CGS
  • CGS
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi,
New here ... not auto mechanically "inclined" at all. More like a customer for an "Idiot's Guide." Have been playing around with my dad's '59 beetle - tune-up, brakes, new starter, (Thanks mostly to "Bug-Me" videos.) Have an issue with steering. The car doesn't pull like it's out of alignment. However, when turning or veering right it doesn't seem to want to come back out of the turn like it should. I can return the wheel, but the car doesn't respond in synch. It is eventually righted, but I don't feel I have the control I should have. I don't know even where to start to solve this prob. I've got Haynes, Chiltons, and a couple other books. When reading up on the steering section, it is total Greek to me! Any help in "Idiot's Speak" would be greatly appreciated. (The Idiot, of course, being me.) Thanks!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Sounds like the steering box could be knackered. Has it been adjusted (tightened) recently? Jack the front wheels off the ground. Grab a wheel and turn it from full lock to full lock. Is there any 'binding' or resistance at any point? If so, there's wear in the steering box.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
CGS
  • CGS
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Okay...I know I said that I am the Idiot, but even "knackered" required me to do a search. I found that there were several uses of the word in British slang, some less appropriate for this forum than others. I interpret the word to mean that my steering box may be "tired", "past its prime", and in need of replacement. I was able to turn each wheel quite smoothly, no binding or resistance at any point. Maybe the steering box is not "knackered"? The steering box has not been adjusted any time in the last fifteen years at least - although the car has not been driven during that time either. If it needs adjusting, (steering box) how do I go about doing that? -Thanks!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
You're correct- 'knackered' = 'kippered'.

Before adjusting the steering box, check all the other components. Any free play in the tie-rod ends?
Check that the drop-arm (the big chunk of metal that connects the steering box to the inner tie-rods) is firmly secured to the steering box. If the pinch bolt securing the drop-arm onto the steering box output shaft is loose, this can cause free play.
As the car has been sitting for many years, make sure that the king-pins are packed full of grease.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
CGS
  • CGS
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Rich,

You've been very patient with me. Thanks!

I checked the tie-rod ends, no free play. They seem stable. I checked the drop-arm. It is firmly secured to the steering box. There was no play in the bolt securing the drop-arm onto the steering box ourput shaft. It's very tight. I also greased the king-pins. As I have never done something like this before, I packed grease until "gobs" of it were coming out. Not out of the nipple from where I attached my grease gun but from the joints on the unit supporting the king-pins. Is this correct? I still have the car up off the ground. I suspect that we have not yet solved the problem, rather made some necessary maintenance . What should be my next step?

Again, thanks!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Sounds like you greased the kingpins correctly.

If you're sure there's no excess play in the tie-rod ends, I would have the tracking/alignment checked before going any further (just incase). If that doesn't solve the problem, have a go at adjusting the steering box.