overrestored
16 years ago
Wednesday... two days ago... Dick Christensen's Dannenhauer and Stauss won first in Class... German Sports... against Mercedes Gullwings and Roadsters etc... and my Beeskow. A fantastic Gullwing Mercedes... just out of restoration... worth around 700k I would guess... came in Second... and our Beeskow came in Third. This was at the first annual Carmel by the Sea Concours. This Concours is part of the Pebble Beach/Monterey Historics Weekend.

Dick's car almost won Best of show... it was tied with a very rare Corvette... and after an hour of argument between the 14 judges... the Dannenhauer lost.

Both the Dannenhauer and the Beeskow have been invited to the Amelia Island concours in 2009. They are going to have a class for coachbuilt Volkswagens.

This is great news for VW's worldwide. They have been conspicuously absent from the concours scene. Hopefully we will get them into Pebble someday.
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Wow!Nice one.
If you get them into Pebble Beach,that will be some achievement.
Do you have any pictures for us Eric?
overrestored
16 years ago
mistake... ignore this post
overrestored
16 years ago
Check the split forum on theSamba... pictures that Dicks crew took are there.

What was crazy... is that here were these two VW's... and nobody had ever seen them... Everyone knows Talbot Lagos... Delahayes...Delages... Bugattis... etc... and the Dannenhauer and the Beeskow stumped everyone!

The judges were crawling all over the cars. NONE of them had ever seen either model or even heard of them... and they were serious big league judges. The judges all went back to their various cars and came back with cameras... to document the cars. That was pretty fun.

overrestored
16 years ago
here is a link to some of the photos from this show.

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/inaugural-carmel-concours/ 

below is a photo I swiped from theSamba of the D&S  11673.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
overrestored
16 years ago
I drove our Beeskow to this show and back. We drove up on the main 101 highway... and back down on Highway 1 through Big Sur. Fantastic sunny california day to see the dramatic big sur coastline. What a nice drive.

The rear pulley leaks a bit... so I had to re-detail the engine area when we got up to the show... and wipe off the bugs.

If you have an all original low mileage car... I think maybe it is important to keep it as safe as possible... like a museum piece. But if your car has been restored... you should drive it because you can always just re-restore it and it won't hurt the originality.

2splits
16 years ago

I drove our Beeskow to this show and back. We drove up on the main 101 highway... and back down on Highway 1 through Big Sur. Fantastic sunny california day to see the dramatic big sur coastline. What a nice drive.

The rear pulley leaks a bit... so I had to re-detail the engine area when we got up to the show... and wipe off the bugs.

If you have an all original low mileage car... I think maybe it is important to keep it as safe as possible... like a museum piece. But if your car has been restored... you should drive it because you can always just re-restore it and it won't hurt the originality.

"overrestored" wrote:

Good for you. The perfect attitude!
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
overrestored
16 years ago
I think that you are probably right to a degree about preserving the cars. If we drive all the rare coachbuilts... then there is a risk of them being destroyed in accidents. As an example is the Dannenhauer from Wolfsburg that was in that bad front end collision a few years ago.

Over time I guess the cars will all go away if we continue to drive them... at some point they need to become museum pieces.

I think this is what you are trying to say eh.

I agree that it is a big risk to drive a car that you cannot replace. I will probably donate my car to a museum when I get to be 90 years old. So I have another 45 years of driving to do!  11696.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andy Sparks
16 years ago

I think that you are probably right to a degree about preserving the cars. If we drive all the rare coachbuilts... then there is a risk of them being destroyed in accidents. As an example is the Dannenhauer from Wolfsburg that was in that bad front end collision a few years ago.

Over time I guess the cars will all go away if we continue to drive them... at some point they need to become museum pieces.

I think this is what you are trying to say eh.

I agree that it is a big risk to drive a car that you cannot replace. I will probably donate my car to a museum when I get to be 90 years old. So I have another 45 years of driving to do!

"overrestored" wrote:

Funny you should say that. i have just stated a museum ;lol:

cool garage. 😎 i wish i had that sort of space.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
2splits
16 years ago
Whats under those other covers 😉
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
overrestored
16 years ago
My wife's 1959 convt. D 356... scrappy original but nice that way. she can take it to the market with no worry about door dings.

Eric
356boy
16 years ago
i can see a samba down the end as well :shock:
1965VwNB
16 years ago
i missed it . i just found out when i read this other sites. 1 hours from my home. i wish to see ...
www.deafvolks.com