the engine.

I could do with some general advice as well. How rare are these 1967 1500? Ive been tying to get a rough estimation of what they are worth from looking them up on ebay but i cant even find one for sale on there. I paid £625 for him. But millage wise he's been round the clock once - so done about 104,000 miles.

Would be eally greatfull for any advice information. I hope this summer to get him up and running - was hopeingit would be in time for run to the sun in may - but i think thats dubtfull.

Thanks - Chloe

What parts are exculsive to this model? Does it make them very expensive and hard to come by?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

The main issue with him is the boot floor - the part that goes over the engine. im just wodnering if any one has any advice on whether i should replce the whole piece - or alternativly i know someone who could make up the flat piece which goes over the engine.

"Chloe " wrote:

As a student, I'd get it plated and get her on the road. You could cut a patch panel from a scrapper. It'll do the car no favours to be sitting around. You can have it repaired really nicely later on, when you have the money, as its a big job. You might want to get a new window seal installed to stop the leak though.

I could do with some general advice as well. How rare are these 1967 1500? Ive been tying to get a rough estimation of what they are worth from looking them up on ebay but i cant even find one for sale on there. I paid £625 for him. But millage wise he's been round the clock once - so done about 104,000 miles.

"Chloe " wrote:

That sounds like a good price, but so much depends on condition. Mileage isn't really important after all these years, unless its ultra low of course. 104,000 isn't exaclty a lot of miles in 40 years.

What parts are exculsive to this model? Does it make them very expensive and hard to come by?

"Chloe " wrote:

Lots of bits are exclusively 67, but its not normally a problem unless you are going for a 100point resto. You can find what you need, but you may have to search a bit harder. 🙂
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago
I personally wouldn't get it plated, in my opinion it would more than likely make it more of a mess to fix later. But just because it's a large panel doesn't mean it all needs to be used, it all depends on how much has rusted. If it's just the flat area, then you could cut the panel down to be just the flat area and get that welded in, making it a smaller job. It's unusual for the vertical firewall part to be rusted to the point of needing replacement.

If you're on a tight budget, go the scrap yard route, but the hard part is cutting it out.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
I wouldn't normally recommend to plate it either, but I was thinking in terms of a students budget. Thats an expensive part to buy and fit. It can always be re-done properly later on.
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago
I think my concern would be the size of the plate required without any ribs pressed into it, it's not like a little temporary patch somewhere - if it was then I'd agree with you. I'm sure it would be possible to get one from a VW breakers, maybe MegaBug  or Volksheaven 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Oh, I'm with you now. Yes, for sure use a cut out panel. I wasn't suggesting clagging some old bit of plate on there!

Remember kids - fitting panels correctly means leaving no wrinkles in the gaffer tape! And be sure to use stainless self tappers for a lasting repair. 😃 [/i]
UserPostedImage
Chloe
16 years ago
Thankyou very much - i hope to get him up and running as soon as possible. I havn't had a chance to drive him as yet - please say it's much different than a 1972 1200? Because that was pretty sacry in all honesty! I know they have the disc brakes as opposed to drum - does that make a big difference?
mrsherbie
16 years ago
Congratulations looks like you got a 67 nice and cheap :D

I agree with all the above about the boot floor, I am thinking it is probably more repairable than you might think, I would expect right under the window due to neglected window rubbers, and the boot floor sides (the inner rear wheel arches) which are a common spot. Its quite uncommon for the entire flat boot floor area to be rotten, you would be very unlucky. But then it is many years since I had a british beetle, and they do suffer more rust.

So the answer is both good and bad, Yes unfortunately 67 parts are more expensive, the same as any beetle with 1 yr only special body features, usually good 67 doors/bonnet etc will be much more expensive than even earlier 60's panels due to their limited availablity.
But, on the upside, you now have the car, and it will only appreciate if you look after it well as beetles are slowly rising. A 67 will always be worth something, there is quite a niche market for them.
So it is worth you hanging on to :wink: And having some learning fun with along the way 😃

There are a couple of websites devoted to 67's
This one has good literature/info ( obviously be aware of different country specs)

https://www.blackbeansource.com/1967/ 

I dont personally know very much about 67's but my partner had one, we also have quite a few 67 parts for sale, but they are'nt cheap.
Your car looks very good, try to keep all the cars original panels and repair them rather than replacing them. On a 67 its probably the cheaper option. If its wings are original, whatever you do, dont replace them with repro's!! Even if they look tatty. Genuine wings are 100% heavier and better.

First off you need to find a good reliable person to do some intermediate welding repairs you might need, and fit any new window rubbers your car needs, just to get it dry inside. Wet floor/damp cars are horrible!! And get it driving, everything else can follow later. A car with a running engine is so much better for motivation!

Join a good local club, or go to some shows, look for 67's, find and talk to other 67 owners. Being female will always break the ice :wink: :D

Anna
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Chloe
16 years ago
Haha! Yeah ill bring on the femanine charm! Thanks for all your advice! I think little Bertie is soon to go for a consulation with a welder to see what he recomends! Thanks guys!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Find a welder that has a clue about Beetles too! I've seen some right bodges done, even if the standard of welding was good, it was still done all kinds of wrong. Some welders are all at sea if its not a Mondeo. Try to get someone who comes with some sort of recommendation.
UserPostedImage