mrsherbie
15 years ago
Ok, much as how I hate to pick bones on someone else's car for sale, but this one is on another forum and certainly a rare beast...
I could'nt decide if it really is an oval, split or well :?: hence posted in chat. Although it does have grooved doors. What are the glass logos on the rear windows?
Mostly I love Mr Oakley's question to the seller...."is it from Uraguay" :lol:

However , on the upside, if it is a 53 from a hot climate, maybe not rusty?

....dash :shock:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Looks like a beauty! I especially like the ad "...will swap for Split Screen Bus of similar value.."
I didn't think you could still get a Split Screen bus for £500? :twisted: :lol:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
15 years ago
Sorry but to me this really is an irretrievable pile of rubbish! That dash will give me nightmares tonight! :shock:
crazydaze
15 years ago

Looks like a beauty! I especially like the ad "...will swap for Split Screen Bus of similar value.."
I didn't think you could still get a Split Screen bus for £500? :twisted: :lol:

Rich Oakley wrote:

Hi Rich

I was approached at Volksfest on the Restowagen stand by a guy talking about a green Zwitter he had bought that had'nt turned out to be quite the car he thought it may be. Infact the same guy tracked me down at the Volksworld show too. Where abouts was this advert originally put? If it is the same car, it sounded like a classic case of someone buying a car without doing the research that these cars need.

Is this a Split Bug equivelent of the Columbian Barndoors that are popping up on the samba etc? Just how much is 'wrong'? I can see the wings, headlamps, dash, valance, seats, trim, rear lights etc but is it 'unrestorable'?

Alex.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Hi Rich

I was approached at Volksfest on the Restowagen stand by a guy talking about a green Zwitter he had bought that had'nt turned out to be quite the car he thought it may be. Infact the same guy tracked me down at the Volksworld show too. Where abouts was this advert originally put? If it is the same car, it sounded like a classic case of someone buying a car without doing the research that these cars need.

Is this a Split Bug equivelent of the Columbian Barndoors that are popping up on the samba etc? Just how much is 'wrong'? I can see the wings, headlamps, dash, valance, seats, trim, rear lights etc but is it 'unrestorable'?

Alex.

crazydaze wrote:

Hi Alex,

I think the ad was on Volkszone. Just about everything appears to be un-original on the car except the doors and decklid. You're right- it's the equivalent of the S.American nightmare Barndoors (completely updated, badly restored etc). You would need to get the chassis number of this one to confirm that it is a Zwitter. I personally wouldn't touch it.

See you at the Sussex show?

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
crazydaze
15 years ago
Yup will defo be at Sussex, absolute top show imo! 😎

Thanks for the info, the guy who owns that caris very much London based I believe, infact I'm not so sure that car is even in the UK yet. (not that he was offering it for sale at the time, infact he was asking for advice/direction on restoration etc.)

Alex.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I believe that only the body is of 'undetermined age' but the pan is 60's. Not a problem at all from a drivabililty point of view for the current owner, but certainly a hit in value unfortunately.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann