Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Hello People

A quick post to introduce myself. I've been away from the VW scene proper for some years but my juices are getting whetted again as I am rekindling my interest in 1950s Beetles. I had my first bug in about 1980, it was a 1956 model actually built in late 1955 and registered 470 FMT, it was black and when I bought it (for £50) it was completely solid and rust free but had suffered at the hands of a quasi customiser who had painted it matt black, stuck red fun fur over the original head lining and painted the cream upholstery gloss black!

I held on to it for several years and during that time joined the Historic VW club and became quite passionate about old bugs. My aim was always originality anad when I eventually sold 470 FMT it was completely stock though I admit not restored to a high standard, however, it had been my every day driver taking me to and from work every day...

Other bugs I owned during the 80s were;

RNC 676 a Strato Silver 1954 Model

JFX 892 a Black 1956 Model

TRO 526 a Strato Silver 1954 Model

WDR 276 a Black 1960 Model

0GX 777 a Black 1953 Sun Roof Model

663 DP a Ruby Red 1961 Model

And one that I didn't own but knew well was ULO 14F a black 1956 Sun Roof model.

Does anyone know the fate of any of these bugs? I feel sure that at least a couple of them might still be around...

I have always owned VWs - I now drive a Golf Estate and have a 1972 World Champion Beetle (which will soon be featured in Ultra VW magazine), recently though I have become moroe and more interested in looking out for a 50s bug to get me back to where I started - hopefully though this time, with a little more cash in my pocket and the benefit of hindsight I'll do it properly :roll: .

So, that's me, I'm going to be at Lavenham on Saturday and looking forward to seeing some nice cars.

Mike

ps. incidently, I don't think I paid more than £100 for any of those 50s bugs - those were the days...8)
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
Welcome Mike.
They say it's better the second time around,so lets hope it is for you.
Doesn't the DVLA have a facility were you can check,by a cars registration number, whether it is taxed at the moment,or if it has been declared SORN.Either way you would know if the cars still exist.
I'm sure this has been mentioned on here before.And i'm sure our beloved leader Rob Amos knows how to do it.
He'll be along in a minuite,if he's not too busy in the garage.(polishing Yan's Heb).
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Use the VehicleEnquiry sidebar button on the DVLA website .

I ran those through the checker and only one is taxed. 663 DP wasn't recognised, presumably scrapped? 😞

The vehicle details for RNC 676 are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1984
Date of First Registration 14 04 1955
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1192CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null

The vehicle details for JFX 892 are:

Date of Liability 01 03 2009
Date of First Registration 03 01 1956
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLACK

The vehicle details for TRO 526 are:

Date of Liability 26 02 1982
Date of First Registration 01 01 1955
Year of Manufacture 1955
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour SILVER

The vehicle details for WDR 276 are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1984
Date of First Registration 21 03 1962
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLACK

The vehicle details for OGX 777 are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1980
Date of First Registration 12 11 1953
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1131CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLACK

663 DP - Vehicle details could not be found

Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Andrew, that's fantastic! I had no idea you could do that, I might have to tap a few more numbers into the DVLA website...

So from your list it looks as though JFX 892 is still on the road somewhere? This is very good news as this is the 50s bug that I owned the longest. I traded it in against a 1973 1300 sometime in the late 80s and at that time it was still a solid stock little bug.

If anyone knows this cars whereabouts I'd be very pleased to hear from them, even better if it turns out to be for sale! :?

I have some old photos of JFX somewhere, I'll see if I can hook them out.

Thanks again

Mike 😎
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Mike,

Nice bit of VW history there. Sorry, can't help with any of your old cars though.

If you're interested, I have a *very* solid December 1959 RHD Beetle for sale at the moment. Unfortunately, times have moved on and it's a little more expensive than your £50 Oval! I'm just up the road from you, so drop me an email if you're interested:
[email protected] 07771 766976

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Rich

You have email :wink:

Mike
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hello :d Wow you have certainly had some great cars. And thats a very nice bit of Fjord? you have there Mr Oakley :d You are like the more proper grown up cousin of us tatty rusty kids with your nice clean shiny Garnet and Fjord fetish :lol: :beer:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
RockStock
15 years ago
it's great when early enthusiasts are around - guys from the 60s/70s/early 80s
provides continuity, history, & therefore added value to the scene - if you know what i mean:?:

yes, post up some pics of your old ovals! welcome back
StockRocks